Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 12:51 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
So why is this dog still alive?
Because it's possible that a frightened dog was cornered by strangers and defended himself. Until evaluated in person by a qualified professional, there is no way to know if this dog is truly aggressive. Random strangers on the internet should't decide the dog's fate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 02:45 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,425,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Because it's possible that a frightened dog was cornered by strangers and defended himself. Until evaluated in person by a qualified professional, there is no way to know if this dog is truly aggressive. Random strangers on the internet should't decide the dog's fate.
The fact that the kid was bitten three or four times tells me he was doing something that freaked the dog out.

I work with dogs every day and the only time I've been bitten that many times by the same dog was when the dog had a paw trapped in a fence and was panicking, and I was trying to get it out. The dog lashed out at me in fear and got me three times on the arm as I worked to get his paw out.

A TRULY aggressive dog attack with that many bites would not have ended too well for the kid in question. This OP's story is full of holes (ha).

Old 05-22-2018, 02:03 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
WinterSucks, do I get any points for believing this story isn't true as told?

If the bitten person did go seek medical help (and by that, I don't mean the bandaid aisle at Walgreens, I mean actual professional medical help) the ball would be in play already.

Animal control would be involved, and knocking on the owner's door. And then, game on.

It really wouldn't matter all that much if they offered to give you a sweet sorry bout that card, or a gift certificate to Red Lobster.

You can't seek medical attention for a dog bite and have it go uninvestigated, and have civil action taken by the city. I guess, unless you lie about not knowing who the dog is.

In that case, they owe you a lot.
Yup, my friend was bitten by her OWN dog and it had to go to doggy jail at her expense to watch for signs of rabies. We learned from that to lie if any of her dogs accidentally bite either of us. Hospital people: this was a random stray dog I stupidly tried to pet - I have no idea where it could be! It ran off...............

Old 05-22-2018, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Boarding can be FAR harder on a dog than staying home. The best solution(s) for individual circumstances will vary as much as the people and dogs involved vary. NOT a one size fits all situation.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
ringwise,

I've explained that I was there when it happened. Only a fool would provoke an aggressive dog.

If it were MY dog that bit someone I would have rounded it up to $100.00. The neighbor makes good money and it wouldn't have hurt him to do this especially knowing I was recently unemployed.
$100 is not really 'rounding up' from $50. LOL. And now it seems you asked for payment for pain and suffering and it was refused.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:50 AM

1,201 posts, read 804,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Yup, my friend was bitten by her OWN dog and it had to go to doggy jail at her expense to watch for signs of rabies. We learned from that to lie if any of her dogs accidentally bite either of us. Hospital people: this was a random stray dog I stupidly tried to pet - I have no idea where it could be! It ran off...............
Glad to see you're a person of integrity and ethics. A person is never a liar, deceitful, or devious in one aspect of their lives while being honest in others. Dogs don't "accidentally" bite and being a liar to protect them puts others at risk.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:12 AM

271 posts, read 257,689 times
Always took my dogs to a kennel when I went on vacation, just to avoid these kind of situations. Unfortunately, people are quick to sue. Sucks all around for everyone involved. Paying for medical expenses due to a dog bite is the least that can be done. I've raised several dogs over the years and I question any dog that bites unprovoked or bites in general; that dog needs additional training.

Hope everything works itself out.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Was her dog not vaccinated for rabies? In that case, well....that's what you get.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Dogs don't "accidentally" bite
Sure they do. If they are going for their target and you get your hand in the way, you get accidentally bitten. When you are teaching a young dog to target and they aren't good at it yet, they might accidentally bite you. If you get your hand in the way of a dog trying to bite something, you get accidentally bitten. If the dog is severely injured it might strike out at you on reflex and bite you when it doesn't really mean to.

Something tells me you don't know very much about dogs.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:41 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Glad to see you're a person of integrity and ethics. A person is never a liar, deceitful, or devious in one aspect of their lives while being honest in others. Dogs don't "accidentally" bite and being a liar to protect them puts others at risk.
Of course they don't. But they don't always bite out of aggression, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships