Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 10:13 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

OP, I missed the part where you often drive her around, pay her entry fees, buy her food and drinks and refuse to be reimbursed. Your story as it stands makes you sound like a taker.

You say it is only $10, but it is not your $10 that you can afford to be so cavalier about.

As for the snacks, you asked her to pick up that food for you .

Start carrying a bit of cash when you go out, and pay back loans immediately, or maybe next time when you dont have money for the cover charge she will go in and leave you out on the sidewalk to get yourself home however you can, because you never drive your own car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 10:18 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscokay View Post
And yet Chloe doesn't offer to pay the OP back when she buys something for her. If I itemized my receipts to get every penny back from a friend, you can bet I'd make sure I paid every penny back (most likely rounded up to the nearest dollar) to them when they picked something up at the store for me.

So who's taking advantage of who...
OP only said that she has offered a couple times to buy Chloe's drink or snack and didn't expect her to repay. We don't know whether or not Chloe offered to pay the OP back.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:23 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,772 times
If I ever borrow money from someone, even if it is only a dollar, repaying that money is my first priority. If I need to make a special trip to an ATM or bank or whatever to get the cash, I make the trip regardless of whether it is convenient for me or not. There is no "forgetting" or getting too busy; it is constantly on my mind until it is repaid. If something beyond my control does cause a delay in returning their money, I contact them immediately to apologize and let them know; I do not wait for them to contact me. It is simple courtesy and a way of expressing my appreciation for their kindness. Most of the people I know well behave in a similar fashion regarding borrowed money.

Your friend is not weird about money. She is being proactive, likely with good reason. In her place, having had to take the initiative to inquire about repayment, I would not be offering another loan of any amount.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:34 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,209 times
Well, $10 may not seem like a lot of money to you, but that is a decent amount. And during my life, I have found that those small "loans" rarely get paid back. For all you know, your friend has a very tight financial situation. And you mention that you guys didn't know that you would have to pay that $10, so for your friend, she may be financially stressed because she didn't know either and now she's out $20 total since she paid for you. And maybe you've been "loaned" small amounts in the past, and never fully reciprocated in the way you say "friends" should do..... is that possible?

You feel uncomfortable.... but think how she feels? Having to ask you multiple times for the money?

You never know what's going on with other people.

And I've seen much, much more extreme versions. In college, we stopped at McDonald's on the way home from a party and I didn't have my wallet and asked a friend if she could buy me a small fries and that I'd pay her back when we got to the dorm. Well, in my bag I had my checkbook, which I showed her when I said... "Shoot.... forgot my wallet...." My friend had me write her a check right then and there for $.69. She couldn't even wait 30 minutes until we got back to the dorm.

My friend is an heiress. Literally. To this day when we have lunch we pay exactly for our portion of the meals, split the tip to the penny, and she asks to take home all the leftovers... including the bread etc..

Why is she like this? Money nearly destroyed her family and caused a falling out between her parents/siblings. I don't know the details...

You never know what is going on with other people.

And you shouldn't be so cavalier about $10. If you saved that $10 now towards an IRA you would be shocked how much it will be by the time you retire..... Be smart.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:37 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post

And you shouldn't be so cavalier about $10. If you saved that $10 now towards an IRA you would be shocked how much it will be by the time you retire..... Be smart.
That's pretty much the dictionary definition of cheap...

Some people are cheap and some people are magnanimous. Wasteful if you will. But whatever. It's their $.

It's just how it is.

Her friend is super cheap.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:43 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Well, stop accepting rides from her if you find the gas money thing weird. Perhaps she doesn't like always being the designated driver?

Old 05-02-2018, 10:49 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
The idea of using an app like Venmo to ensure a debt like $10 gets paid just makes you look like a super cheap ass.
Yes, it does, at least a little.

Quote:
Also, keep in mind. In the day of plastic payment, almost NOBODY has cash on them these days. That's likely a reason why they haven't paid you. They forget, and when they remember, they don't have cash.
True, but this seems to be counter-intuitive to your other statement. Venmo solves the problem of not having cash on hand, which most (esp. younger people, who are so smartphone-centric) rarely do anymore. It's so trivially easy to set up/use. I'd rather encourage them to set up Venmo (painlessly, mind you) instead of waiting for their lazy posterior region to remember to spot me the pizza coke when it's their turn

Old 05-02-2018, 11:01 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Yes, it does, at least a little.

True, but this seems to be counter-intuitive to your other statement. Venmo solves the problem of not having cash on hand, which most (esp. younger people, who are so smartphone-centric) rarely do anymore. It's so trivially easy to set up/use. I'd rather encourage them to set up Venmo (painlessly, mind you) instead of waiting for their lazy posterior region to remember to spot me the pizza coke when it's their turn
I agree with you.

But in society (cheap/broke high school and college students excluded), there's a certain unwritten rule, that you just have a certain 'trust' in people to pay you back small amounts. And that if they don't pay you back after 5 times of lending them that $10 ever, it's not a big deal because it was only a smaller amount of $, and you don't lend them $ again.

That's why when you ask a co-worker for $10 for lunch, it's normal.

When you ask a co-worker for $200. That's weird.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:08 AM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times
She’s over the top obsessive about money. Down to the penny, among friends? Who does that? I’d much rather be alone than be with her.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:12 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
we saw one but it was down. I didn't look around anywhere else. i was honestly super drunk.

I know I'm an adult. I said Id pay her back and I did. I didn't even know what Venmo was until just now.
C'mon now...super drunk? Listen, I want you to succeed in life. For now, no more super drunk, borrowing money etc...save every nickel to get the heck out of living in that hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships