Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 05:52 AM

585 posts, read 492,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
I have a real problem feeling sorry for drug addicts. I have no desire to offer my condolences because it would be a fake with no sincerity. I so not believe that addicts have disease it is a choice. Everyone knows that people destroy their lives with drugs so why anyone would starting using makes no sense and if you choose that life you deserve whatever you get.

I hope, if you have kids, that they never get messed up on drugs. But if they did, would you stop caring about them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 06:29 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
I have a few cousins that have always been screw ups and all became drug addicts. All have been in and out of jail for years. My young cousin just overdosed and died a couple of days ago and everyone on that side of the family is making her out to be a saint now.
No, they're just trying to find comfort by focusing on the good. There's nothing wrong with that.

If you can't manage to find a bit of compassion, then just stay away from all of them. Your obvious disdain for your cousin and that side of the family will only compound their pain.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:35 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,403 times
It is unlikely that you would ever regret being kind.

However, it is possible that being hateful could bring regret later on.

When one of the options is to be kind, it is generally always better to be kind.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:38 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I understand how OP feels....anger that the deceased caused so much misery to others, and wasted his life. That is no reason not to have sympathy for the family. If they could have prevented the drug abuse, they would have. It’s not their fault.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:41 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,970 times
What does respecting the grieving family members have to do with respecting an addict?

It doesn't matter if you feel sympathy for the dead person. Can you muster up some sympathy for the family who is in pain?
Lack of empathy is disturbing.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:09 AM

626 posts, read 903,000 times
Your cousin was a human being and loved by members of your family. Try and be sympathetic to those who are grieving. Be careful of the way you treat and judge people because you never know what could happen in your life. Life is not lived in black and white but the gray areas. My sympathies to your family. All the best.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:34 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,374 times
Quote:
I have a few cousins that have always been screw ups and all became drug addicts. All have been in and out of jail for years. My young cousin just overdosed and died a couple of days ago and everyone on that side of the family is making her out to be a saint now. I have zero sympathy for any of them since they all stood by for years while she was a junkie. I am frankly disgusted by her and them. I have a real problem feeling sorry for drug addicts. I have no desire to offer my condolences because it would be a fake with no sincerity. I so not believe that addicts have disease it is a choice. Everyone knows that people destroy their lives with drugs so why anyone would starting using makes no sense and if you choose that life you deserve whatever you get.
Bitter much? Regardless of her addiction she was a living breathing human being and I can't fathom your callousness.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:48 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
I have a few cousins that have always been screw ups and all became drug addicts. All have been in and out of jail for years. My young cousin just overdosed and died a couple of days ago and everyone on that side of the family is making her out to be a saint now. I have zero sympathy for any of them since they all stood by for years while she was a junkie. I am frankly disgusted by her and them. I have a real problem feeling sorry for drug addicts. I have no desire to offer my condolences because it would be a fake with no sincerity. I so not believe that addicts have disease it is a choice. Everyone knows that people destroy their lives with drugs so why anyone would starting using makes no sense and if you choose that life you deserve whatever you get.
Well that's just sad.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:58 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
If you don't want to offer condolences, then don't. But you don't need to point out the fact that you won't, either. They will get the message quite clearly simply as the result of your silence.
Of course, they will get the message from silence. When my mom passed, a couple of family members who had issues with her during her lifetime, did not offer any condolences via email, card, phone call, anything else. I got the picture. But my life doesn't revolve around their grievances against my mother.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:09 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
OP, your post highlights a large societal problem.

We spend trillions every year trying to make healthy people who are trying to destroy themselves.

We accommodate drug abusers, and try to make them healthy...We do the same for people who are overweight...spending billions on special diets, beds, wheel chairs and you name it to accommodate their obesity. And what about guns? How much do we spend every day on the senseless slaughters in our schools? Health care? People don't have it so we carry them for free when they don't pay their hospital bills.

Little by little it degrades our society. Your attitude seems to be along the lines of "survival of the fittest."
At some point we have to revert to that in order to protect our survival. We now seem to wish to try to 'cure' the unfit. We do everything possible to keep them alive. Maybe it is time to let them go. If you wish to be stupid and do dumb things, you are going to die, and society is not going to try and protect you from yourself. You overdose, you die. You have no health insurance or can't pay, you die? You make poor decisions about diet, or other personal behaviors that can kill you, we let you go.

Harsh? yes. Absolutely. But we are giving too many people a free ride. Sympathy for a doper who dies? Maybe using them as an example who have better outcomes for society.

Send a note of care to those who survive your cousin. Just do the perfunctory thing, but don't change your voice that people who do dumb things must pay a price. We can no longer carry everyone who wants to play, but expects the rest of us to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships