Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 07:17 PM

126 posts, read 137,132 times

Advertisements

I have a cousin who I had a falling out with years ago who I am jealous of today. I think about her everyday and how her life is so much better than mine and always has been. Meg we'll call her. It's sort of sad because we were very good friends growing up and into our 20's. I had always watched great things happen to her. Better grades, good at sports, spoiled by her parents, her parents did anything and everything for her, made sure she always got the best and did well. She got into an ivy league college which she left because she hated it and was able to transfer right into another good school. She had two older sisters who always did very well in life and watched out for her also. I had no older siblings. I struggled with school and wasn't great at sports. I never felt any jealousy or envy towards her, i was always happy for her and her sisters.

In our early 20s she got very thin and actually became more attractive...but ended up having to go to a clinic for an eating disorder. I was there for her through a lot, my family and i supported her greatly. Shortly after this I went through a bad a breakup. I would go out with cousin and her sister and got pretty drunk a few times (as did Meg). They stopped speaking to me. I finally asked what happened after about a month and a half. They really ripped into me and made me feel terrible. Treated me like i was an alcoholic ****, told me i was acting like i had no self respect. Meg had done her fair share of drinking and acting borderline promiscuous as well (which is what they were accusing me of). Something snapped inside of me at how they treated me during this. I'm not saying my behavior was stellar but they were very unkind to me. If they truly cared about me they would have said something to me right away and not just waited for me to ask what happened. They acted like i had a contagious disease, like i wasnt' good enough. I think that's where a lot of this came from - i didnt feel as good enough as them.

Things have never been the same and this was all 13 or so years ago. I've continued to watch them get everything they want in life. Meg actually just married a wealthy man and i was just looking at her flawless pictures on facebook. Her mother will be so pleased that she will be forever taken care of by this man financially, she wont have to work, will continue to be given the best of the best. I have to work and my life has just been a struggle. I cannot be friends with someone like Meg. Just can't do it. I have my moments where i wonder why my life was/is so much more difficult than Meg's. Life can just be unfair. Call me be bitter because I am i guess. If there's advice on how to get over this feel free to share. Maybe i should start my own thread.

It took me a while to admit to myself that I'm insanely jealous of Meg. I dont even think her life has been perfect, she had the eating disorder, also got divorced very quickly after getting married about 10 years ago but i'm extremely jealous that she married someone with money. It just seems like she and her sisters always have a silver spoon hanging out of their mouths.

I am married, hate my job, have a 2 year old and 4 year old and my life is crazy. I will never have the amount of money Meg and her husband have so i again feel like i'll always be hearing about their accomplishments as i always have. How do i stop thinking about her??? she isnt even in my life, we have not been friends for years...but she is a family member so i'll always hear about her. she moved away to CA so she is now 3000 miles away. Why can't i move on from this?

I wont even go into all of the things that have gone wrong in my life. some of been my fault but most have been bad luck. Meg and her family seem to get a lot of good luck as far as being smart, and getting good jobs and money goes. I'm just so bitter. I dont want to be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 07:31 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
I’m not sure why her life has anything to do with yours. We are all a product of our life choices. Do you really want to just be the wife of some rich guy? You say your married but don’t mention your husband. You mention your children but seem to idolize her situational wealth. What about your life besides your job are you not ok with?

Old 05-13-2018, 08:07 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,975,706 times
lolo, your story is SO familiar. Did you used to post here under a different name, maybe 6 months ago?

Old 05-13-2018, 08:21 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
The same story posted by lologal321 is here at post #26 //www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...ealousy-3.html

Last edited by matisse12; 05-13-2018 at 08:59 PM..

Old 05-13-2018, 08:28 PM

No i've never posted this story before or under any other screen names. Seems like this is a very suspicious place? It's taken me a while to even admit to myself let alone anyone else that I'm jealous.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:35 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,402,586 times
Get off of Facebook. If your life is that crazy, you don't have time for it. Spend the time getting a better job if you don't like the one you have.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:47 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,402,586 times
Count your blessings. You live in a free country? You have utilities, plenty of food, clean water, a decent home, a job, law and order, a social safety net, access to health care? You live better than the vast majority of people who've ever lived. You have a husband and two kids? Not everyone has a family. You're able to struggle? Not everyone has the physical or mental stamina, or the opportunity, to do so.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:52 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lologal321 View Post
No i've never posted this story before or under any other screen names. Seems like this is a very suspicious place? It's taken me a while to even admit to myself let alone anyone else that I'm jealous.
I'm the first to admit that someone can be an actual new poster even though their story and posting style are identical to another - so no harm done.

What I'm saying is, your story is the exact story that was posted here before, right down to the cousin you were jealous of being the 3rd sister, going to an ivy league school, then getting kicked out, and then getting in to a lesser but still good school all on the parent's dime, and then marrying someone rich and always being the family darling, etc.. And the worst thing that stuck in the poster's craw was marrying someone rich in the last several years.

Your story is exactly the same, without one single detail changed in your entire lengthy post.

But I'm sincere in saying that doesn't mean you are the same poster.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:58 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,577,158 times
Don’t be jealous of others, be who you can be based on what you have control over.

You have to ask yourself, what did you contribute to the society since the day you were borN. See if there’s anything in life you can do to help others, such a simple compliment.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:09 PM

well i'm not the 3rd sister, i'm the cousin. The cousin i'm jealous of is the youngest, she does have 2 older sisters who are also perfect. She did not get kicked out of the ivy league school, she chose to leave because she was unhappy. But yes she did marry rich...yesterday.

Apparently this is a typical scenario, i dunno.

All i know is that i'm sick of thinking about this person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships