Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 08:03 PM

2,923 posts, read 2,589,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Because small babies are usually uncomfortable on planes, people assume they will cry.

You stooped to the same level of that guy making your comment to him.
She didn't stoop to his level. Her comment was very civil. It would have been more awkward had she not acknowledged his concern; although he was rude, he was actually stating his concern but doing so in a flippant way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 08:10 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,650,725 times
I absolutely hate babies, especially on planes, any time I see that I know it’s going to be a miserable ride but I hope to be many rows away. I don’t know where you get this naive idea that everyone just plugs their ears and all is well. I’ve never once worn earplugs and they don’t even fit in my ears, hence why I never wore them on a plane. Leave your brat at home! If you can’t afford a babysitter you can’t afford to fly and it’s just a matter of you not wanting to leave it then don’t. That’s the price you pay for having kids.

I would never make a comment to a parent unless they could do something about it, but I will make comments to my GF loudly because if I have to hear your brat screaming you have to hear about how much I hate kids and how I wish I could strangle that stupid thing. Parents do NOT have it “hardest” on the plane, you made a choice to ruin everyone else’s day. They didn’t choose to have their day and flight ruined especially when tickets are expensive.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:31 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,907,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I absolutely hate babies, especially on planes, any time I see that I know it’s going to be a miserable ride but I hope to be many rows away. I don’t know where you get this naive idea that everyone just plugs their ears and all is well. I’ve never once worn earplugs and they don’t even fit in my ears, hence why I never wore them on a plane. Leave your brat at home! If you can’t afford a babysitter you can’t afford to fly and it’s just a matter of you not wanting to leave it then don’t. That’s the price you pay for having kids.

I would never make a comment to a parent unless they could do something about it, but I will make comments to my GF loudly because if I have to hear your brat screaming you have to hear about how much I hate kids and how I wish I could strangle that stupid thing. Parents do NOT have it “hardest” on the plane, you made a choice to ruin everyone else’s day. They didn’t choose to have their day and flight ruined especially when tickets are expensive.
Leave your "brat" at home? How about you go live under a rock? What the heck? How are people so rude and nasty. I would rather listen to a baby scream then a nasty person

Old 07-03-2018, 08:58 PM

272 posts, read 271,848 times
Call me crazy, but I have a 3 year old and she flew for the first time last month from Salt Lake City to Melbourne. We were supposed to take this trip a while ago, but we waited until our kid was old enough to know how to behave properly in public, understand instructions clearly, use the restroom alone, and have all of our contact info memorized in case she got lost.

I've been on planes, buses, restaurants, and in movie theaters with crying babies and always said to myself that I would never be a parent of one of those types of kids.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:12 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,778,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post

You made the choice to get on the plane knowing their could be a child crying. You could also have someone snoring next to you, a Chatty Cathy, someone that invades your space. You don’t know what you’re going to get. With all the flying I have done I have had one flight with a child that cried too much. I have had countless adults next to me, behind me or in front of me that have behaved 10 times worse.

If you don’t like the babies, don’t fly or charter a private jet

Old 07-03-2018, 10:51 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,468,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post

So I am wondering, for those who do think babies shouldn't be on planes, or cringe when they see them, would you ever have the nerve to try to call out or otherwise embarrass parents with a baby/toddler...even when there was no issue at present? Would you say something if the baby/toddler was misbehaving?

I strongly dislike people who bring their damn kids on the plane.

I wouldn't do what that guy did; I would just ignore the people if they're not affecting me, and if the kid was making noise I would seriously consider sending a nice long passive-aggressive glare their way (not that it would do anything, but just to make them feel like they didn't belong there).

Honestly, I wish they just had separate (more expensive) flights for people with kids. That'd discourage em. Unfortunately profit doesn't work that way.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:15 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,287,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
You made the choice to get on the plane knowing their could be a child crying. You could also have someone snoring next to you, a Chatty Cathy, someone that invades your space. You don’t know what you’re going to get. With all the flying I have done I have had one flight with a child that cried too much. I have had countless adults next to me, behind me or in front of me that have behaved 10 times worse.

If you don’t like the babies, don’t fly or charter a private jet
He has an opinion. Nobody needs your permission to to feel differently about babies on a plane. Your suggestion to charter a jet was just obtuse. That chip on your shoulder must get pretty heavy.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:45 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,907,554 times
People do know that you don’t have to be over 18 to be a human being,right? What would adulthood look like if we didn’t allow our “brats” out in the real world before 18? That would be a great future for the human race, huh?

Old 07-04-2018, 07:02 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,295,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I was very surprised while boarding, a man a couple rows ahead of us looked right at me and my SIL, rolled his eyes and announced LOUDLY "WELL WE ARE ALL IN FOR A TREAT"...
I see no reason to sugar-coat this topic.

Good for him for having the guts to say what everyone else is thinking. He was putting the guardians of the child on notice, that he expected them to make sure the kid was being handled properly and not to disturb the other paying passengers. Because too often people allow their kids to cry and scream constantly and bother others. So this guy saying this did so from a place of experience. You might think your little darling isn't a problem, but a barking dog is a barking dog no matter how cute you think it it, it will keep people up at night. A kid being a nuisance is no longer cute. So I applaud him putting you all on notice, to ensure the rest of the paying customers don't have to suffer because of this one kid. Also sick of people allowing their kids to go crazy and run around in restaurants, doctor's waiting rooms, grocery stores, etc. Too many people think everyone else has to be subjected to their problem to deal with it. The past generation you didn't have this problem, something is wrong now, and people think because they have a kid it is now everyone else's concern to cope with it. If more people would take responsibility this guy's announcement wouldn't have been necessary. The fact that you seem outraged by his comment just shows you are a huge part of the problem.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:50 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,496,212 times
I'd pay more for an ***hole-free flight, but that's unlikely to happen, so in the meantime I do my best to ignore them rather than incite them by glares and loudly discussing my disgust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships