Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 09:27 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
I have a friend who used to work at a department store. One Christmas a woman got caught stealing very expensive items and her excuse was she couldn't afford to pay for Christmas gifts because she'd just bought a horse. I think the level of entitlement in our society is so off the charts, people just take care of their wants first and expect everyone else to foot the bill for the rest.
Did she really expect anyone to feel sorry for her? A lot of people try to milk sympathy around the Christmas holidays. Christmas gift charities are over burdened that time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 07:44 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,884,494 times
Nope I won’t give them $.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:58 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post

Am I wrong for this feeling of resentment?
You're probably feeling "resentful" because you feel obligated (she's a friend) to donate.
You shouldn't though...it's your choice.
I personally would never "donate" monies for a school trip. I always found them very discriminatory towards the poorer children in the school who couldn't afford it.
I feel there should be NO trip, unless ALL the children can go. The school class should do some fund raising of their own so that the WHOLE CLASS can be included in their venture.

It's wrong that a child should need money to be included in class activity...that's not fair, and certainly not equal....not how a public school should be run.

I'd be embarrassed asking for charity like that....different strokes for different folks I guess.
I'd rather give the money to someone who really NEEDS it...I see a lot of folk like that every day.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:01 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Do you really think that the child would stay home if the parents didn't recieve the money from their gofundme account?
Bet they'd send her anyways.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:09 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I have a friend that I absolutely adore. We have known each other for 30 years.

She and her husband both have college degrees. They have four kids and she is a SAHM. He has a job that doesn't pay very well, but it's very fulfilling and helps the community.

Her dad helps them out a lot, flying them out for visits, buying them a car, etc.

I have now received the third GoFundMe for something to do with their kids. It is a fundraiser so one of their kids can go on a school trip.

I feel bad thinking this way, but I have always had a full time job and paid for this kind of thing with my own money for my kids. I kind of feel resentful that she feels like it's okay to stay home and basically beg friends and family for anything she wants.

I know I shouldn't be petty like this and I should just donate as it's for her kids and they didn't ask for this situation.

Am I wrong for this feeling of resentment?
I wouldn't donate either. There are these things people can get called jobs and they pay you. It's great. Your friend should try it.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:17 PM

137 posts, read 100,843 times
Absolutely not. This is emotional blackmail and people should feel ashamed and embarrassed to be grown adults and still rely on their parents and friends to pay for their expenses. GoFundMe isn't intended to give people better lives than they are willing to work for and earn. If she's CHOOSING to stay home and not work then one of the consequences is that their kids don't get to do everything they want. Why have so many children if you can't afford to give them the lifestyle you want them to have? I was a SAHM for 17 years. The difference was that my husband earns enough for me to make that choice. But there were many sacrifices we made in return for that opportunity.

Is the kid dying of leukemia? Then sure, it's ok to ask (not expect) others to help you out. But the kid wants to go on a field trip to Disney World and you can't afford it? Then Mama needs to get a part time job and work to earn that money while the kids are in school. Or if the kids are old enough to work, they can earn it themselves or not go.

This "gimme gimme gimme" attitude that is becoming pervasive in our society is sickening. I've seen GoFundMe for honeymoons, weddings, vacations, study abroad, travel, foreign adoption expenses, house renovation, want to buy a home, etc. Whatever happened to working or going without? Natural and logical consequences of your own life choices? This post really makes me angry.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:15 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,557,871 times
I'm soo burnt out on everyone asking for money on GO FUND ME campaigns.

Isn't that what savings accounts and Life Insurance policies are for, ect.? .

Any natural disaster shouldn't entitle you to a GO FUND ME.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:54 PM

11,082 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
I'm soo burnt out on everyone asking for money on GO FUND ME campaigns.

Isn't that what savings accounts and Life Insurance policies are for, ect.? .

Any natural disaster shouldn't entitle you to a GO FUND ME.
Could be because there are a lot of people who can't afford a savings account or life insurance. There's usually quite a few bills to take care of (rent, food, utilities, gas, etc.) that comes out of their paycheck before they can make it to the bank to open a savings account. My wife has her Christmas Club taken out by payroll deduction because, if she had to go to the bank to put money in it, that money would be used on something for the house.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:42 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Could be because there are a lot of people who can't afford a savings account or life insurance. There's usually quite a few bills to take care of (rent, food, utilities, gas, etc.) that comes out of their paycheck before they can make it to the bank to open a savings account. My wife has her Christmas Club taken out by payroll deduction because, if she had to go to the bank to put money in it, that money would be used on something for the house.

Had to chuckle. I haven't heard of a Christmas Club in 60 years, when my parents had one.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:05 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,549,013 times
I think it's gotten to a point where folks don't expect to even pay for funerals unless the person does of old age. If it's an accident or a crime victim guaranteed there will be a GoFundMe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships