Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 07:38 AM

34,944 posts, read 31,079,407 times

Advertisements

I personally don't agree with just laying in front of the TV addled. A lot of people may not be physically able to do a lot, but most can do better than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 08:03 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,462,343 times
Thanking my lucky stars, I am still very active at 76 and in good health. Have a couple age related problems that I follow my Drs advice and take very few meds. I have sympathy for the ones who are devastated with health issues that prohibits them from "getting around" or from totally being involved in life.

OTOH hubby is a "lazyboy potato". Lays reclined watching tv and his smart phone all day, between naps. He mostly just gets up for meals and bathroom. He has grown old and feeble on purpose since he retired instead of taking up a hobby, watching his food intake, and not being involved in our very large close knit family that he mostly ignores when they come.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:11 AM

1,186 posts, read 961,354 times
For years before he retired, my late step father always talked about how he looked forward to retirement. When asked what he planned to do during retirement, he always answered 'Sit in my chair.' After a lifetime of combined military and union work, to him, that was the greatest possible thing one could do to enjoy retirement.

And that's exactly what he did, with little exception, until the day he died.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:53 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,270,302 times
Sitting around all day? Not my dad and he turns 80 at the end of the month.

Since retiring in 2002:

he has published two books.

He builds things in his wood shop.

Carves intricate items like custom wood spoons, wood games, he has a zoo of animals carved from wood.

He remodeled my sisters home.

My dad is constantly busy as is my mom. She is also in her late 70's. She teaches people how to bake, make pizza, cakes and cookies all for fun. I think she should charge for that but she loves doing it.

My parents work out in there home gym each day. They have an awesome life and continue to accomplish a lot of things. Both are working on their genealogy as well.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:01 AM

19,491 posts, read 12,122,052 times
The thing is the people like this really seem to enjoy sitting around dong nothing. My parents watched more TV than I ever did as a kid and they had always told me to shut it off, it's bad for my eyes. lol. They were not depressed just loving being couch potatoes together. It kills me because they were such cool cats in their younger years and now I have to remember them staring at Jerry Springer. They passed away with much unfinished business dumped on me as they stopped being responsible adults some time in the 1990s.

I suppose as long as someone is taking care of their responsibilities, let them sit around, but if sloth becomes their whole life and they let important things slide it is a problem. It isn't fair to a spouse if one of them checks out and dumps everything on the other.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:58 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,754,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
My father is like this. Always been like this, now that he’s retired, it’s even worse. He just sits around the house, maybe watching a bit of t.v. or playing around with his smartphone. I’d be bored outta of my mind just sitting around and just daydreaming to pass time. I don’t understand how someone not realize there’s more to life than just sitting around everyday
You sound like my Mother (GBHS) she didn't have her eardrum pop till we were on the concourse after coming back from Reno. Years later she retired at 70 due to the inner ear issue. Then 3 years later she told me of an operation that could fix it.

I said "So what would you do if they did?"

"Go back to work!" she replied...She never did and passed away at 84....

Old 04-19-2018, 12:10 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,659,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
So is the op home all day doing nothing also? Or is the op doing a different kind of nothing
I know she goes out drinking on her disability check fairly regularly... that's a little better than nothing I guess.

Last edited by zentropa; 04-19-2018 at 12:19 PM..

Old 04-19-2018, 12:52 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,620,113 times
Why is it that every other animal (mammal) is not expected to "do" anything? They are allowed to just exist. But not humans. Humans MUST PRODUCE!

Old 04-19-2018, 01:01 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,659,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Why is it that every other animal (mammal) is not expected to "do" anything? They are allowed to just exist. But not humans. Humans MUST PRODUCE!
I expect a lot from my pets so I'm not sure what you're talking about. They don't just "sit around." The cats take care of mice and my dog is in charge of keeping deer, raccoons and other dogs off my land, as well as informing me when the UPS man arrives. She also cleans up cat vomit.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:06 PM

19,067 posts, read 25,221,023 times
I don't get it either.
My best friend from college is approximately the same age as I am. My day typically includes ~2 miles of power-walking, in addition to yard work and work around the house. His typical day consists of lying on the sofa for most of the day and the night, while watching videos and reading.

My health is excellent, as is my memory, while his health is... compromised... and his memory and mental acuity are both clearly failing. While I realize that activity levels are not the only factor in the disparity between his health and mine, surely his almost total lack of physical exertion must play a role in his physical and mental decline.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships