Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 03:31 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Ah, but there's no one-to-one correspondence between men and women, as far as attraction is concerned. So when they meet, they won't necessarily be attracted to each other, making the relationship a non-starter. To complicate the matters, women are more selective when it comes to romantic partners, so "going where women go" isn't always a helpful strategy.

I do agree with going to dance venues---traditional dance, not clubs. It's a great way to get comfortable interacting with women, by simple repetition.
The advantage of meeting through mutual interests is that you get the chance to evaluate people as they interact with others. If some woman is a sociopath, you get a chance to realize it before you ever make the mistake of asking her out. The OP was very correct that by the time you are in your late 20s, most people who are capable of a long term relationship are in one. There is going to be something seriously wrong with the majority of women he meets. The problem is separating the gold from the gravel. You don't do that by "meeting" someone. It takes time. If he doesn't "go where the women go" and avoids contact with the opposite sex, he should evaluate whether he really wants a relationship. In any group of a dozen women, eleven of them will be a waste of time. The only way to sort them out is by getting to know them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 04:11 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post

The OP was very correct that by the time you are in your late 20s, most people who are capable of a long term relationship are in one. There is going to be something seriously wrong with the majority of women he meets.
I consider your statement above to be very old-fashioned, antiquated, completely out-of-date, backward, and inexplicable in thought and reality.
It is outrageous to believe that, and lacking in knowledge.

Last edited by matisse12; 05-22-2018 at 04:25 PM..

Old 05-22-2018, 11:52 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I consider your statement above to be very old-fashioned, antiquated, completely out-of-date, backward, and inexplicable in thought and reality.
It is outrageous to believe that, and lacking in knowledge.
You may not like it, but it's the truth. If I were talking to a woman, I would be giving her very similar advice.
The majority of people who have arrived at their late 20s or early 30s without establishing a lasting relationship are defective. They range from self-centered and untrustworthy through selfish, exploitative, manipulative, abusive and dishonest. Any inexperienced guy looking for a romantic partner needs to keep his wits about him and not be overwhelmed by a pretty face. That's why getting to know someone before you date them is so important.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:19 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,071,154 times
OP didn't say "dating" or meeting people of opposite sex. I think OP just said meeting friends. Please keep to the topic. People can just want some platonic friends, capish?

Old 05-23-2018, 06:21 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,071,154 times
OP posted under "Non-Romantic Relationships".

Anytime someone on C-D posts about meeting friends, it's always turned into a "dating" post. This wasn't a dating post.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:38 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
You may not like it, but it's the truth. If I were talking to a woman, I would be giving her very similar advice.
The majority of people who have arrived at their late 20s or early 30s without establishing a lasting relationship are defective. They range from self-centered and untrustworthy through selfish, exploitative, manipulative, abusive and dishonest. Any inexperienced guy looking for a romantic partner needs to keep his wits about him and not be overwhelmed by a pretty face. That's why getting to know someone before you date them is so important.
What a crock! Many people have devoted their 20's or early 30's to their education and developing their careers (doctors and lawyers, for instance who spent many hours studying and interning, and working long resident hours) and didn't have time for dating, or their partners were not able to deal with the long hours needed to accomplish their goals. Others simply needed more time to mature and sow their oats, and preferred not to be paired and cheat on their SO's.

Still others avoided being tied to a location because their chosen profession required extensive travel (military, airline pilots and flight attendants, sales professionals, performers who tour, etc). Few partners enjoy being left alone a majority of the time, so relationships for these people tend to be transitory, and temptations many. For them, it's wise to stay single. Their are numerous reasons a person may not have settled down by their early 30's without being "defective". If I'd listened to your reasoning I wouldn't have dated the man who became my husband. He was single, in his 40's (gasp!), and enjoyed an unfettered bachelor life, professing to never have had the desire for marriage. I was a late 30's divorcee, and not looking for remarriage, so we clicked. 21 years later we've been happily married for many years.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:33 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
I for one, would not recommend meetup as I joined a couple in the past and they flake out or don't show up. Or send texts saying they are running "an hour late". I also found the meetup group that I joined was riddled with cliques. Impossible to get to know anyone. They already had their clique. If you haven't turned 30 yet, I'd recommend finding a study abroad program through a university and spend a semester in another country. It's a great opportunity, you'll meet lots of people and gain a valuable, life-changing experience. (If you are already over 35 it may be difficult to get a student visa to travel.)

Old 05-23-2018, 08:34 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:

Really? I never married until my late 30s. Before that, I didn't have a lasting romantic partnership, at least not anything that lasted more than two years. I don't consider myself defective.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:55 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
The advantage of meeting through mutual interests is that you get the chance to evaluate people as they interact with others. If some woman is a sociopath, you get a chance to realize it before you ever make the mistake of asking her out. The OP was very correct that by the time you are in your late 20s, most people who are capable of a long term relationship are in one. There is going to be something seriously wrong with the majority of women he meets. The problem is separating the gold from the gravel. You don't do that by "meeting" someone. It takes time. If he doesn't "go where the women go" and avoids contact with the opposite sex, he should evaluate whether he really wants a relationship. In any group of a dozen women, eleven of them will be a waste of time. The only way to sort them out is by getting to know them.
Not only was the topic of the thread NOT about dating, but unless he has recently changed his mind (and I mean, done a complete 180 on everything he's been saying for years now) MillennialUrbanist does NOT in fact want a relationship with a woman, he has been dodging such Imperial Entanglements for quite some time. And he's got a decent social life and enjoys his friendships, again, unless things have completely changed in ways I'm not aware of.

I have found really fulfilling ways to have a social life since 25, in two really big communities that are anchored by a common interest. One was a band, the other a lifestyle thing. As I've said, the internet made it pretty easy, once I realized what my real interests really were. And the best and most fulfilling of it has happened since 25, because as an actual adult, I know myself better than I did when I was younger, and I have progressed from just surviving and having it tough as a young person with young kids, to someone with more disposable income and time to devote to social stuff.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:58 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times
I can sort of understand where OP is coming from. From young age my mom filled my ear with stories of friends stabbing each other in the back and never to get too close to people or you will get screwed. So I never had BFF, kept safe distance but sometime in HS I realize how strong friendship other people had while I barely knew anyone. So I made effort to be outgoing, to strike up conversation with anyone & eventually by end of HS I knew lot of people and had many "friends" but no BFF.

In college I was so focused on my study to make friends. There were days when I didn't utter a single word in entire day because I went from class to study to class to home. Being the first person to attend college from my family I was worried I wouldn't pass. I did lot of group study & knew lot of people but never became friends. In 4 years of college, I made one friend that I am still in touch with. In my 10 years of work, I have 1 friend that I still see after we parted ways. But everyone else are work friends who I will most likely never see or hear from (except for facebook) if we moved on. I have hard time making friends or even keeping friends but around OPs age is when I realize friendship is like marriage, it takes work. I have to put effort in to keep it alive.

So I started visiting friends I already had, even the once whose life is very different from mine. Two peoples life are not always going to be similar & friendship should withstand the differences. Make effort to reconnect & you will be surprised. The work friend I have has quit job to be stay home mom to 2 under 2. I made a conscious effort to see her because friend shouldn't abandon because life happens. Well the visit wasn't very comfortable, her toddler kept wanting to breastfeed & I couldn't have straight conversation with her without her kids distracting her. I did not enjoy the meet up but I know this phase will pass & I should not abandon our friendship now. So I will make an effort to meet up with her at least once a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships