Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2018, 01:02 PM

417 posts, read 1,128,814 times

Advertisements

When I do a search for internet pen pals, the same few sites come up and when I join them I find that the majority of the people on there are using them just as they would a dating website. I merely want to email or message with people from other English-speaking countries about common interests. I have no desire to meet or skype with them and I am certainly not looking for romance, flirting, or cyber-sex! Can anyone suggest websites I could try that would NOT be misconstrued as dating sites. (I am past middle age and have more common interests with men than women - but this still doesn't mean I'm seeking a relationship)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 04:03 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us2indaup View Post
When I do a search for internet pen pals, the same few sites come up and when I join them I find that the majority of the people on there are using them just as they would a dating website. I merely want to email or message with people from other English-speaking countries about common interests. I have no desire to meet or skype with them and I am certainly not looking for romance, flirting, or cyber-sex! Can anyone suggest websites I could try that would NOT be misconstrued as dating sites. (I am past middle age and have more common interests with men than women - but this still doesn't mean I'm seeking a relationship)
I think you need to approach this differently. Instead of searching for a penpal, search for and join groups that share common interests. The motivation for joining that group is the key but it also provides the common basis for conversation. For example, if you enjoy keeping saltwater fish, find a hobby forum that deals with keeping them. The people you "meet" share that interest, not a vaguely social one. You can weed out the dating/meetup aspects. Someone there may well end up becoming a penpal over time. This has worked for me. I have a couple of penpals overseas that I know I'll probably never meet in person, but over the years what started out as a simple interest became a great friendship.

Old 03-25-2018, 04:18 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
I wonder if it's almost a contradiction in terms.

Penpals were originally via letters, of course. There was something intriguing and romantic (in the non-sexual sense) about connecting with a strangers, especially if it was in a distant country you might never see, and when that country's lifestyle might be completely alien. I suppose that magic is now gone. We can easily know more about countries, via the internet, and emails have erased the time-lag that had people longing for letters.

You don't mention the websites you tried, but these days I suspect, as Allison says, that common interests would send people to specialized forums, not to penpals. If you're interested in poodles or ballet or scuba-diving, I imagine there are specialized forums for all of that.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:38 AM

4,187 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Quote:
You might try for-real pen pals...people who write actual letters on paper and send them via the post office. There's very little of that flirting nonsense going on.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:24 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Here are many pen pal websites to try (if you haven't already) -goes on for several pages:

pen pals on the internet
https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Old 03-27-2018, 10:44 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
I have a cyber pen pal. I wasn’t looking for one, but we met on an online forum and then we started sending each other direct messages. We write each other almost every day, and I always look forward to her messages. I have had cyber pen pals in the past, and I didn’t go looking for them either. We just bonded over a shared interest and probably met on a website/forum about that topic.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:52 AM

749 posts, read 580,691 times
Nowadays everyone is suspicious of others, especially on the internet.
Don't take it personally. People might think you are trying to sell something
or a scam or foreigner or do not want to spend the time writing. I'd like to find a cyber
pal for my hobby. I have given up.
. Years ago I found two people in Canada
who wrote me very long nice letters (not romantic) then they stopped.

Have you tried Facebook, Linkedin etc.?

Old 03-28-2018, 03:49 PM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
umm...make a thread here asking to be your pen pal. I'm sure you can find a few here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships