Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 04:12 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,888,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysDreamin2019 View Post
I just don't get how people are not supposed to take things personal when it is indeed their own personality that is causing people to not want them around (me!).
First of all, when someone says "don't take it personal", it means that it's going to be very, very personal.

Second, you are the last remaining single, childless (or childfree) man in your group of friends. Which means everyone else in the group sees you as a bumbling, immature Peter Pan. Which can't be good for your social status. And since our society looks down on single men over 30, you're in this situation where it feels like your friends don't respect you and aren't honest about it.

Your best bet at this point is to form new friendships. You didn't mention your city, but how active is Meetup in your area. In Chicago and even its suburbs, Meetup is very active, and it seems to attract lots of quirky types: childfree people, hipster-minded middle-age adults, socially awkward people, gamers, etc. It's been my lifesaver, as far as socialization is concerned, after my friends got married, became borderline cliquish with other couples, and lost some of their respect for me. (Or at least it feels that way.)

So if Meetup is an option for you, join it, and start going to their events. You'll be able to get into what Red Pillers call "abundance mentality", only with friendships; your current friends won't be your only social outlet. In fact, you'll be able to partake in activities that your friends can't do, like an all-day pub crawl, with silly group selfies and boatloads of laughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 04:22 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,122,966 times
They lied to you because they didn't want you to know how p****-whipped they are.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:08 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,400,471 times
Tell them it really hurt you and while doing that tell them the same whole story you posted. Ask them not to lie to you tha'ts what hurt the most.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:14 PM

48,578 posts, read 34,956,927 times
So there was yelling involved in this issue?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-06-2018, 05:15 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,397,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
No one is obligated to hang with anyone else, and complaining about not being included makes people want to hang out with you less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
"Uncle Tim," read all of the above closely. These posters are offering you some facts of life to help you to grow up.
Are they obliged to lie or be deceptive? Is accepting your friends lies a part of being "grown up"?

I get that the families wanted a "family" outing, but the families are the immature ones here.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:17 PM

29,762 posts, read 34,459,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Are they obliged to lie or be deceptive? Is accepting your friends lies a part of being "grown up"?

I get that the families wanted a "family" outing, but the families are the immature ones here.
Or perhaps Uncle Tim is "that guy" in the friend group, and he's just realizing it now.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:19 PM

48,578 posts, read 34,956,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

No, BUT white lies are told in these situations, AND where you think the person is going to have an issue like the OP does.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-06-2018, 06:16 PM
KeysDreamin2019

n/a posts
Quote:
So there was yelling involved in this issue?
IF YOU COUNT THIS as yelling- sure. There were a few words or two that were capitalized during the text based discussion.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:19 PM
KeysDreamin2019

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Or perhaps Uncle Tim is "that guy" in the friend group, and he's just realizing it now.
Pretty sure that it wouldn't have taken 3 years of hanging out almost every weekend during the summer with this group (and 15 years before that with just my friend) to figure out if I was that guy.. I will have an open mind to realize that I may have just recently become that guy, but I do not think I've changed much in the last 5 years. Maybe that's the problem. Who knows when you are told "do not take it personal" instead of actually telling me what the real problem is.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:23 PM
KeysDreamin2019

n/a posts
Quote:
No, BUT white lies are told in these situations, AND where you think the person is going to have an issue like the OP does.
I have other friends, for example the ones I was hanging out with last night, and the night before (Wed night was with a friend I met in first grade and her family) at various fireworks shows who also are families and who have always just casually mentioned when they are doing family things when I send a text saying "we should hang out", I've never thrown a tantrum if people are straight up with me. I can't imagine this would have gone any different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships