Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 09:15 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,855,088 times

Advertisements

I think the OP's name says a lot about the OQ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 08:53 AM

5,428 posts, read 4,417,426 times
I don't understand why this is a question. Guys want sex from attractive females. There's no point in platonic friendship.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:53 PM

20,252 posts, read 14,480,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I don't understand why this is a question. Guys want sex from attractive females. There's no point in platonic friendship.
The men I have considered friends, many of them have benefited from our friendship. Friends generally do give some good to one another's lives. I've had male friends get insight on puzzling problems from me. I have, when my fortunes were good, bought concert tickets and food for friends, taken them along to do fun things that we shared an interest in. I've networked creative and professional opportunities for my friends. I've spread the word in the communities I'm part of, when I thought some guy was "good people" and other women (who might be more available than I am) will view him more favorably, possibly leading to romantic opportunities that he might not otherwise have. Especially for the more introverted men who aren't great at "putting themselves out there." I'm that extrovert who adopts people like that, who goes and makes an effort to befriend people. So then I can take what intelligence I have gained and share it with the other women in the group, especially the ones who might have compatibility with him, but they wouldn't know it since they're both too shy to make an effort in that direction without a nudge. Though I stop somewhere short of really playing matchmaker. I helped a male friend get support and assistance when he went through surgery. I've helped people move.

Friends are there for you to support you when times are tough, and cheer you on when times are good. If you really don't understand the value of having a friend, merely because she's an attractive woman and you wish you could have sex with her, but for some reason cannot... I'm sorry, because clearly you're not really appreciating the value of FRIENDSHIP that much. Sure, my male friends could get some of this from other men. But each friend you make, opens up new opportunities you might not otherwise have, gives you new perspectives and chances to grow as a person.

And even though a few of my male friends have acknowledged to me that they do find me attractive, and sometimes they'll do things like telling my boyfriend he is a lucky man...it is very, very rare for one to push my boundaries and try to go there. And it's also very rare to have one of them distance himself from me out of bad feelings over not getting the sex. They generally seem to be able to cope.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:03 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,039,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
It's really hard for me to get along with girls. Maybe that's just because I'm a straight guy, so I have only one female friend (sometimes zero) at any given moment. But not having any sisters, AND having all my female relatives other than my mom either in the UK or Hong Kong surely couldn't help.

On top of that, I am an electrical engineering major (85% male students) and have borderline Asperger's.

I guess I should just be happy having 99% male friends. But it gets boring after a while, you know? Even if you aren't interested in dating, you still want female friends. Can any other straight guys relate to that? Do any other straight guys also have no female relatives close by them, and want female friends who can be like a sister to you?

Currently, my only female friend also has Asperger's (more severe than me) and is also an engineering major (computer science). Very tomboyish, too; has mostly guy friends from gaming. But she is straight. I like her because she acts a lot like a guy, very simple and non-intimidating, unlike most girls out there, all sophisticated and socially-savvy and devious like that. Without any female relatives in the country, she has become like a female cousin to me.
Its the girls, they aren't interested in you.
Find a nice Chinese girl, I did.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:25 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,276,103 times
cuz they are straight,OP.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:45 AM

6,336 posts, read 4,879,149 times
It can often come from interests. I'm a guy (bisexual, but I'm not feminine-acting at all and people just assume I'm straight) and I don't find interacting with girls any more difficult than with other guys, but it just so happens that the overwhelming majority of my acquaintances are male - because my major and minors in college were in STEM fields, and I currently work in a STEM field.

Let down the pretense that women are a separate species from us, and that should make it a lot easier. Just treat them like you would another guy. It's probably true that gossip is generally more central to women's subcultures than to men's, but this befuddles plenty of women too, who don't like or understand why they're on the receiving end of interpersonal negativity.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:50 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,274,679 times
I honestly had a hard time making friendships with women. The first interaction would start off well and after that they lose interest or forget who I am.

I don't try to make lady friends anymore.. It felt like a chore and I was making more of an effort than they were.

While some women are indeed good people it doesn't mean you'll be able to sustain a friendship with them.

Majority of my friends are men cause I seem to get along with them more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships