Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 10:13 AM

1,166 posts, read 876,782 times

Advertisements

Why do some people think they can just call someone else a name ("entitled" is the first word that comes to mind) and it invalidates anything they've said? I think it's just a way to shut down a conversation without having one, or you have no argument against them so you just throw out ad-hom personal attacks rather than refuting what they've said.

There's many words people sling around thinking it absolutely refutes and negates anything the other person said. A few others I can think of are "liberal", "****", "regressive" or any other empty insult that's meant to belittle someone else's position without actually refuting it.

Just like violence is the last resort of someone with no argument and no brains, name calling is right there next to it. It undermines real conversations and shows the mental capacity of the person exclaiming them!

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 11:30 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post

Just like violence is the last resort of someone with no argument and no brains, name calling is right there next to it. It undermines real conversations and shows the mental capacity of the person exclaiming them!

What do you guys think?
I think you just did it yourself. There is a time for violence and it doesn't mean the person is stupid and has no argument and you shouldn't call them names.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:41 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
That's called labeling. I think it's common for everyone to apply labels to other people. Like when you same someone without an argument has no brains, you're labeling them as "brainless".

Old 03-10-2018, 12:02 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Why do some people think they can just call someone else a name ("entitled" is the first word that comes to mind) and it invalidates anything they've said? I think it's just a way to shut down a conversation without having one, or you have no argument against them so you just throw out ad-hom personal attacks rather than refuting what they've said.

There's many words people sling around thinking it absolutely refutes and negates anything the other person said. A few others I can think of are "liberal", "****", "regressive" or any other empty insult that's meant to belittle someone else's position without actually refuting it.

What do you guys think?
Agree!

Old 03-10-2018, 12:12 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:

What do you guys think?
I definitely see it happen a lot in P&OC and I think it IS often a tactic to not have to engage, which does make me suspicious that the person has no argument and would rather resort to "me vs. you." I also think it can often be a sign of low intelligence or education, whether on the internet or IRL. It does depend on context, though. If someone is being completely impossible and there really is no getting through to them, even just to hear the other side of an argument or whatever, it's like talking to a wall, I think then it's just a way to brush someone off - and may even be a true label in that situation.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I think you just did it yourself. There is a time for violence and it doesn't mean the person is stupid and has no argument and you shouldn't call them names.

Have you ever heard the phrase "Complaining without offering a solution is called whining?"

I view name calling the exact same why. Sure, if you disagree with me, call me names, but at the same time refute what I'm saying. Simply calling someone an "asshat" or whatever other name you want to use without ALSO ripping their argument apart is weak, and proves they don't have a leg to stand on as far as their position goes.

And yes, a person who must express themselves with physical violence instead of words is a stupid person, period. Is there a time for violence? Sure, but only in self defense or when all other options are exhausted. Just straight up punching someone in the face because they said something you don't like just proves that person is beneath me in both intelligence and character!

Old 03-10-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Like when you same someone without an argument has no brains, you're labeling them as "brainless".

If you can't substantiate your position with facts, logic and reason, then yes, you should seriously question your beliefs. Frankly I'm not impressed with people who base their positions on emotional gut reactions, it's along the same level as name calling IMO.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:19 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,228 times
Regressive or entitled or liberal is not name calling. Expanding your examples to "regressive caveman" or "entitled mama's boy" okay. "Asshat" yeah, it doesn't add much value.

If I were to say, oh, I don't know ... "Gee, you're a little wound-up about this" it's not name calling either.

It's commentary.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:34 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I definitely see it happen a lot in P&OC and I think it IS often a tactic to not have to engage, which does make me suspicious that the person has no argument and would rather resort to "me vs. you." I also think it can often be a sign of low intelligence or education, whether on the internet or IRL. It does depend on context, though. If someone is being completely impossible and there really is no getting through to them, even just to hear the other side of an argument or whatever, it's like talking to a wall, I think then it's just a way to brush someone off - and may even be a true label in that situation.
People do this, when someone just spouts off all the time, and they find this is the easiest way to shut up what they consider a blow-hard. Someone they are tired of listening to, and don't want to get in a verbal battle with, as they no no interest in continuing a discussion, or to get into one with that person.

The low intelligence person, will argue with you. The intelligent person, just wants to shut up someone they consider a blow hard.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
Regressive or entitled or liberal is not name calling. Expanding your examples to "regressive caveman" or "entitled mama's boy" okay. "Asshat" yeah, it doesn't add much value.

If I were to say, oh, I don't know ... "Gee, you're a little wound-up about this" it's not name calling either.

It's commentary.
Commentary that doesn't really add anything IMO.

It seems like a way of being dismissive to me, just labeling someone "entitled" or "regressive" or whatever else. It says nothing about your own position nor refutes the other persons, just merely comments on a certain aspect of it that you find objectionable and ends at that.

Using your own example, saying that I'm "wound-up" doesn't tell me what your feelings are the subject, nor does it refute any argument I've put forth. Now if you said "You're wound-up and wrong because x,y,z" we'd have something there!

I've found that many people simply voice their disagreements without putting forth their own ideas or refuting the other person's arguments, they just comment on that person's tone, or demeanor, or some other aspect without actually addressing what the other person is saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships