Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 04:48 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,611,073 times

Advertisements

It's funny that some of you think Mother's Day is a "hallmark holiday." Did you hear that one time and just believe it?

It was actually proclaimed as a recognized day to honor mothers by Woodrow Wilson more than 100 years ago. In Catholic and Protestant faiths, "Mothering Sunday" is celebrated on the 4th Sunday of Lent.

I like Mother's Day even though I am one of those moms who has a deceased child. Since I became a mom though we have always celebrated by spending time together...brunch or picnic or movie or otherwise a day out. It's not a day for presents but a day for presence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 04:50 PM

23,751 posts, read 14,872,816 times
Just another greeting card, florist, candy, restaurant promoted holiday. We do not do those and never have. Our kids are almost on social security. They do not make a big deal out of commercial holidays with their families either.

How we treat those we come in contact with on a daily basis is way more important than a commercial holiday.

Like Cinco de Mayo is a restaurant and Mexican beer promoted celebration. Who knows it is when Mexico kicked France's ass?

Old 05-06-2018, 06:50 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,273,696 times
It's a nice for me because we go to the garden center where I pick out the flowers for the window boxes. The kids buy them and plant them for me. I also usually get a breakfast of fresh strawberries and Devon cream thanks to my husband, which is a delicious treat. Just a day to be together, which is the best kind of day.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:17 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,715,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
It's funny that some of you think Mother's Day is a "hallmark holiday." Did you hear that one time and just believe it?

It was actually proclaimed as a recognized day to honor mothers by Woodrow Wilson more than 100 years ago. In Catholic and Protestant faiths, "Mothering Sunday" is celebrated on the 4th Sunday of Lent.

I like Mother's Day even though I am one of those moms who has a deceased child. Since I became a mom though we have always celebrated by spending time together...brunch or picnic or movie or otherwise a day out. It's not a day for presents but a day for presence.

I'm always amazed how some people can turn something that was meant to be nice into something other than that. It is simply one day a year where we say to our wives, mothers, and other women "We love you for who you are and for all that you do for us". To paint it as a money grabbing event is simply a lot of cheapskates who begrudge spending a few bucks to show the women in their life how much they love them.

I'm a man, and I always looked forward to cooking dinner, or taking her out, and giving her a few gifts to express how much she means to me, whether it was my mom, wife, or GF.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:56 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,677,962 times
WOW, this is a depressing thread! I happen to like Mothers Day and enjoy every minute of it! My DH usually help my kids make be breakfast, lunch and dinner. I usually relax all day and do something I typically might not have time to do such as reading. If it's nie out I'll go for a walk. I don't expect presents but my girls always make me cards that I absolutely love!

Old 05-06-2018, 09:58 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,596,577 times
I like Mother's Day, cuz I like to be acknowledged, respected, and pampered, and no, it doesn't happen on many other days.

I am sad when my kids can't (or won't) show up.

Most of them will acknowledge it with a card, flowers, or gift.

One won't, but she's got "issues."

Old 05-07-2018, 12:08 AM

30,585 posts, read 24,959,953 times
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother%27s_Day

This is a link to how Mothers’ Day originated. It is not a Hallmark Holiday, in that it was certainly not invented by them. I often hear people who don’t want to be bothered to show love to others denigrate Mothers Day, Valentine’s Day and even Christmas.

At any rate, I don’t expect much from my adult kids. I told DH NOT to take me to eat at some fancy place. I made the same request at Easter too. We eat out every Sunday anyway, and I am happier these days at a casual place. Since I know DH would spend a little money anyway, I told him what I wanted. He bought it for me.

Kids will call. At least two of the three will.

You know what? Its all good.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:44 AM

11,928 posts, read 8,257,017 times
I'm some uncomfortable on Mother's Day. One of my life's roles has been fussing over others for their birthdays and making holidays special. Then it comes to my day and I'm not very gracious about accepting fussing over. When it's over I usually realize I've enjoyed it but it's not an event that comes naturally to me.

I really do hope they plan to take me out for brunch this year, though. It's never very special for me to be home and have them come here.

The most fun I've ever had on Mother's Day was when the kids were in their teens and after brunch we went morel hunting in the woods. I saw my first and only scarlet tanager. Then the three of them pushed a huge dead tree down in honor of my special day. LOL!

Bet no other mother in the world has ever gotten a pair of presents like that!

Old 05-07-2018, 12:46 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,301,361 times
It's sad that our society resents holiday so much.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:49 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,301,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother%27s_Day

This is a link to how Mothers’ Day originated. It is not a Hallmark Holiday, in that it was certainly not invented by them. I often hear people who don’t want to be bothered to show love to others denigrate Mothers Day, Valentine’s Day and even Christmas.

Right. Mother's Day definitely wasn't invented by Hallmark. Most of the holidays people seem to resent so much are those that involve gifting presents to other people. So people who hate these holidays are usually people who have difficult relationships with others in general, or they aren't generous by nature. They'll go out and buy a 75 dollar steak dinner for themselves and then get upset about the cost of a greeting card and a few flowers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships