Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 09:01 PM

16,587 posts, read 8,605,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Maybe it's just our families and circle of friends, but all 5 of my sister-in-laws (both sides of family) and several of my divorced female friends will only travel with one or more of their grown children. These are women 60 to 65 y/o and their offspring are 24 to 34 y/o. All the women are divorced, all the "kids" are single. In 80% of the cases the grown kids live near or with the mom...it's not like they never see each other.

Curious if this the norm with other divorced women and grown children?
I don't know if it is the norm today, but it is a disturbing trend if reflective of a significant number of people.

Boys in this country are losing their masculinity at an alarming rate, and it is likely in part because of being raised by single moms without their dads influence.
Worse, our culture is coddling boys and making manly behavior socially unacceptable. This will have negative long term consequences for our society and culture.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 09:23 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I don't know if it is the norm today, but it is a disturbing trend if reflective of a significant number of people.

Boys in this country are losing their masculinity at an alarming rate, and it is likely in part because of being raised by single moms without their dads influence.
Worse, our culture is coddling boys and making manly behavior socially unacceptable. This will have negative long term consequences for our society and culture.

`
Couldn't disagree with you more.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:29 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

`
This has nothing to do with the OP.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:33 PM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
I got tired of typing "nieces and nephews" and "offspring" was shorter. No offense meant!

I don't want to cook for company....any company. We rarely cook....we eat out nightly. I have SEEN all of the SILs houses, other than 1, they are slobs, especially in the kitchen. These moms tend to do everything for their grown kids (kids...shorter than offspring but to me a kid is well under 30, under 20). Last time we saw 2 sets of them (4 kids total), they basically sat on sofas, occasionally looking up to ask mom to get them a drink or a snack. My guess is once these kids see their options are few at eateries, mom will offer to cook for them. And knowing how messy she is, then I'll HAVE to cook for them (easier than cleaning up someone else's mess).

And as I said before, at a family funeral two kids were checking phone msgs. in the church.
My son was occasionally looking (quickly) at his phone during my husband's wake. Only a couple of his friends showed up. Many had valid excuses, but some didn't. They just didn't show up.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:40 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
No idea on my SILs friends (all but one works fulltime). Our last 2 sets of houseguests here were each comprised of two women. Two married gals whose husbands are a bit older and weren't up for the trip. The other was a single gal and a widow who have begun to travel together since the other became a widow. BTW..all these women have grown kids and not one of them brought any! Or even inquired about traveling with them. And I actually know two of their offspring quite well...am godmother to one of them.
That's because they already had someone to travel with I would imagine. Not everyone can come up with someone companionable who is free to travel whenever they are, so they travel with their kids. If you don't have a problem with those women who brought each other as companions, why is it so difficult to think that your SIL also would prefer to bring a companion? I understand that manners mean checking with the host first, but I really don't understand why you apparently think it's fine for some of your guest to travel in pairs, but not others?

Old 03-12-2018, 09:43 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My son was occasionally looking (quickly) at his phone during my husband's wake. Only a couple of his friends showed up. Many had valid excuses, but some didn't. They just didn't show up.
I am sorry for your loss. It is sad that his friends did not realize the importance of supporting him, and you, during that difficult time.

However, IMHO, someone quickly checking their phone, for example, to see if people who were expected to come and hadn't arrived left a message, at the far less structured wake or visitation is much different than someone on their phone in the middle of a religious service such as a funeral.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:20 PM

343 posts, read 229,649 times
My mom travels with her girlfriends from work (they are all retired now but still travel to Florida or Italy together), she also goes with her neighbors- sometimes they bring spouses and sometimes not. I've never been on a trip with just my mom and my sister but I'd LOVE to. In fact I think I'll bring that up as soon as things calm down enough at home that I can leave my husband to man the house for a week.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:44 PM

3,252 posts, read 2,337,656 times
My son and my husband travel together because they have similar interests in things and places that I am not interested in. Last week they were skiing in California. Doesn't seem odd to me at all.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:48 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
I was going to make a smart a$$ comment but my Mother says if I do, our trip to Rome is off!

Old 03-12-2018, 10:49 PM

16,587 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Couldn't disagree with you more.
Let me guess, a single mom who wants to believe women can do it all without the aid of a man in their life?

Even if I am a little off, rest assured two parent households are the best environment to raise children in. If it were single dads, I suspect the kids would be lacking in other ways.

Additionally this helicopter parenting is typically more a female phenomenon perpetuated well beyond adolescence.
Kids and young adults must mature by scraping their knees without mommy making it all better. Yet far too many pajama boys are living in the basement, mostly with their mothers consent, if not approval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships