Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 01:33 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,938,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I may have been a bit harsh, and I wholly agree that there are some parents who don't teach their kids how to behave--we've all seen them. Misbehaving older children ARE the parents' fault. But it does bother me that the idea that a crying baby automatically means that parents aren't doing their job, and it is, frankly, ignorant. Babies cry. You can't always stop them. What do they expect parents to do, hold a pillow over their faces? Tune it out, and don't tell me you can't.

While parents should teach children to behave, they also should teach them tolerance and patience and understanding for other members of the human race who are simply being human.
We were on a flight a few months back and this mom did everything she could to try to get her baby to stop crying. She was working up a sweat! It was bumpy flight so she couldn't get up much (only thing that seemed to make the baby happy). At one point I heard a voice say "shut that baby up already!". At first I was shocked and totally ready to come to her defense. Then I realized it was her tween son. LOL! And the dad and mom were clearly upset with each other by the end of the flight (not fighting outloud but you could see their body language). The crying didn't bother me...the air line refusing to cool the plane off or pass out water did. I felt really bad for the mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 02:05 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,340,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Actually, I disagree with your assessment. The person said he didn’t fly because of the irritation of crying, misbehaving children. There is nothing wrong with not liking parents who don’t take care of their children on planes, especially if that person decides to no longer fly.

Our country has gotten to the point of incivility that is over the top. Parents should do everything possible to keep their children entertained, comfortable, quiet, and happy on planes. They OWE that to the other passengers. What is wrong with those who don’t even try to keep their children from bothering other passengers? I don’t see anything wrong about being irritated with these people.

Parents seem to really spoil their kids now. I see many with a lack of manners.
Either these parents can calm their children down, or stay at home. I see no need to put up with disruptive children especially if I'm not their parent.

You made the choice to have them so raise them to not be destructive tyrants in public.

One of my nieces broke something in my apartment once, my response? I threw her and her mother (my sister) out.

One of the reasons me and my sister aren't close now.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:27 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,332,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Either these parents can calm their children down, or stay at home. I see no need to put up with disruptive children especially if I'm not their parent.

You made the choice to have them so raise them to not be destructive tyrants in public.

One of my nieces broke something in my apartment once, my response? I threw her and her mother (my sister) out.

Fortunately the rest of the traveling public doesn't give a damn what you think and are going to chose to do what's right for them, even knowing that occasionally the best behaved kids will have their moments and yet life goes on.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:32 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,065,225 times
I’m cracking up that a crying baby is a “destructive tyrant”. Then again, I can’t imagine never traveling far because a baby might cry.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:35 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,938,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I’m cracking up that a crying baby is a “destructive tyrant”. Then again, I can’t imagine never traveling far because a baby might cry.
Life is too short, right? But I do think its wise to stay home if you cant cope with other humans in public.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:37 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,065,225 times
True. I’m guessing there are also some spectrum-related sensory issues at play.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:31 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,824,641 times
Quote:

wow your behavior, unless there is more to the story.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:14 PM

24,901 posts, read 9,655,577 times
I've been on planes with crying babies and babies that didn't make a sound. I've been on planes with special needs kids who made some type of unusual noise (just being honest here, obviously it was no one's fault). I've been on planes where people were reading.. Aloud. I've been on international flights were outrageous arguments between passengers broke out mid air.

So my takeway is that one invests in some very expensive noise cancelling headphones because anyone or anything will annoy you while you spend the next few hours cramped like a sardine next to people who don't understand what courtesy is.

Quote:
As a person who has zero patience for misbehaving children. I don't go on airplanes cause I know I'd be annoyed by a baby who screams and the parent does nothing.
I hope you don't go to restaurants or movies either, because they're there too. The ones that do nothing are as bad as the ones who do too much. They yell their head off reprimanding or spanking their children in public: "JOHNNY! STOP IT!"

There should be a law, if you can't take your kids out in public without making a scene or upsetting someone's evening, keep them at home.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:31 PM

9,467 posts, read 9,411,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
We were on a flight a few months back and this mom did everything she could to try to get her baby to stop crying. She was working up a sweat! It was bumpy flight so she couldn't get up much (only thing that seemed to make the baby happy). At one point I heard a voice say "shut that baby up already!". At first I was shocked and totally ready to come to her defense. Then I realized it was her tween son. LOL! And the dad and mom were clearly upset with each other by the end of the flight (not fighting outloud but you could see their body language). The crying didn't bother me...the air line refusing to cool the plane off or pass out water did. I felt really bad for the mom.
Cooling the plane off is one thing that seems could be done. However, I wouldn’t expect the flight attendants to risk personal injury on a dangerously bumpy flight just to give me some water.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:05 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,340,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
wow your behavior, unless there is more to the story.
Definitely not more to it. I love my niece to pieces but my sister just let's her do what she wants.

She can let her destroy things at her house but it won't happen at mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships