Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 09:10 AM

171 posts, read 146,749 times

Advertisements

So I am originally from Ohio, but I'm living in Alabama. I moved here based off a job offer last year, upon moving here the job quickly went under. Something that blindsided me and I felt the company knew before hiring me. Once that happened I had no choice due to bills and responsibilities to find something fast and quickly, which unfortunately consisted of temp jobs. The city that I live in itself is much smaller than where Im from and used to, but I enjoy the southern atmosphere and always enjoyed living in the southern region, but job wise the opportunities are extremely limited. I've applied to everything under the sun that I believe would be a great job for me , but no luck thus far.

Right now Im working a "mediocre" sales job, Im literally paycheck to paycheck, My family has been very adamant about me coming home, stating that "my support system" is there. My mom wants me to move in with her, but we are just now getting on the right track, she has had a drug problem since I was a child and is just recently getting herself cleaned up. She has built a great relationship with her grandson and he loves her dearly, but I do find myself sometimes apprehensive. My mom has had a rocky road and messed up alot in the past, Im happy she is clean, but I do know that she has relapsed before.

Yes it would be great to live rent free for a year to save money, but I sometimes think at what expense? I've lived on my own since I was 19 yrs old. So I am used to my space. Also with my mothers previous drug issues, it makes me worried that she could relapse. My grandma told me that this dosent have to be permanent, That I can move back home for a year or two, to get on my feet and then eventually If I want to move back to the south I can, which is true.

I guess I'm just torn on whether I should move home, or stay where I am and just figure it out from here. Either way I know I wanted to move from my current location, I was interested in Texas or ATL, but I do know both places require a good amount of money to live comfortably. Something I dont fully have and at this rate being that we already halfway thru the year I honestly dont think I will be able to save where I currently work.
Thanks for reading some insight would be nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 10:31 AM

8,206 posts, read 8,432,524 times
If you are on your own, I suggest you brave through this time and not move back unless you believe you will want to settle near your family. You can likely find good temp jobs in the Dallas, TX metro or other growing job market places, too and live in an extended stay place for a while until you find something better. Dallas has a lot of jobs and still, compared to most large metros, some reaosnable rents.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:01 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 23 days ago)

16,150 posts, read 21,299,413 times
No way I would take my child and move home to an unstable or uncertain household. I think you are right to be apprehensive. If you still have childcare expenses would it be possible to move near family and let them help out by babysitting, you'd have a lot more control if things went south with your mom.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:10 PM

3,108 posts, read 2,451,904 times
Since you're willing to live with your mother as a roommate, would you consider getting a roommate where you are now? Maybe getting a second job and cutting expenses to the bone for a year or two to bank some savings? It doesn't sound like you want to live with your mother.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:10 PM

9,399 posts, read 7,039,763 times
How about neither and moving to an area with an actual economy?

Old 06-04-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
How about neither and moving to an area with an actual economy?
You may not of fully read the whole post, I stated before Im interested in a bigger city but again, money wise I need to save to get there. No way I would move to a city just off faith. Money is my focal point, im trying to save so in a few years I CAN move to a better city.... my thing is whether it will work going back home or not. Im a bit torn there are pros and cons.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:07 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,741,547 times
You managed to get a job offer in your current town, so why couldn’t you get a job offer in a bigger city? Am I missing something? Why not apply to jobs in bigger cities of interest and see what happens. You certainly aren’t going to be moving up if there are no job opportunities in your current job and you are living paycheck to paycheck.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:28 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 23 days ago)

16,150 posts, read 21,299,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
You managed to get a job offer in your current town, so why couldn’t you get a job offer in a bigger city? Am I missing something? Why not apply to jobs in bigger cities of interest and see what happens. You certainly aren’t going to be moving up if there are no job opportunities in your current job and you are living paycheck to paycheck.
COL difference and moving cost? Bigger city usually means higher rent, more money for childcare, coming up with deposits for rent/utilities, etc. It's difficult to move UP to a bigger city without already having some savings, unless you are so valuable to your new employer they offer to help with moving expenses. OP is looking for a way to save up to cover those expenses.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
COL difference and moving cost? Bigger city usually means higher rent, more money for childcare, coming up with deposits for rent/utilities, etc. It's difficult to move UP to a bigger city without already having some savings, unless you are so valuable to your new employer they offer to help with moving expenses. OP is looking for a way to save up to cover those expenses.
Yes exactly. I have been researching the bigger cities and the rent is out of this world, I really will be stepping out on faith trying to get a job not living in that city. My degree is in Communications/ Journalism honestly its not a major that people are jumping to hire people for these days. I was thinking maybe moving back home would be the best step at least I wont have t worry about daycare and rent expenses, Ive just never lived with my mom before.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:53 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,795,787 times
What is your plan if you move in with your Mom and it doesn't work out? Would you be able to stay with another relative in the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships