Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 02:59 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
illegal in what context? where? this is not a job application
Discrimination involves more than only employment. Although clubs are not specifically mentioned.

Race Discrimination Basics - FindLaw

-----------------------------------------

Old 03-29-2018, 02:59 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,494,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
illegal in what context? where? this is not a job application
Exactly.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:03 PM

666 posts, read 642,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leavemealonethanks View Post
Does anyone else find this a little offensive?

I joined a meetup for women but turns out it’s only for black women.

I would never dream of starting a meetup group for whites only.

Just curious..
You won't be alone in your offense, no worries. I'm certain you will find some folks here that will also find it offensive because "but but what if white people did it, I'm so mad now". Personally no I don't.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
When whites are a cultural minority, whites-only meetings will be more appropriate.
That should have nothing to do with it. If it's wrong for whites, then it should be also wrong for anybody else. It's only logical, and fair. Not that I would want to join a club that doesn't want me there. But it's the principal of the thing.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:11 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,605 posts, read 17,935,039 times
I'm certain this isn't illegal. This is no different from going to a public park and picking which people you might want to invite to be in a kid's playgroup you're forming. This is just freedom of association, constitutionally protected.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:13 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,398,910 times
It's kinda like the use of the N word. And I have no problem with it either. Life for an AA is different than it is for a white person, we all know that.

What was that tee shirt from years ago? "If You're Not Black You Wouldn't Understand". I totally get that.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
"but but what if white people did it, I'm so mad now".
1) Correction: I said "Because if whites did it, it would be front page news." I never said what you have in quotes above.

2) "I'm so mad now"? Who said that? No one, that's who.

If you are going to quote us, then please be accurate, and don't put words in our mouths. Not cool at all.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:22 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,603,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
The quote from the OP is this "I joined a meetup for women but turns out it’s only for black women."

That tells you in plain English that the OP didn't know it was for blacks till after they joined. The give away are the words "but turns out".
Thanks, but I don’t need you to clarify for me what was written in the OP. I chose to ask follow up questions because I wanted to. I still find it hard to believe that the group wouldn’t have thought to somehow indicate that it was a black women’s group because it would be annoying (to me) to have to reject people from the group who don’t qualify...or worse yet, have them show up to a group event.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:24 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,605 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Thanks, but I don’t need you to clarify for me what was written in the OP. I chose to ask follow up questions because I wanted to. I still find it hard to believe that the group wouldn’t have thought to somehow indicate that it was a black women’s group because it would be annoying (to me) to have to reject people from the group who don’t qualify...or worse yet, have them show up to a group event.
I agree, that seems very difficult. Often, meetup ads have pics of the people at different events, and you can just look and see who age/race/gender of people are in the pics.

And I wouldn't go if there were 10 pics and no people who looked like me in them.

If you just advertise on a meet up that it's for women, you'd most likely get mostly white women. Or at least a large number of them.

I'm curious - OP - what did the ad say?

Old 03-29-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
It's kinda like the use of the N word. And I have no problem with it either. Life for an AA is different than it is for a white person, we all know that.

What was that tee shirt from years ago? "If You're Not Black You Wouldn't Understand". I totally get that.
The N word is abominable no matter who uses it whether white, or black, or anybody else. So are any other disrespectful insults that are race related towards whites, and others that I've seen in social media numerous times. It's only perpetuating hatefulness. That can go both ways you know. Hatefulness is NOT only directed towards blacks. That is a fallacy.

Try being white, and have a t shirt saying "If you are not white you wouldn't understand", and see what happens. You don't have to be a certain color in order to logically reason, or relate to someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships