Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 11:09 AM

59 posts, read 86,737 times

Advertisements

I'm usually an open book, but there are some things in my life I wanna keep private. Me and my roommate have a pretty good relationship, but sometimes I just don't feel like saying where I'm going or what I did. Not doing anything bad Lol just don't feel like being judged or wanna keep some things to myself.

How do I keep it to myself without being rude about it? I don't wanna lie either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 12:51 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Just walk out the door and say, see ya later?

Of course people are going ask where you are going when you abruptly leave. That's human nature. I am not sure why you feel judged by a simple question.

Other than than just walking out without conversation, I'm not sure how you can achieve your goal without telling him it's none of his business, which will seem very suspicious.

Do you ever wonder how other people handle this "problem"?

Old 04-18-2018, 01:03 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,245,107 times
Many people love talking about themselves, so they assume others want to do the same. You can use this to your advantage to deflect questions you don't want to answer. Give your roommate an opportunity to talk about himself/herself to deflect interest in you.

Roommate: "Where are you going?"
You: "Oh, I have to go out for a little while. Say, what was that perfume you were wearing/music you were listening to/food you were cooking/shirt (or whatever) you were wearing/(insert something else appropriate) yesterday? It really smelled good/sounded interesting/looked good on you/(whatever)."
Roommate: "(Answers question)"
You (you should be nearly out the open door by now): "OK, thanks. I'll have to remember that. See you later!" And you are gone.

Work up a collection of deflecting questions that work for the relationship and have them ready. If you are questioned when you get back, talk about the traffic you experienced while out, talk about the weather you encountered, talk about the people you saw on the street, talk about something interesting you saw or heard while you were out. By the time you're finished, your roommate will probably have forgotten about wondering where you went. Paying attention to the little things you see every day can pay off in having some small, unimportant thing to share in a conversation without sharing too much about yourself. Sometimes the small, unimportant topic can lead to an interesting conversation that has nothing to do with your activities, so the problem kind of takes care of itself at that point.

Once you get some practice with this, you can maintain cordial relationships while keeping as much of your business to yourself as you want.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:19 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
I'm assuming your roommate is...a roommate, as opposed to a love interest/boyfriend/girlfriend? How about just saying "I'm going out for awhile, not sure when I'll be back." And that's it?

And if your roommate is asking where you went, are they being REALLY nosey, or is it just friendly interest in what you were doing? If it's just friendly interest, and assuming you're not doing anything you feel like you'll get judged for, what's the harm of a short but truthful answer?

Roommate: Hey, wassup?
YOU: I went to the mall for a little while
Roommate: See anything interesting?
YOU: Nah, not really.

Now...if roommate is indeed your SO...than keeping secrets from him/her is not cool, and it's a whole other ball of wax

Old 04-18-2018, 04:09 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody111111 View Post
I'm usually an open book, but there are some things in my life I wanna keep private. Me and my roommate have a pretty good relationship, but sometimes I just don't feel like saying where I'm going or what I did. Not doing anything bad Lol just don't feel like being judged or wanna keep some things to myself.

How do I keep it to myself without being rude about it? I don't wanna lie either.
How often is this? If this is a rare thing, it would be easy to pass off as running errands or whatever.

If this thing you're worried about being judged for happens a couple times a week, I think you'll either have to tell the truth and face being judged, or lie.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:23 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:

My grandad always used to say when asked where he’s going “I’m going to see a man about a dog” .

Is this a roommate or a significant other? If it’s just a roommate then a simple “see you later, out for a bit” but if it’s a partner then it’s polite to let them know where you’re off too so they can plan their time too. Not sure why you are feeling judged unless you have something to feel guilty about.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:26 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,333 times
Quote:
I'm usually an open book,
Maybe keep your book closed if you don't want people reading it. Duh!

Old 04-19-2018, 09:10 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
I used to just say "rambling" when asked where I was off to. When my roommate moved in she already knew one of my hobbies in my hometown was just driving aimlessly around the Jersey Pines with the radio on and seeing where I ended up. We're very close even now that she's moved out (had dinner last night, as a matter of fact), but she just accepted when I announced I was going out rambling, I had no destination in mind.

Cultivate an air of mystery

Old 04-20-2018, 08:08 AM

983 posts, read 2,774,883 times
How about this:

"I am heading to the dry cleaner to get my shirt cleaned. You know - that blue one that I wear all the time. I guess because I have been wearing it so much it has gotten a bit dirty so I better get it cleaned. Then I have to cash a check at the bank. I think on the way, I will stop at the pet store to get some wet food and some cat litter. I might drop some stuff off at GoodWill because I think that is on the route I am taking. Oh rats. I still need to clean out the coat closet because I have a lot of coats in there that I want to donate. I wonder if I will have time to do that before I leave?.........." (Continue on for another 5 minutes....)

Do this once and I guarantee you the nosiness will stop.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:19 AM

82 posts, read 70,305 times
usually when I leave I just tell my roommate Im going out and i will be back later, kinda just depends on what youre comfortable with. If you dont want to disclose details then that might be a good option for you however you could just say something as simple as Im running out to the store or Im going to hangout with a friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships