Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 05:08 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,928,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
I have a few cousins that have always been screw ups and all became drug addicts. All have been in and out of jail for years. My young cousin just overdosed and died a couple of days ago and everyone on that side of the family is making her out to be a saint now. I have zero sympathy for any of them since they all stood by for years while she was a junkie. I am frankly disgusted by her and them. I have a real problem feeling sorry for drug addicts. I have no desire to offer my condolences because it would be a fake with no sincerity. I so not believe that addicts have disease it is a choice. Everyone knows that people destroy their lives with drugs so why anyone would starting using makes no sense and if you choose that life you deserve whatever you get.
Not only do they choose to do this with their lives, they also choose to be inconsiderate criminals that screw up other people's lives by putting obstacles in the way of getting medicine that may improve their lives. What wastes of lives!

Zero sympathy here too. The only sympathy I have is for family members that did not support their habit but loved the person. I am acquainted with the mother of someone who OD'd. Very sad to see her crying. I have a lot of sympathy for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
once you’re addicted it’s no longer a choice. Your body takes over,
Ever heard of discipline? Apparently not. Take the drug at the prescribed dosage. It isn't abuse. The person has a *choice* to take more than what the doctor allowed them to take (or I can say, "I don't know why I grabbed a gun and shot this person! My body just took over! It must be have some kind of disease!"). This is what leads to abuse of prescription drugs and "doctor shopping" so that doctors are paranoid to write for medicines that really do have a benefit for people. These people are criminals and scum of the earth--they unnecessarily and voluntarily prohibit other people from being able to enjoy a quality of life that is available to them.

Last edited by Basiliximab; 03-22-2018 at 05:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 05:09 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackberryMerlot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackberryMerlot
I think the OP does feel sorrow. After all, he probably knew her and played with her as a child. And sorrow for her wasted life. Sorrow can be felt as angry frustration.

As to the drug addict problem, I believe it is a lifestyle choice. The person who decided to put a needle into their arm was not addicted at that time. Everyone KNOWS those drugs are addictive. Drug addict ODs actually thin the population of stupidos. And yes, my own grandmother drank herself to death. She could have gone to AA. She decided not to."

I'm not attacking, I'm agreeing with him. Junkies go to 'rehab' again and again.

Drug Relapse | Drug Addiction Relapse Statistics & Prevention> https://drugabuse.com/library/drug-relapse

"Recent drug relapse statistics show that more than 85% of individuals relapse and return to drug use within the year following treatment. Researchers estimate that more than 2/3 of individuals in recovery relapse within weeks to months of beginning addiction treatment 6.

They cost us. They steal from people who've worked hard and have a life. They backslide again and again. I'm thinking when I see the news about an OD, I'm sorry to say it but I think good riddance. I support the OP not attacking.
Sorry, I misunderstood.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:27 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
If you love someone, death is a devastating loss regardless of the circumstances. if you don't love the person who died you don't understand the loss of those that do love them. the best thing you can offer is to be respectful and kind. trust me. there will be many circumstances you will receive reciprocation.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 03-22-2018 at 05:54 PM..

Old 03-22-2018, 06:50 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,787,848 times
Drug addiction is a large problem but also a lack of empathy, in which certain people in this thread have been showing, is also a large problem.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:00 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Drug addiction is a large problem but also a lack of empathy, in which certain people in this thread have been showing, is also a large problem.
Only another drug addict can have empathy for a drug addict. You're confusing empathy with sympathy. The dictionary is your friend.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:11 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,787,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Only another drug addict can have empathy for a drug addict. You're confusing empathy with sympathy. The dictionary is your friend.
No see i have a problem with people who lack empathy and there's certainly plenty these days. It's the fact that the world can be cold and heartless, is one of the biggest reasons why drug addiction is such a big problem.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:57 PM

447 posts, read 488,048 times
Loss of life is a tragedy. And it's sad, and your lack of sympathy is staggering. I feel anger from you, and that is fine, but not to have any sympathy towards your family, is not.

I can somehow agree that addiction is a choice, at least from the beginning, but it does not give me a right to judge.
So many people are addicts because they are empty, and addiction "give" them something, "fill them up", sub the pain for different one.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:16 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Nonsense. I don't have to literally walk in the shoes of the drug addict, or her family, or have the same experiences – to feel empathy for them. I am able to put myself outside my self and my own direct experience.

Ever hear the expression, "There, but for the grace of God, go I"? One does not have to be religious or even to believe in God to understand what that means. But they do need to be able and willing to understand that people's successes, follies and frailties are not completely a matter of logic and choice and determination and will. They do have to have a basic understanding that not everything is completely in your own hands.

Okay, so that ain't you. There's another old expression: Count your blessings.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:26 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Some of the strongest protective factors against opioid addiction are close, healthy connections to friends and family, and a sense of belonging and community.
https://youth.gov/youth-topics/subst...and-dependence

While obviously it's necessary to set boundaries with addicted people, this kind of callousness contributes to the problem. No one can do anything for the deceased person now, but you can do something for surviving family members - especially if there is a genetic predisposition in the family, now is the time to make the survivors feel less isolated with their pain, not more alienated. You never know what small act of kindness - or unkindness - could be the feather that tips the scales.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:06 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,758 times
I understand where the OP is coming from honestly, I was in the same exact situation at some point. A cousin of mine died who was a drug addict and NOT a good person. He had several kids whom he abandoned because of his drug abuse, was physically and mentally abuse to fellow drug addict women he was in relationships with, was a huge P.O.S to family, often wanting to physically fight with them if they cater to him in one way or another. He would steal, had no respect for peoples domain, etc. Yet, when he died all of a sudden he was heralded as a saint and showered with superlatives by his closest relatives. Many whom had many legal issues with him. I personally didn't feel bad and looked at it as one less trash bag out of this world. I just DETEST the notion of someone being loved now that they are dead. If you're not a good person when you're alive, you're the same when you're dead to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships