Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 11:41 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,880,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
You realize this is her husband's family. You can't really snub them.
If they don't get along, all the better reason to keep interactions as short and sweet as possible without being outright rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 12:45 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,608,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
You need to sell that beach house next door to theirs. Simple as that. You have no buffer zone.

I say the same. If his whole family is that toxic to you, then you're as close to their location now, as you'd want to be. An important question is, how close does your husband want to be to them?

Old 06-22-2018, 05:58 AM

10,505 posts, read 7,071,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
If they don't get along, all the better reason to keep interactions as short and sweet as possible without being outright rude.
The simpler answer is to move.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:10 AM

16,157 posts, read 6,903,459 times
I don't get it.
Stop being the type the cries at the drop of a hat.
There is nothing perfect in this world.
There will be people that like you and people that don't.

Don't let the stupid few stop you from enjoying the
company of the rest of the family who are beautiful inside.
Distancing yourself from everybody sais, well
you don't like any of them.
This will put a strain on you and your husband.
Always stay in the game. Don't worry if you are liked or not.
You will be respected over time.

Final:
If someone don't like you it's their problem.
If everybody don't like you it's yours.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:33 AM

9,891 posts, read 7,778,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophronia Sphinx View Post
It's not how they behave that makes me want to be away from them, it's more of what they are intrinsically-- in other words, they aren't good people who sometimes are cruel and insulting, they are somewhat unkind people who sometimes can act nicely, with "act" being the crucial word in my description.
"what they are intrinsically"

Trying to figure out what you could possibly mean that would apply to the entire family. You don't like their race? Religion? Politics?

I find that very sad and intolerant. If they seem somewhat unkind to you at times, it's probably in response to your obvious intolerance of them. Obviously your husband loves them very much, as he loves you.

At times when I've read your posts, they remind me of my daughter who has a touch of Asperger's and is overly offended by innocent looks and has trouble sometimes interpreting the social cues of others. What seems to you as "acting" may be reality and you may be judging them unfairly.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:21 AM

16,157 posts, read 6,903,459 times
KaraG

I agree.
We all need to be thick skinned in this world or we'll end up all aloooooooooooone! By ourselves...................

Old 06-22-2018, 09:33 AM

35 posts, read 25,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
"what they are intrinsically"

Trying to figure out what you could possibly mean that would apply to the entire family. You don't like their race? Religion? Politics?

I find that very sad and intolerant. If they seem somewhat unkind to you at times, it's probably in response to your obvious intolerance of them. Obviously your husband loves them very much, as he loves you.

At times when I've read your posts, they remind me of my daughter who has a touch of Asperger's and is overly offended by innocent looks and has trouble sometimes interpreting the social cues of others. What seems to you as "acting" may be reality and you may be judging them unfairly.
It's not bigotry. Our ethnicity is the same and would not be an a problem for me if it weren't. It is possible that they are responding to my dislike, and if so, it's unlikely that they will think about why people including me, don't like them--in general they're not an introspective group, and also, I haven't seen many of this family admit when they are clearly wrong.They don't apologize, and are very good at "blaming the victim"---I've seen them do this more than once in dealings with their neighbors and other people. When I've met people in the town my inlaws live in, and we chat, and I say what family I married into, I get looks and brief comments that imply dislike of them , and a bit of sympathy---it's subtle, but it's there. By "what they are intrinsically" I meant character traits such as "arrogant" "passive aggressive" "hypocritical"---which are unpleasant to be around. I'm painting them all with a broad brush, yes, but they are largely a family that shares similar characteristics. I don't dislike people due to simple exterior qualities, or because of things that are out of their control like ethnicity (including African American ethnicity or "race"), or sexual orientation or other things. I do judge people though on character traits like kindness, generosity, and tolerance of differing opinions and lifestyles, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't. As far as I know, I am not offended by innocent glances or looks, but glaring looks and rolling eyes are hard to miss. But I'm not a bigot, or imagining things, if that's what you're implying---of course reading a post makes it easy to miss the things that would be apparent in person, so I can understand the confusion. Still, it's my obligation to my husband to get along with them, and I am hoping to do this by avoidance, and simply was wondering if anyone else has pulled this off with inlaws, and if so, how it went...and maybe tips on how to do it without being too obvious. I'm already planning the planting of a long, thick hedge between the houses, for instance---the classic "don't want to see the neighbors" kind.

Last edited by Sophronia Sphinx; 06-22-2018 at 09:53 AM..

Old 06-22-2018, 11:58 AM

3,259 posts, read 2,350,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
You need to sell that beach house next door to theirs. Simple as that. You have no buffer zone.
This ^^^

Old 06-22-2018, 12:21 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,595,643 times
As for the long thick hedge between the houses, yes, actions often speak louder than words.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:23 PM

10,505 posts, read 7,071,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
I don't get it.
Stop being the type the cries at the drop of a hat.
There is nothing perfect in this world.
There will be people that like you and people that don't.

Don't let the stupid few stop you from enjoying the
company of the rest of the family who are beautiful inside.
Distancing yourself from everybody sais, well
you don't like any of them.
This will put a strain on you and your husband.
Always stay in the game. Don't worry if you are liked or not.
You will be respected over time.

Final:
If someone don't like you it's their problem.
If everybody don't like you it's yours.
As much as I agree with this, I don't think living next door to one's in-laws is a good idea even in the best of marriages.

To make matters worse, the OP seems a bit fragile and sensitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships