Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2018, 02:41 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
(snip)
If she can get to work without a vehicle, she can get to college without one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
That's a pretty big assumption. My daughter has an apartment with probably a couple dozen McJobs within walking distance, however the only CC in the area is roughly 25 minutes away in the middle of farm country. I guess there is always uber, but depending on distance that could quickly get expensive for someone making minimum wage.
I agree.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:18 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
+1.

It's a potential disaster in the making.

Even with loans, drop out due to transportation issues and loans soon come due. So all that & $50,000+ in debt that doesn't go away until you're dead. Talk about stress now? Just wait.

Anyway, a better plan has to be made.

Community college doesn't cost $50,000! The cost per credit hour for a resident of the county I live in is $59. That's why I chose community college instead of University of Texas when I went back to school recently to aid my career change. That would be about $3500 for an associates degree, plus books.

However, I agree with many of the others that Daisy has a good chance of qualifying for grants that she will not pay back. If all costs aren't covered, I think she could also write a great essay about her background and dreams that might win her a scholarship.

I would not rely on the guy, Daisy. I know you really like him, and I truly hope you are right about him, but the things he's promising you are just not normal for the level of relationship you have. The idea of him being any kind of transportation plan especially doesn't ring true for me. He has a life and a job and other dates. You will have classes 3-4 days per week. If he really wanted to help, I'd think he'd buy you a bike or put you on his uber account.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:39 PM

20,763 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
That's a pretty big assumption. My daughter has an apartment with probably a couple dozen McJobs within walking distance, however the only CC in the area is roughly 25 minutes away in the middle of farm country. I guess there is always uber, but depending on distance that could quickly get expensive for someone making minimum wage.

I am assuming she is not dumb and wants to take college classes at a college she cannot reach.

But let's keep putting her down and kill her ambition to do better, since it is so much fun.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:45 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Community college doesn't cost $50,000! The cost per credit hour for a resident of the county I live in is $59. That's why I chose community college instead of University of Texas when I went back to school recently to aid my career change. That would be about $3500 for an associates degree, plus books.
(snip).
While I agree that most two year degrees do not cost $50,000 (but, I think that poster was referring to a four year degree), you must be a Breatharian if a two year degree only cost you $3,500 plus books. Everyone that I know needs to eat food to survive.

Unless you live at home and your parents pay for everything, in addition, to food, college students need to pay rent, utilities, transportation, clothing, toiletries, insurance, etc. etc. and it adds up to a lot more than $3,500 plus books.

BTW, $59 per credit is much, much lower than most places. The two CC closest to me are $150 to $200 per credit and $200 per credit (plus books and fees) for residents.

Last edited by germaine2626; 05-31-2018 at 03:53 PM..

Old 05-31-2018, 03:50 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
While I agree that most two year degrees do not cost $50,000, you must be a Breatharian if it only cost you $3,500 plus books. Everyone that I know needs to eat food to survive.

Unless you live at home and your parents pay for everything, in addition, to food, college students need to pay rent, utilities, transportation, clothing, toiletries, insurance, etc. etc. it adds up to a lot more than $3,500 plus books.

BTW, $59 per credit is much, much lower than most places. The two places closest to me are $148 per credit and $200 per credit (plus books and fees) for residents.
LOL @"breatharian" aren't those folks a hoot?!

This kid's gonna be fine. Now that she's talking CC which I think is a realistic goal I am elated for her. I AM worried about the dog but that seems to be the only negative in the plan.

She'll get grants, she makes min wage at a fast food job, she is the very population grants are MEANT FOR, the working poor. She'll have everything covered.

This is the BEST THING for her and all should encourage her to get all financial aid available plus if "FWB" kicks in some $$ why not? Just don't RELY on him to do so and you'll be fine, OP.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:59 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
While I agree that most two year degrees do not cost $50,000 (but, I think that poster was referring to a four year degree), you must be a Breatharian if a two year degree only cost you $3,500 plus books. Everyone that I know needs to eat food to survive.

Unless you live at home and your parents pay for everything, in addition, to food, college students need to pay rent, utilities, transportation, clothing, toiletries, insurance, etc. etc. and it adds up to a lot more than $3,500 plus books.

BTW, $59 per credit is much, much lower than most places. The two CC closest to me are $148 per credit and $200 per credit (plus books and fees) for residents.
You can not possibly believe that I don't know there are more costs to being a student than tuition. Clearly, I was limiting my calculation to the cost of tuition in response to the suggestion that her plans would yield her a $50,000 loan. Of course there are other costs to life, that's why Daisy will not be able to stop working, and also why I don't think she should try to take 5 classes per semester while she is working full-time.

The out of county credit hour rate where I live goes from $59 to $111 per credit hour. It's a bargain at either price, I was very lucky. I paid a whole lot more than that for my BA.

Obviously the price per credit hour is going to vary depending on location. I don't know where she lives, so I used my recent tuition costs as an example.

Daisy, check this site out: Scholarships Focusing on Low Income Students and Families

Old 05-31-2018, 04:31 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
I am assuming she is not dumb and wants to take college classes at a college she cannot reach.

But let's keep putting her down and kill her ambition to do better, since it is so much fun.
No, how about she is talking about getting rides, so my assumption is that the college is not within walking distance and therefore she is putting too much reliance on things outside her control. Optimism is great, but reality needs to take it's place alongside. I'm sure that daisy is capable of figuring out what it will take to get to class. My disconnect is with your assumption that she can get back and forth without a vehicle when that may or may not be the case, whether it's her vehicle or someone else's vehicle. Walking, biking, uber, ride share, or public transportation may not be options in some instances.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:26 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
I never had to take a SAT and went from community college all the way up to Masters Degree.
Same here. I knew that was total BS when the person you replied to posted it.
Quote:

There are some truly vicious downer types posting here. I wonder what their agenda is?

Old 06-01-2018, 07:47 AM

20,763 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
No, how about she is talking about getting rides, so my assumption is that the college is not within walking distance and therefore she is putting too much reliance on things outside her control. Optimism is great, but reality needs to take it's place alongside. I'm sure that daisy is capable of figuring out what it will take to get to class. My disconnect is with your assumption that she can get back and forth without a vehicle when that may or may not be the case, whether it's her vehicle or someone else's vehicle. Walking, biking, uber, ride share, or public transportation may not be options in some instances.

Well, then. Let her figure it out. Don't "worry" about her so much.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:34 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,324 times
Quote:
I never had to take a SAT and went from community college all the way up to Masters Degree.
If she can get to work without a vehicle, she can get to college without one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Same here. I knew that was total BS when the person you replied to posted it.

There are some truly vicious downer types posting here. I wonder what their agenda is?

Depending on where you live or go to school, some community colleges require an SAT score from recent high school graduates. I did a quick search of some of the community colleges in NYC- some require an SAT or ACT score.

They also might need to see a high school transcript so OP should start to gather all the documentation that the college requires. If she needs to get documentation from a high school that she attended, she should make this a priority since high schools are closing or may already be closed for the summer. I'm not sure if staff will be there at the high school to handle requests.

Another thought is to actually visit this community college before you apply to it. I know that you only intend to stay there for a short while but you should make sure that it is a good fit for you. College brochures have a way of making all campuses look beautiful and full of eager students when the reality may be quite different. Some colleges will not offer much in the way of emotional support or academic advice, expecting you as an adult to ask for what you need. That's fine for some people but if you feel that you will need that kind of support, choose a college that will work with you in that regard.

I think most people have good intentions towards this poster which may not always translate very well on this forum. People are reacting to different parts of her story based on their own experiences and some may see potential pitfalls because of what they have gone through. A realistic picture will present both the positive and negative outcomes of a situation.

The OP is free to choose what advice to follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships