Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,763 times

Advertisements

Let's say a nineteen year old child, through no effort or achievement of their own, is to receive 522 million dollars. Are they not morally and ethically obligated to share it with their parents? The child will never have to work a day in their life, they'll have much more money than they ever would have earned in their lifetime, meanwhile the parents have had all kinds of expenses, many of which were related to the upbringing of the child. Does the child not have the ethical and moral obligation to split the 522 million dollar fortune (minus taxes of course) with the parents who fed, clothed, and sheltered them for nineteen years? Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 01:21 PM

20,775 posts, read 20,060,324 times
If the child doesn't give anything to its parents, then the parents were probably awful parents and don't deserve anything anyway.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:26 PM

26,706 posts, read 41,855,063 times
If you did a decent job as a parent, they will WANT to share with you. If you didn’t, then that’s on the parents.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:27 PM

6,322 posts, read 4,232,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkB4USpeak View Post
Let's say a nineteen year old child, through no effort or achievement of their own, is to receive 522 million dollars. Are they not morally and ethically obligated to share it with their parents? The child will never have to work a day in their life, they'll have much more money than they ever would have earned in their lifetime, meanwhile the parents have had all kinds of expenses, many of which were related to the upbringing of the child. Does the child not have the ethical and moral obligation to split the 522 million dollar fortune (minus taxes of course) with the parents who fed, clothed, and sheltered them for nineteen years? Discuss.
. Be nice if they wanted to share, but no not morally or ethically bound to share. A child did not ask to be born so the parents are ethically and morally bound to provide the best they can until the child is of age. They don’t do it as a special favour or privilege, nor should the parents do that and then shove it down a child’s throat in a “ you owe me attitude”.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:33 PM

6,480 posts, read 7,835,220 times
I'd think that the very first people the child would think of to share it with would be his/her parents. If the child does not, well, the parents do not really have a child...just a person they raised. I'd guess they would be very sad rather than angry.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:52 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,357,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
If you did a decent job as a parent, they will WANT to share with you. If you didn’t, then that’s on the parents.
I don't know about that! I've known some great parents and families who had lousy kids/family members. And I've known some lousy parents and families who had good kids/family members.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:54 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,417,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
^ I agree with you.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:00 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,329,506 times
Quote:
A moral obligation? No. The parents willingly chose to bring a child into existence; they willingly assumed the burdens of parenthood, so they knew what they were signing up for and took the plunge anyway. I don't see how a child "owes" a parent anything when that child could not consent to being born. Our parents raised us and clothed us and fed us and provided for us in a variety of ways, but that is what parents are supposed to do. Doing that goes with the territory; it's a requirement for parenthood. The child didn't will him or herself into existence. Two people got together and decided in advance on the child's behalf that life is worth experiencing and living; therefore, the two people (the parents) are obligated to provide for and nurture that child without expecting any sort of compensation for their "troubles" or hard work.

But that being said, I would share my wealth with my parents, but not because I felt obligated to. It would be something that I would choose to do because I care about them.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:05 PM

20,775 posts, read 20,060,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I don't know about that! I've known some great parents and families who had lousy kids/family members.

Great parents may have lousy kids who are school drop outs or drug addicts, yes. But that doesn't mean they wouldn't give them any money from their $$$$$$. If they are lousy TOWARDS their parents, it is the parents fault usually.

You may THINK you know "great" parents with lousy kids but maybe they are just faking being great to the public. My parents never hit me in the face so no one can see marks. ANd everyone thought they are amazing, except their own kids who could barely sit on some days because their bottom hurt so much from getting beaten.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:52 PM

23,496 posts, read 19,198,031 times
Quote:
I may not feel the child is OBLIGATED to "split" it with anyone, but I would HOPE that a child raised with some sense of compassion or good will towards others would choose to spread their good fortune around. It might not be toward parents unless they happened to love or honor them. It could be put into charities or to further some social justice and make those parents very proud. Right or wrong, deserved or not, the money belongs to the child so they are going to end up following their own thoughts on the matter no matter what anyone else thinks about it. They'll also come up with a justification for their decision too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships