Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 08:22 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,665,200 times

Advertisements

I have a few cousins that have always been screw ups and all became drug addicts. All have been in and out of jail for years. My young cousin just overdosed and died a couple of days ago and everyone on that side of the family is making her out to be a saint now. I have zero sympathy for any of them since they all stood by for years while she was a junkie. I am frankly disgusted by her and them. I have a real problem feeling sorry for drug addicts. I have no desire to offer my condolences because it would be a fake with no sincerity. I so not believe that addicts have disease it is a choice. Everyone knows that people destroy their lives with drugs so why anyone would starting using makes no sense and if you choose that life you deserve whatever you get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 08:40 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
You could at least offer sympathy towards their loved ones who are grieving, even if you didn't care for the deceased.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:41 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
While I can appreciate you feeling the way you do, your family still has just had a personal loss. Would a little empathy really be such a bad thing? The way i'd look at it, too, is that the cousin is no longer in any pain, etc., which would help me to grieve. My maternal grandmother was a serious alcoholic (it eventually killed her), but she was still good to us and it hurt a lot when she passed away

Old 03-20-2018, 08:57 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
I have a few cousins that have always been screw ups and all became drug addicts. All have been in and out of jail for years. My young cousin just overdosed and died a couple of days ago and everyone on that side of the family is making her out to be a saint now. I have zero sympathy for any of them since they all stood by for years while she was a junkie. I am frankly disgusted by her and them. I have a real problem feeling sorry for drug addicts. I have no desire to offer my condolences because it would be a fake with no sincerity. I so not believe that addicts have disease it is a choice. Everyone knows that people destroy their lives with drugs so why anyone would starting using makes no sense and if you choose that life you deserve whatever you get.
I totally agree with you but it might be good to offer a sympathy card.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:03 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
I understand where OP is coming from. Don't necessarily agree.. But I do think it's normal to have some anger towards those who could have stepped in and done something. That something could have been many things. It could have been a very tough choice to bring law enforcement in to attempt to stop it.

Hopefully, the views will soften a bit. Understand how tough the decisions could be for those who did love her. I tend to agree with addiction being a choice.. I understand how difficult it is to stop, but.. The people who seem to be successful, whether it's quitting smoking, drugs, drinking.. whatever.. They make that tough choice and deal with the tough consequences and normally come out better people on the other side.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:24 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times
Sometimes without knowing a person's complete history, it's impossible to see what led to the choices they made. There are any number of traumas people experience that can cause them to become addicts. It doesn't "excuse" the behavior, but it might explain at least some of it. And sometimes if we can put ourselves in someone else's shoes, we can empathize a little more.
Then again, some people are selfish and just do drugs because they can. But more often than not, I think people do it to numb some deep seated pain.

I don't think you have to feel any way but how you're feeling, though.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:27 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Somebody died. They were loved and those who loved them are hurting. It's really that simple. If you can't empathize at all, I think I have less use for you than most of the addicts I've encountered.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:29 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
If you don’t have any sympathy for the circumstances of your cousins death, two best words you can practice, no comment. For the record, I don’t think you are wrong, even though I don’t agree that addiction is a full choice, at least by the time the addiction is fully developed. I say this as someone who lost their father to alcohol abuse.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:34 PM

87 posts, read 58,362 times
I would offer sympathy to the family. Even a addict can be a wonderful person and have good in them. My husband passed from drinking himself to death and was a horrible alcoholic, but, it was still sad to see a person die that should have had a great life.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:38 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Are they really making her out to be a saint, OP? Just wondering. That is, indeed, a phenomena that can occur. They probably are making an effort not to say anything critical?

One question would be why did your cousins start using drugs to begin with? Do you think it was internal emotional pain with all of them - seems they all wanted to alter their consciousness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships