Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 07:02 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
It would be, if not for the fact that OP stated she would never allow such.
The OP has never said this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 03:19 PM

91 posts, read 124,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
While I think it’s rude of her to ask you to get her something specific, maybe there is room for some added variety in your offerings. Do you think that perhaps others are tiring of your selections too and are likely to stop attending eventually?

This woman does sound rather entitled and ungrateful though.
Seems like this get together has been ongoing for some time. So apparently others keep coming despite the chutzpah of the host to not hire a chef and bartender.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:30 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
I'd consider myself lucky to be invited. I'd probably ask if there's anything I can bring. I certainly would NOT ask the host for anything. Not keen on sushi and so certainly would not enjoy leftover sushi. Yea, I like tacos but if I want tacos, there are so many other days that I can do tacos. So, like sushi, the guest can get sushi the next day.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:09 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
It would be, if not for the fact that OP stated she would never allow such.
She never said that. In fact she said this, " If a guest wants something special, they bring it themselves."

Old 04-02-2018, 07:50 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I'd consider myself lucky to be invited. I'd probably ask if there's anything I can bring. I certainly would NOT ask the host for anything. Not keen on sushi and so certainly would not enjoy leftover sushi. Yea, I like tacos but if I want tacos, there are so many other days that I can do tacos. So, like sushi, the guest can get sushi the next day.
Very true. But she'd have to pay for it herself.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:50 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingthebricks View Post

Because these are guests in my home I am happy to pay for the meals/snacks/whatever. But this request seems a little rude. This individual has never once offered to bring food for her kid as many of the parents do, or pay for their meal (again, wouldn't accept it, but she has never made the gesture.) Her child is sweet but will literally only eat one thing, which thankfully is popular with others too. Now mom wants me to spring for a different cuisine or menu item for her, the adult? Strikes me as a bit rude. What do you think?

Old 04-04-2018, 04:44 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times
She wouldn't accept payment is the way I read that. Nor should she. When you host people in your home it is expected that they enjoy what you bring and do not offer compensation in exchange.

Give it a rest, jencam.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:30 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
There seems to be several going. I will join in.

I have a regular gathering at my house once a month or so. Adults and occasionally a few kids who come with their parents who are our friends. I generally get some kind of simple meal delivered-- usually sandwiches/chicken/pizza if the kids are coming as a few can be very picky eaters. I never ask for anyone to contribute or what their order might be. I have food (and drink) available. If the guests want it, its there. If not, no big deal.

I asked the regulars if they were coming to the next one and what time. Its is over dinner time so I had planned to order food as I usually do. One is coming with a very picky eater child who happens to love one of the menu offerings I typically have. When responding that she was coming, mom made a comment that she (mom) "loves sushi" and I said "well it will probably be sandwiches as usual." She then pushed a bit for Indian or Thai and intimated that I should provide her with a separate meal.

Because these are guests in my home I am happy to pay for the meals/snacks/whatever. But this request seems a little rude. This individual has never once offered to bring food for her kid as many of the parents do, or pay for their meal (again, wouldn't accept it, but she has never made the gesture.) Her child is sweet but will literally only eat one thing, which thankfully is popular with others too. Now mom wants me to spring for a different cuisine or menu item for her, the adult? Strikes me as a bit rude. What do you think?
I think it is extremely rude and I would tell her, if you want that, bring it...

never fails, there is always one....and btw, it's a very nice thing your doing...but, there are people like this one woman who will take advantage and doesn't mind using you.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I don't think it's rude. It sounds like she was gently trying to hint about an alternative to the limited usual.

It sounds like the food being provided just happens without any group discussion, so maybe have a discussion with the attendees about the meals? Or just proceed as usual without input and don't worry about comments ... unless there is a mutiny.

when your a guest in someone's home for a meal, you don't dictate to them what you think they should be serving. If you don't like what is being served than bring your own...and the fact that this woman, never ever offers to pay her...speaks volumes....

Old 04-04-2018, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Huh? Where is that coming from?

Its a gathering of friends and acquaintances. We have a group of friends. Some have kids.

When we have our pool open people come to swim. This often includes neighbors.

Sometimes we open things from the wine cellar and have a "drink our wine" party. That is without kids.

Sometimes we have a game night. This includes kids more often than not.

We host about once a month. We always try to provide some kind of meal if its over a meal time. If its not, we might just have some snacks and drinks. Sometimes we get together for a movie night. We also have a book club going. There is just something happening about once a month.
you are an asset to your community...not many people do this any more....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships