Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 12:21 PM

243 posts, read 224,971 times

Advertisements

Hello forum.

So from time to time, you always hear how women have that one best friend (usually another woman) whom confine EVERYTHING and ANYTHING... They call each other best friends and share everything with one another. They call themselves 24/7..etc.

My question is, do most guys also have that one friend they call their best friend and share everything with them? It seems that guys really don't have a "best friend" as girls will do. There is that one friend who you are particularly close to compared to others, but at the very most...is still just a friend. Is this true? Do guys have a tougher time connecting with each other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 11:26 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,887,429 times
The answer to the last question clearly is yes.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/acti...e-friends.html

There's probably more research out there that hints at answers to the other questions.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:02 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,245,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quique07 View Post
Hello forum.

So from time to time, you always hear how women have that one best friend (usually another woman) whom confine EVERYTHING and ANYTHING... They call each other best friends and share everything with one another. They call themselves 24/7..etc.

My question is, do most guys also have that one friend they call their best friend and share everything with them? It seems that guys really don't have a "best friend" as girls will do. There is that one friend who you are particularly close to compared to others, but at the very most...is still just a friend. Is this true? Do guys have a tougher time connecting with each other?
Don't know about "most males" but I have had a best friend since college (I'm old so that's probably before you were born)...best friend is my college roommate but I would also classify my younger brother as another "friend" that I share everything with.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:08 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Mr. CSD's best friends are now and always have been his four brothers.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:39 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,123,054 times
I do, a couple to be exact. These guys were like the brothers I never had. We would go by each other's homes on the weekends, our parents knew each other. We've been close since 3rd grade.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:36 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,255,714 times
In 1948, before "day care" was generally available, my mother took in a four-year-old boy Mon-Fri while his single-parent mom worked. His mom saw him only on weekends. I was also four in '48.

My parents saw to his education, MD appts., fed, clothed, etc. him, tolerated his bedwetting and he became my best friend. At age nine (after 3rd grade) his mom decided he could get up on his own, take the streetcar to school, etc. So he left.

Nevertheless, we remained close and I was best man at his two weddings. Bill died at age 42. A good-hearted guy.

Going back to 3rd grade, a new student and I befriended each other. Same neighborhood, same classes through college, same athletic teams until age 16 or so, joined the same National Guard unit, and drinking buddies until we were in our late 40s when he quit alcohol.

People used to say we were joined at the hip.

Today we still phone and do the email thing a dozen times a year.

Curiously, friend #1 and friend #2, although cordial to each other, were never close. In fact, there probably were no more than 10 times that the three of us engaged in any social activities together.

I feel blest that I had these two in my life.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:20 PM

243 posts, read 224,971 times
Well let me start by saying is great that guys too have good friend. I was feeling like not many guys had that one friend to lean when things got tough.

I have my best friend, who I can unconditionally count on. Like others have said, we are like soul mates in that we share a lot of stuff in common, and while we are still our very own person, with many differences, we are also very alike.

Lately, we don't hang out as much as before since he recently got married, but even then, his wife loves me, so I still get to keep my best friend lol

Recently one of his friends, told him, that he was kinda jealous of our friendship since he didn't have that one friend that he could confide on. His exact words were "I see the way you two have each others back, and i wish i could have somebody like that"

Blessed! I feel blessed that as a guy, i have a true brother which i can count on in all ways possible. Yes, sometimes i feel as males we are closer than most, and people have even told us if we're secretly in love, to which we respond "Absolutely" lol

Funny thing is our friendship didn't start as kids nor as teenagers. I met my brother at work already as adults and we come from completely different worlds. He didn't have the opportunity do finish his HS and works in construction, myself on the contrary have a Master's in Civil Engineering. We both looked life through completely differently lenses, yet we get so along.

Honestly, I always though everyone had that special friend which was their supporter in life. But now that I'm seeing that not everyone has a true best friend, I feel myself as a very lucky person.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:34 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quique07 View Post
Hello forum.

Yes. Men do have best friends, but they probably are not going to act like female best friends. Women are most chatty, emotional and quite catty. Meanwhile, men are less verbal and they aren't going to giggle and share gossip, well unless they are really effeminate gay men.* But they will spend time together enjoying and talking about a mutual hobby or interests like professional sports.

* I've had gay friends for years, and yes, they were all gossipy and catty, just like women.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:05 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,644,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Yes. Men do have best friends, but they probably are not going to act like female best friends. Women are most chatty, emotional and quite catty. Meanwhile, men are less verbal and they aren't going to giggle and share gossip, well unless they are really effeminate gay men.* But they will spend time together enjoying and talking about a mutual hobby or interests like professional sports.

* I've had gay friends for years, and yes, they were all gossipy and catty, just like women.
This may come as a surprise to you, but not all gay men including myself are how you described. I have many male friends... both gay and straight, and most of us are just average guys and not effeminate, not that there’s anything wrong with that. Just saying.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:18 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,742 times
We do, but we don't call them that.

"So, what are you doing tonight?"

"Hangin' out with my Bestie."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships