Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 02:50 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,149,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I would go to the shower to chat and socialize, but that's just me. I love any opportunity to get out of the house these days. Maybe they'll have cake too.
I love going to showers so I would probably go, too lol. I like that they are short, organized social events with multiple generations in attendance. I got a lot of nice gifts at my own wedding shower from some unexpected individuals so I really don't mind giving back to others. I would probably feel differently if I were invited to someone's shower every other week but my social circle is small so that doesn't happen. I'd happily go to a shower for someone I didn't know well. Could be good networking, too, you never know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 02:59 PM

23,084 posts, read 18,482,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Guests came to your home, and you didn't go to the door to greet them; but rather yelled at them from another room? And they are the rude ones?
Have to agree with this. When a guest (especially someone I don't see very often or know well) arrives at my house even during a party, I go greet them in person!

Really, why do people agonize over invitations so much? They are not subjecting you to a psychological interrogation, they are letting you know about an event you might be interested in. If you don't want to attend, just say so. Whatever you decide, at least be polite about it....a simple white lie about another commitment comes in very handy and spares feelings. If your spouse wants to go, he should go. You don't need to break the budget on a gift....a congratulations card or picking something inexpensive off a registry and sending it from the two of you should be enough. If someone chooses to be offended, that's their problem.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:24 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,336,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Really, why do people agonize over invitations so much? .
For me, it's pretty simple. I either go, or I don't go.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:27 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,286,411 times
I don't even talk to strangers let alone go to invites if I don't know the person.

I wouldn't go either.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:55 PM

685 posts, read 1,102,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Have to agree with this. When a guest (especially someone I don't see very often or know well) arrives at my house even during a party, I go greet them in person!

Really, why do people agonize over invitations so much? They are not subjecting you to a psychological interrogation, they are letting you know about an event you might be interested in. If you don't want to attend, just say so. Whatever you decide, at least be polite about it....a simple white lie about another commitment comes in very handy and spares feelings. If your spouse wants to go, he should go. You don't need to break the budget on a gift....a congratulations card or picking something inexpensive off a registry and sending it from the two of you should be enough. If someone chooses to be offended, that's their problem.
This is a female only shower. And as far as sending a gift when I'm not attending? Unless this was a family member, I would never expect a person who didn't attend to send a gift. At least I didn't for my baby shower, but I know these days I'm sure it's different.

As far as the "hello" I wrote about in my original post, guess I worded it wrong or some of you misunderstood. My husband answered the door while I was in another room. Again, his house too and this isn't leave it to Beaver where I need to be waiting at the door for my husband's guests, or at least that't not how it is in my house. After I left that room and was literally about a foot away from him and his fiance, is when I said hello and they both 100% heard and ignored it. Should DH should have said something? I sure would have, and did, but DH has issues with confrontation and making excuses for people's (family, friends) behavior with the cop out of "Oh, but that's how they are or they don't know better." But that's a another post lol.

These are the same people who came, brought a bag of chips, and then took that bag, with literally 2 chips, home with them. DH has told me numerous stories about this guys behavior, but me and DH don't have to like or be best friends with each others friends. He's not my cup of tea, but hey..

Old 03-27-2018, 10:23 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,563,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Don’t go. Why would you? Sounds like a gift grab to me.
They may have "invited" scores of people they don't know, just to increase the amount of loot they will get. I would just ignore it completely.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:27 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,919,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
If the wedding couple knows your husband well enough to ask him to be a groomsman at their wedding it is would be very rude NOT to ask his wife to the bridal shower.

Now you can say "No" if you do not want to attend.

BTW, yes, it does sound like they were rude to you when they visited your home.
I tend to agree with this. It's protocol to ask, but should be no big deal to them if you decline.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:20 AM

867 posts, read 1,584,965 times
I think they invited you to get a gift. You are under no obligation to go to the shower. I would just politely decline.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:27 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,102,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
On the shower, they probably thought it's most polite to ask, since your hubby will be in the wedding... but I don't think you have to go.
This

Old 03-28-2018, 02:46 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,662,335 times
Members of the wedding party and their partners should always be invited to the bridal shower, so It's not a shock that you were invited. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to join your husband at this celebration of his friend's marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships