Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 06:38 PM

270 posts, read 207,262 times

Advertisements

So I don't like kids, all my friends know this. I told them too if they have kids and invite me to birthday, don't be surprise I'm not going. Kids are cute, adorable, but I just can't stand kids. I'm not going to fake and pretend to be nice and happy being surrounded by their kids. Also, I don't want to waste my money on any of them haha.

Maybe I don't have neices and nephew so I don't understand them. A friend invited me over to her daughter's pre K graduation ceremony, I said NO. Then I told another friend what happened and she said she doesn't know how we are going to be friend if I don't like kids. I told her if she want to cut me off because of this fine with me. This friend is not married and no kids yet so the cutting off won't happen until she does lol.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:42 PM

15,477 posts, read 15,449,978 times
To me, there is something very wrong with you, if you can't bring yourself to be civil.

I'm not interested in most people's kids, either, but you can certainly turn down an invitation to a children's event politely, and you don't have to keep spouting your dislike. You sound like an awful friend.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:42 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,579,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreysrey View Post
So I don't like kids, all my friends know this. I told them too if they have kids and invite me to birthday, don't be surprise I'm not going. Kids are cute, adorable, but I just can't stand kids. I'm not going to fake and pretend to be nice and happy being surrounded by their kids. Also, I don't want to waste my money on any of them haha.

Maybe I don't have neices and nephew so I don't understand them. A friend invited me over to her daughter's pre K graduation ceremony, I said NO. Then I told another friend what happened and she said she doesn't know how we are going to be friend if I don't like kids. I told her if she want to cut me off because of this fine with me. This friend is not married and no kids yet so the cutting off won't happen until she does lol.
If they are actual friends, they will understand this about you and not bother inviting you.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:48 PM

3,016 posts, read 2,323,562 times
Kids' birthday parties are normally for other kids and only immediate family should be invited to a graduation of any kind. When I was a kid, even our parents didn't go to things like school plays and field day.

That said, you might work on your delivery. It's nicer to say that you have plans instead of saying you don't want to waste money on your friend's child.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:48 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,521,160 times
Well the kids wouldn't like you either I guess, so it's good you turned down the invitation. Most people do seem to have kids eventually, so you may find you lose a lot of friends over time.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:56 PM

16,342 posts, read 12,308,254 times
To be honest, I'm not sure I'd want to be friends with you either. Not because you don't like kids, but because you appear to be rude about it.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:01 PM

I wasn't rude, I just simply say no. How is that rude? Do I need to have explanation too?

Old 05-19-2018, 07:09 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,579,270 times
Quote:
I wasn't rude, I just simply say no. How is that rude? Do I need to have explanation too?
I had a friend who didn't want to be invited to any home parties (multilevel marketing stuff, which lots of my friends were selling at the time). She stated it out loud a couple of times, and honestly I appreciated her telling me so I wouldn't waste time inviting her if I ever hosted.

But like anything, it's all in the delivery. If you are a dick about your dislike of kids, you will put people off. If you just say you're not comfortable around children and they don't need to worry about inviting you, it comes off better.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:15 PM

16,342 posts, read 12,308,254 times
Quote:
Quote:

What's wrong with just saying that you aren't available and can't attend? Why do you have to tell your friends that you don't like their kids? That's rude.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:36 PM

I never say I don't like their kids, I simply let them know that I don't like kids in general or want any kid of my own. I went to birthday parties, I hung out with their kids, everyone likes me.

I know it's rude to say those stuffs out but this is how I feel and I didn't say it out loud. Also, there are time when I went out with them and the kid just cry and cry and cry. The mother just yelled at the kid to stop crying. I'm just a friend not even a relative to the kid so I can't discipline the kid or say anything. I can't tell her how to raise her kid. How would you feel when your day is ruin because of the kid? I was being patient enough to let them do what they need to do. That is how I get annoyed with kids.

The way we had the conversation was like a joke. My friends know how I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships