Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 09:16 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger34 View Post
They need to stop being so lazy and get regular jobs. Put their ego behind them....tell them no..no more handouts...ridiculous
Are you serious? Nobody hires you at the age of 50! I don't know what country the OP is from but in my county of origin, once you hit 40 you are OLD. Nobody will hire you. And if you think the situation in US is better think again! It becomes harder and harder for an older person to get a job. Companies prefer younger people with smaller salaries, even if they don't have that much experience. They can learn.

On the other hand I think the USD goes farther there. Don't they have state pensions and such to rely on in their old age?

Sending 1000/month is way too much. You have a life and need to pay back the loan, and think about your own future. Perhaps you want to buy a house or get married or whatever. You can't support them. Wait! Are you from India? In this case they will want to move here with you. I think that in India parents expect that sons are obliged to take care of them in the old age, right? Girls will move in with the husbands families but the boys need to take care of the parents. It's a cultural thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 10:04 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
You need to share which country you are talking about, because filial responsibility and piety is a BIG deal in some countries where there is respect and reciprocity. Doesn't sound you have any respect for your parents, more like resentment.

as for people over 50 being able to get a job with no employer history I think you don't understand ageism and the realities of people that age who even with excellent qualifications face in the job market.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:13 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,132 times
They in their 50's, tell them to go get a job.
Nothing wrong with helping a parent out but supporting them is another deal

Old 04-17-2018, 10:22 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,974 times
I understand that 99% here from USA, but please understand, 70 in USA is like 50 in third world country. You are considered old and it's very hard to get a job.

Last edited by mash123; 04-17-2018 at 10:35 AM..

Old 04-17-2018, 10:23 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
They in their 50's, tell them to go get a job.
Nothing wrong with helping a parent out but supporting them is another deal

You don’t know which country and the realities in that country.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:04 PM

735 posts, read 452,584 times
From what you said, your parents may live in a third world country, which the elders don't have SSI or Medicare like they would in the US. If I'm in your position (with a good-paying job), I would send them $300 a month ($1000 is excessive for expenses there since they probably own their house by now, just need money for foods and stuffs). That would take a big load out of their financial burden at a minimum impact to you. For your sister, I would support her (paying tuition and board) for her college when she gets there.

My parents live in the US, and with their SSI income, my siblings and I still give them money monthly ( just a couple hundreds each) just to make their lives comfortable in the old age. We also pay for their house and car. Your parents sacrificed a lot to help you to get to where you are, so it's not too much to take care of them in their old age if it doesn't impact your life tremendously.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:11 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,057 times
When we moved to the US a lot of my husband’s family assumed that we were now rich and could afford to pay for everything, like the 80th birthday party we weren’t invited to but expected to fund (we didn’t). I think it’s just a common misperception.

I don’t entirely understand what your point is about your sister though. You said you’re worried about her but don’t think she needs money and would just spend it on clothes. What is it that you are worried about?

Old 04-17-2018, 01:17 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Gee, one of the most prominent characteristics of all the foreigners I've ever met, working in this country, has been the support of the family back home. This has included Indian subcontinent people, Mexicans, Middle Easterners and former communist countries.
You are an exception, where are you from that you are such a cheapskate?

Old 04-17-2018, 01:39 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Gee, one of the most prominent characteristics of all the foreigners I've ever met, working in this country, has been the support of the family back home. This has included Indian subcontinent people, Mexicans, Middle Easterners and former communist countries.
You are an exception, where are you from that you are such a cheapskate?
Just a wild guess:
Eastern Europe, probably Ukraine.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:43 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut4sweets View Post
From what you said, your parents may live in a third world country, which the elders don't have SSI or Medicare like they would in the US. If I'm in your position (with a good-paying job), I would send them $300 a month ($1000 is excessive for expenses there since they probably own their house by now, just need money for foods and stuffs). That would take a big load out of their financial burden at a minimum impact to you. For your sister, I would support her (paying tuition and board) for her college when she gets there.

My parents live in the US, and with their SSI income, my siblings and I still give them money monthly ( just a couple hundreds each) just to make their lives comfortable in the old age. We also pay for their house and car. Your parents sacrificed a lot to help you to get to where you are, so it's not too much to take care of them in their old age if it doesn't impact your life tremendously.

OP said his parents are in their 50's, which is not "old age" and not old enough to get SSI if they were in the US. My guess is that they think he is now rich since he's in the US. Of that they are just too proud to work a job, as he already said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships