Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2018, 06:50 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times

Advertisements

Nine days till FAFSA deadline.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:19 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
No need to be mean!

I don't know that "Mr. France" is any kind of sugar daddy at all. But he does seem to be helping Belle expand her horizons and think of new possibilities for herself. THAT is so valuable and the fact that OP is taking that and running is fantastic.

Keep going, Belle! Keep your eyes and mind open and keep learning what you like and what you're good at!
Truly wasn't being mean. I understand she has a cheering section and that's great but I think interjecting some realism isn't bad. Cheering won't do any good if she's stranded for a ride to college, stranded in a foreign country or the 9 million other things that could occur in life when you rely on others especially coming from her upbringing.

She said he was paying her rent and other things...didn't use the term "sugar daddy" but someone who won't commit, sleeps with other people yet pays the bills?

Old 06-21-2018, 07:53 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
No need to be mean!

I don't know that "Mr. France" is any kind of sugar daddy at all. But he does seem to be helping Belle expand her horizons and think of new possibilities for herself. THAT is so valuable and the fact that OP is taking that and running is fantastic.

Keep going, Belle! Keep your eyes and mind open and keep learning what you like and what you're good at!
and use condoms...you forgot to add that little tidbit to your "she's living her best life" speech.

The last thing this kid needs is a child or an STD...so I suggest the pill AND a condom.

I'm sorry, but Belle has zero intentions of going to college. If she really serious about it, she would've already been enrolled and if Mr. Paris is so supportive of her, he would've made sure she made it to her appointment.

He is a sugar daddy....and he wants her poor and naive...easier to take advantage of.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:54 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Truly wasn't being mean. I understand she has a cheering section and that's great but I think interjecting some realism isn't bad. Cheering won't do any good if she's stranded for a ride to college, stranded in a foreign country or the 9 million other things that could occur in life when you rely on others especially coming from her upbringing.

She said he was paying her rent and other things...didn't use the term "sugar daddy" but someone who won't commit, sleeps with other people yet pays the bills?
ding ding ding...we have a winner...he is a Sugar Daddy for sure. She's just too immature and naive to see that.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:01 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

I'm sorry, but Belle has zero intentions of going to college.
Yes that' was pretty obvious all along, but the OP always manages to 'inspire' some people for awhile.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:03 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Yes that' was pretty obvious all along, but the OP always manages to 'inspire' some people for awhile.
Agreed.

I've seen dozens of people like the OP, and all they manage to do in the end is burn through lots of goodwill and help given to them by others. Hope I'm wrong, though, but I stopped buying into this sort of dynamic as soon as I recognized it clearly.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:30 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,589 times
The problem is that Belle doesn't think of him as a sugar daddy. He is paying her rent and other bills, whisking her off on romantic trips just because he's 'nice'. If he sleeps with other people (can she do likewise?) and won't commit to her, he's not 'nice'.

Reality will rear its' head at some point and that is why people should encourage her to do this on her own if she really, really wants to go to school and beyond. She should not be dependent on a man who won't commit to her when making her college plans- there should be no I can't get too class because Mr. France can't drive me or hasn't paid my tuition. She should be figuring out ways to get herself to school and how she will pay for it. It might be nice if Mr. France paid for somethings but she shouldn't have to rely on it.

Becoming a lawyer or paralegal is a long hard road. It's not easy slogging through coursework and exams- you have to be committed. It can seem overwhelming but it is more manageable if you break it down into small steps. Has she scheduled an interview at this particular college or any other community college in the area? Has she taken note of the requirements, deadlines. etc? It's nice that Mr. France has been encouraging but she's not taking it to the next level.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:56 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
The problem is that Belle doesn't think of him as a sugar daddy. He is paying her rent and other bills, whisking her off on romantic trips just because he's 'nice'. If he sleeps with other people (can she do likewise?) and won't commit to her, he's not 'nice'.

Reality will rear its' head at some point and that is why people should encourage her to do this on her own
if she really, really wants to go to school and beyond. She should not be dependent on a man who won't commit to her when making her college plans- there should be no I can't get too class because Mr. France can't drive me or hasn't paid my tuition. She should be figuring out ways to get herself to school and how she will pay for it. It might be nice if Mr. France paid for somethings but she shouldn't have to rely on it.

Becoming a lawyer or paralegal is a long hard road. It's not easy slogging through coursework and exams- you have to be committed. It can seem overwhelming but it is more manageable if you break it down into small steps. Has she scheduled an interview at this particular college or any other community college in the area? Has she taken note of the requirements, deadlines. etc? It's nice that Mr. France has been encouraging but she's not taking it to the next level.
You're mean.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:41 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,539 times
Please, MODS, please - can you just close this thread now as it has gone in circles for 42 pages and we have the same people making the same snide comments again and again and again? Hasn't it gone off topic enough?

If the OP would like specific advice on her education or future plans, she can make a new thread (and I do consider myself in the camp of wishing her the best). Every time I visit this thread it's the same comments over and over, and I just don't think it's helpful to the OP or anyone at this point. I've hesitated to comment and have this rise to the top of the forum, but it was near the top today anyway.

Please. Belle, if you read this, maybe you can ask the mods to close it yourself. It's just not going anywhere that's healthy or helpful.

(Two comments I've held back, again in the interest of not 'bumping' this somewhat toxic thread: Belle, work towards your dream of becoming a paralegal or lawyer, but don't be afraid to keep your options open. You said at one point that you want to help families. There are several different ways you could do this, career-wise. But it's a very noble reason to want to further your education, and I think you, Belle, could do a lot of good in this world, especially with your 'hard knocks' background. Whether in the legal field, or education, or social services. "Why not you", indeed.

Second comment: be wary of accepting too much outside help in going for your goals. To put it another way, don't ever let one person hold too much power over your ability to continue on your journey. I've been there, and it's not fun to find out on the last day tuition is due that the 'purse string holder' has decided to wield a power trip over you (last time I relied on that person, a blood relative, for so much as a glass of water). Have a back up plan. And you'll always feel a sense of accomplishment over having made it on your own. You're going to take some more knocks in life, but always keep learning and growing from those experiences).

Last edited by Mimidae; 06-21-2018 at 12:01 PM..

Old 06-21-2018, 11:42 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
a doormat is always loved in an office
The sweetest words spoken to a boss or fellow worker
It’s all my fault
They are only too happy to agree
The day you stop throwing yourself under the bus is the day they stop smiling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships