Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 09:16 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
You have no right to "say your piece" and THEN end the discussion. Either say what you think and take the feedback that comes with it, or don't open your mouth to begin with.

People that can dish it out but can't take it are called cowards!

P.S. I've always loved the phrase "Don't get mad, GET EVEN!"
So is this directed straight at me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 09:21 AM

1,166 posts, read 876,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
So is this directed straight at me?
No directly at you, lots of people both on the internet and IRL do the same thing. You are just one of many, and I'm trying to understand the thought process and reasoning, or lack thereof, behind doing it.

I'm trying to figure out why people think they can label others and dismiss them and their point of view without actually refuting it or having a discussion. As I said, either people shouldn't say anything at all, and just "dismiss" them in their heads, or they should speak up and be ready for whatever comes their way, you can't dish something out and be unable to take it back. You can't have it both ways!

Old 03-11-2018, 09:26 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,937 times
Quite obviously, no one has shut you up.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
Quite obviously, no one has shut you up.
You wanna shut me up? Refute me ideologically!

Old 03-11-2018, 09:57 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,871,611 times
Quote:
It's what weak people do when they have no real stance or argument, or don't wish to defend their position on something. It's just a way of causually dismissing someone without having to refute them or have a real discussion!

Don't comment on something if you can't handle comments back! And if your position can't withstand the slightest bit of prodding or criticism, it's probably not a very wise position!

P.S. In regards to my OP, I'd say anyone who wants to slap a label on someone and shut down a conversation shows a great amount of "entitlement" on that person's part! I'll discuss and argue with someone until I'm blue in the face, I'll actually tell them WHY they are wrong, not just "You're an xxx, end of discussion!"
Pot, meet kettle.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Pot, meet kettle.
Don't see the connection? Where have I been proven wrong in this thread? Where have my ideas been refuted? Who have I been unwilling to engage with? Or simply labelled them and dismissed them? Please show me! I just don't see it!

The whole reason I made a comment was to get comments back and start a discussion. I ENCOURAGE people to prod and criticize my ideas, but most don't want to. They want to criticize the person, their tone and demeanor, basically everything else but what they're actually saying!

Old 03-11-2018, 11:29 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Don't see the connection? Where have I been proven wrong in this thread? Where have my ideas been refuted? Who have I been unwilling to engage with? Or simply labelled them and dismissed them? Please show me! I just don't see it!

The whole reason I made a comment was to get comments back and start a discussion. I ENCOURAGE people to prod and criticize my ideas, but most don't want to. They want to criticize the person, their tone and demeanor, basically everything else but what they're actually saying!
What's the point about revenge, though? How does "getting even" fit in "ideologically"?
M

Old 03-11-2018, 12:24 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
"Entitled" isn't a name, it's a description.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
"Entitled" isn't a name, it's a description.
No, it's casually dismissing someone without addressing what they are saying.

Are some people "entitled"? Of course, but pointing it out does nothing to further the conversation or show them the error of their ways. All you are doing is labeling someone without addressing anything they've said.

It's a weak cop out to get out of a discussion, likely perpetrated by someone who cannot defend their position. Like I said, if you're not willing to engage someone, don't bother replying at all.

And as I've pointed out, thinking you can say your piece and then shut the other person down shows a great deal of "entitlement" on the other persons part!

Old 03-11-2018, 12:55 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
No, it's casually dismissing someone without addressing what they are saying.

Are some people "entitled"? Of course, but pointing it out does nothing to further the conversation or show them the error of their ways. All you are doing is labeling someone without addressing anything they've said.

It's a weak cop out to get out of a discussion, likely perpetrated by someone who cannot defend their position. Like I said, if you're not willing to engage someone, don't bother replying at all.

And as I've pointed out, thinking you can say your piece and then shut the other person down shows a great deal of "entitlement" on the other persons part!
I agree with your point, but it isn't really name calling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships