Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2018, 11:34 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,089,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
At any rate, they still don't get to dictate how I behave. Allowing them to decide how my life goes isn't what's best for either of us. And my kowtowing to their every wish and whim at any age isn't being a good mom. It's enabling them.

Sure, the mom in the OP needs to "tone it down" in her presence out of respect for her houseguest, who happens to be her daughter. I don't know many posters here who haven't acknowledged that about the mom in the OP.

But the OP herself is behaving like a child. Her protests aren't actually about the inappropriateness but more about her throwing a fit because she's not the center of attention anymore.

I agree.

Yeh... it would be nice for the mother to tone it down.. assuming she full out making out with the BF (we actually don't know). I don't think anyone posted arguing that her behavior is totally acceptable. But in the end, the mother's house.. mother's life... mother's decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 11:42 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny4YourThoughts View Post
Of course I would need My Husband too as you state but people do get re-married. There is nothing wrong with it.
There's a difference between finding companionship and finding a substitute parent for an adult child.

Quote:
And of course my son would say I would need My father but people do get re-married and step parents come into the picture to sit in in that role. Hence they're called Step Parents no matter the children's ages because that is what they are.
"Step parent" is usually just a title given to the new spouse of the widowed parent. But they are not actually filling a parental "role". Some adult children may come to accept someone their widowed parent married eventually as a parental figure just by virtue of being married to their biological parent, but seeking someone out for the purpose of filling a parental role is crazy to me.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:37 PM

774 posts, read 744,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryiko View Post
Yes, exactly. Having a mother turn into this is very embarrassing. Last time I checked, it was considered a bad thing for a mother to neglect their child for a man.
Excect you're NOT a child. You are a grown ass woman. You need to act like it.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:54 PM

140 posts, read 71,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
There's a difference between finding companionship and finding a substitute parent for an adult child.
You mean you cannot have it both ways? I better let my friends know who happily re-married

Quote:
"Step parent" is usually just a title given to the new spouse of the widowed parent.
Yes, but more directly, it is the title of the relationship between the new roles taking place. Step FATHER.

Quote:
But they are not actually filling a parental "role".
I am sure there are some who are not. There are bad parents everywhere

Quote:
Some adult children may come to accept someone their widowed parent married eventually as a parental figure just by virtue of being married to their biological parent, but seeking someone out for the purpose of filling a parental role is crazy to me.
Yes that is a possibility.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:28 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
You mean you cannot have it both ways? I better let my friends know who happily re-married
What?

Quote:
Yes, but more directly, it is the title of the relationship between the new roles taking place. Step FATHER.

I am sure there are some who are not. There are bad parents everywhere

Yes that is a possibility.
Most adults I know who have had a step parent added to their life do not conisder them to fill a parental role. That has nothing to do with anyone being a bad parent. They just don't want or need anyone to be their substitute parent. [CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 03-15-2018, 01:42 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Of course I would need My Husband too as you state but people do get re-married. There is nothing wrong with it.

And of course my son would say I would need My father but people do get re-married and step parents come into the picture to sit in in that role. Hence they're called Step Parents no matter the children's ages because that is what they are.

To be honest, I wouldn't get involved with anyone my son didn't like. He's my son, I can give him that basic level of love and respect.
After all, I am his mother.
As I mentioned earlier, my children are 30 and 34, and I value their opinions on many things. But, unless they have valid reasons to object to the man (he is a felon, or abusive, or a drug addict, or something similar), it would be my decision and my decision alone who I date and who I marry. Just like it is their decision who they date and marry.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:50 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
My son is #1 in my life. Doesn't matter if he's 6, 36, or 60. He's still my child and comes first.
I can understand your 6 year being first or equal to your spouse in your life. But, your 36 or 60 year old adult child comes before your spouse/SO in your life?

Old 03-15-2018, 02:06 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
There is such a thing a good manners
In a nutshell, yes.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:12 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Hey my grandparents would smooch a lot. When I stayed overnight, I could hear them having sex. We all did! It's NORMAL. They were married for decades...good thing they still enjoyed each other. No, we didn't sit there with a bowl of popcorn and watch. You just rolled over and put a pillow over your ear. Same thing with my parents. They had sex, too. OMG! People have sex! Alert the media!
OTOH, true. In some parts of the world several generations live together in the same room. That could be awkward, but it's their culture.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:34 PM

716 posts, read 556,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I can understand your 6 year being first or equal to your spouse in your life. But, your 36 or 60 year old adult child comes before your spouse/SO in your life?
I haven't had a spouse in a long time. I'm happily single.

If any man I was dating was rude to or didn't like my adult son, he (the man) would be gone. I gave birth to my child and he is #1. Relationships come and go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships