Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2018, 09:34 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,410,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There was a recent incident at a university in Colorado, that was hosting college tours for high school seniors and juniors. A mother accompanying her son called the cops on two brothers in the group, because (she said) they were "too quiet". She felt they were suspicious. They'd become separated from the group, then re-joined, and were quietly walking with the group.

Of course, there's more to the story. They happened to be college-bound Native American students, the only ones in the group. So she called the cops, who came and frisked the boys and interrogated them. Meanwhile, the group chaperone, a university staff member, did nothing. She said she didn't notice anyone had gone missing, then re-joined the group, or that the police had been called, and had removed 2 members of the group. She claimed to be clueless. .
It is disgusting what some people will call the police for. I'd likely consider that a form of harassment and might even consider a lawsuit.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:36 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,352,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I hate to break it to you, but it is the world we live in now. Look at all the stories of black people minding their own business drinking coffee, having bbqs and more having the police called.
100% agree!
Just go on YouTube and pull up stories of black men just going about their business only to get stopped and harassed by police. Look up the stories of unarmed black men getting beaten or shot. And DON'T say that "they resisted" ... that's pure bull****! There have been stories of black police officers - in plainclothes, whether on duty or off - who have been stopped and hassled BEFORE even given the chance to identify themselves!

Old 06-07-2018, 11:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,934,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Yes, there are racist boneheads everywhere, in every country in the world. But it’s a shame to view a whole race of people through the same lens. You miss out on knowing some truly good people that way.
The problem isn't that there are boneheads.

The problem is our systems and structures allow certain types of people to get away with any kind of boneheaded behavior with no consequences. And other people don't even have enough slack in the their rope to even make the basic childhood transgressions without consequence.

We live in a world without racists and a ton of racist behavior and systems.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:27 AM

765 posts, read 475,165 times
why the insistence on a SNARKY comment....... don't we have enough of those kinds of comments to deal with?

why do we think it's funny to be rude right back at someone?

can't we try to do better? be better?

can't you just look the "offender" in the eye, smile at them and just explain you are like them, from planet Earth and your exact origins don't matter any more on this one small rock where we now live in a global village.

Please, let's start being nicer to each other.... i know civility has been trashed and thrown out the window by the previous resident of 721-25 Fifth Avenue, but i assert one person's predilection to hit hard and hit often is not the way normal people live their life. Kindness, caring, a generosity of spirit may not be in vogue anymore, but that is no reason for you to join the current incrowd of mockers, disparagers and sarcastic snark-meisters. I doubt you would want to teach your children to behave this way, so don't behave this way yourself

Old 06-08-2018, 01:41 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,165,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Mexicans are indigenous people and were here before the Spanish, who are European.
You evidently flunked history. Please read 1491 (book), you can get it at a public library or at Amazon, or just Google it.

Mexico was populated by Aztecs, etc., "Indians."

Jeez.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Full disclosure: I've got Aspergers Syndrome (Autism Spectrum).. not sure if people notice it more than the color of my skin or it's the synergy of both that they really notice.
It's not anything I could detect in your forum posts. I used to "run" with a woman with high-performing Aspergers, we were both coding forum software (SMF) and designing websites sometimes together. She was normal as far as I could tell, but she said she had that.

I guess it depends on how your condition manifests.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Excuse me, friendly, but if I'm a customer with an account, and someone is rude to me, you'd better believe I'm not gonna stand there and take it.

Didn't you read what I posted? I had an account with this bank. If I want to get a bill of a large denomination broken, that's my right as a customer! This woman had absolutely no right to speak to me that way; I'm the customer patronizing her bank. If people stop doing business there, guess what? The branch closes.

There is nothing "disturbingly wrong" with fighting back when you're treated in a disrespectful manner . I have absolutely no regrets about calling up on her. Zilch. You just don't get rude with customers!
I read your previous post and you were 100% right in taking the matter to management, and if the teller got fired then it was well deserved.

And I want to thank you for showing the bank that racial bigotry loses customers and gives the bank a bad name.

Jeez, bigots really get me mad! The only thing I am prejudiced against is bigots.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:23 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,476,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
You evidently flunked history. Please read 1491 (book), you can get it at a public library or at Amazon, or just Google it.

Mexico was populated by Aztecs, etc., "Indians."

Jeez.
You can believe what the American school system teaches you about the origins of our planet. The Americas had civilizations and people who traveled the world long before Europeans set sail and started making agreements with indigenous groups. Nice attempt to insult me, though.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:09 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,219,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I get asked this a lot when I'm deep in Trump country so I just tell them I'm from Berkeley even though i haven't lived there for a long time.
Most of my adult life, when people ask me where I am from, I tell them that I was born in Manhattan. Some will then press on and ask me where my parents were from. I will also say that I am just an American, and that daily, I don't think of my race or how old I am. These traits do not define me. I am... just me.

A few weeks ago, a woman asked me if I ever get mistaken for being a Native American. Why not just come out and ask me if I am one? Maybe I will dress up as Pocahontas or Sacajawea for Halloween this year... but would that be cultural appropriation?

BTW as an Asian, am I a person of colour? Or is that just a black thing... the terminology keeps changing.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:16 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,785,968 times
Nowadays you can't do anything without offending someone, whether asking someone where they're from or referring to them as their incorrect pronoun so that's why I just ignore people all together
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships