Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 11:34 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times

Advertisements

I'd donate if they had a disaster, but begging friends for money for extras won't get a penny out of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 12:07 PM

133 posts, read 87,547 times
As many others mentioned, I would donate to a GoFundMe account if for UNEXPECTED circumstances - death, illness, disasters, etc. However, this situation is a digitized version of panhandling. Would she stand on a street corner with a sign that had the same message as the GoFundMe? I doubt it.

GoFundMe has created a shameless, easy way to hit others up for money instead of figuring out a way to do it yourself. If you need extra money, sell some stuff on eBay, get a second job, donate plasma, do whatever you need to do for your kids. Don't ask me to take my hard earned money and just give it to you so you don't have to earn it....<rant over> lol.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:14 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
Does anyone remember the days when people actually paid their own bills and didn't expect friends and family to cover the cost of luxuries?
Actually, I can remember a few users even in the 50's.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:30 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,553 times
The only way I'd ever donate to something like this is if their house just burned down or some other horrible, expensive problem just occurred and the kid would otherwise miss out on an important or educational trip.

Otherwise, of course not. And refusing to do so is not petty at all.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:39 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
Does anyone remember the days when people actually paid their own bills and didn't expect friends and family to cover the cost of luxuries?

Ehhh...I don't know about that, applying it across the board.

I remember stories my mom and dad told, how when they were first married, they ate dinner at my mom's parent's house 2 or 3 nights a week, because they could hardly afford groceries.

And just recently, my niece and her husband had a Gofundme campaign to help finance their trip to India, to adopt a baby girl. I happily gave.

I've helped my oldest son out financially a few times, and my husband and I have helped my stepson out financially more than once.

It's REALLY hard, but I've asked for help from my parents for help a time or two, when I was young, single, and living on my own.

Anyway, when it comes to GoFundme's...I can ALWAYS pick and choose, and I can choose to NOT give, without feeling guilt about it. But I don't get angry about anyone setting one up either. (Shrugging shoulders.)

Old 04-20-2018, 12:44 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgekko View Post
As many others mentioned, I would donate to a GoFundMe account if for UNEXPECTED circumstances - death, illness, disasters, etc. However, this situation is a digitized version of panhandling. Would she stand on a street corner with a sign that had the same message as the GoFundMe? I doubt it.

GoFundMe has created a shameless, easy way to hit others up for money instead of figuring out a way to do it yourself. If you need extra money, sell some stuff on eBay, get a second job, donate plasma, do whatever you need to do for your kids. Don't ask me to take my hard earned money and just give it to you so you don't have to earn it....<rant over> lol.
I've stopped doing even that for people. Too many times they ask for money for those reasons, then the next thing you know, they own a new car, or go on a nice vacation. Or you see the plea, then remember all the money they've spent on luxuries in the past.

Nope. You want something, you get another job, take out a loan, or sell something of worth. I work hard for my money, and takes steps to pay for unexpected circumstances as well.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:46 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
No. The intent of “Go fund accounts” should be to help out financially due to tragedy- not for “extra’s”. It’s narcissitic to ask people to fund you or your family for “extras”.
I agree with this.

The frivolous Go Fund Me's have taken funds that might otherwise have been donated to people with more serious needs (organ transplant, cancer treatment, etc).

I would not feel bad just saying "NO".

Old 04-20-2018, 01:06 PM

133 posts, read 87,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I've stopped doing even that for people. Too many times they ask for money for those reasons, then the next thing you know, they own a new car, or go on a nice vacation. Or you see the plea, then remember all the money they've spent on luxuries in the past.

Nope. You want something, you get another job, take out a loan, or sell something of worth. I work hard for my money, and takes steps to pay for unexpected circumstances as well.

Actually - you're probably right. A good example is a couple I went to high school with. The husband had to have brain surgery to remove a growth - very scary and I understand their concern and wouldn't wish ill on anyone. However, they started a GoFundMe to help with medical bills for like $8000...they both have full time jobs with health insurance. I understand that deductibles and max out of pocket amounts exist, but what got me though was that their boys play travel baseball. The baseball trips along with hunting and beach trips continued on along with dinners out, etc. All of this played out on Facebook in pictures and posts as they're asking for money for their GoFundMe....Needless to say I couldn't find it my cold heart to donate.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:16 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
No. The intent of “Go fund accounts” should be to help out financially due to tragedy- not for “extra’s”. It’s narcissitic to ask people to fund you or your family for “extras”.
^^^ this

Old 04-20-2018, 01:21 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Mommy can get a gig at Jamba Juice to pay for her kid's trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships