Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 08:52 PM

202 posts, read 129,199 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong, I am so in love with them both that I'm ecstatic that he and she are getting married!

He is so cute and tame that if you don't pay attention you won't notice he is a hulk whose physique is not obvious unless you check him out. He appears meek (and I have met very few such darling men) but if you check him out babe x-ray he's so masculine, and yet he's so sensitive I would chase him if he wasn't my BFF's boyfriend.

My BFF is older than him (and me) but she's very sexy too! I can't imagine a better suited couple than the two of them. (A few years, no big deal.)

I got invited to their wedding, and RSVP'd but now I realize I've gotten a few texts from both, but I haven't seen them since 2017 even though I've invited them to double date, and I've asked to visit them without company. I would dearly love to double date, but they have never accepted. (I'm single and in varying relationships.)

I have heard almost nothing from my friends this year, including ignored phone calls and texts to both.

I know this is not the usual wedding gift scam, my friends are better than that. Yet I'm uncomfortable that I have no good outfits to wear (my little black dress ate it a dozen years ago) and I feel that I would like to get out of this without losing friends. I'm sure they will be friends again after the ceremony...

... but how do I get out of attending now that I sent my RSVP? Without losing them as dear friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 08:59 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by per se View Post
Don't get me wrong, I am so in love with them both that I'm ecstatic that he and she are getting married!

He is so cute and tame that if you don't pay attention you won't notice he is a hulk whose physique is not obvious unless you check him out. He appears meek (and I have met very few such darling men) but if you check him out babe x-ray he's so masculine, and yet he's so sensitive I would chase him if he wasn't my BFF's boyfriend.

My BFF is older than him (and me) but she's very sexy too! I can't imagine a better suited couple than the two of them. (A few years, no big deal.)

I got invited to their wedding, and RSVP'd but now I realize I've gotten a few texts from both, but I haven't seen them since 2017 even though I've invited them to double date, and I've asked to visit them without company. I would dearly love to double date, but they have never accepted. (I'm single and in varying relationships.)

I have heard almost nothing from my friends this year, including ignored phone calls and texts to both.

I know this is not the usual wedding gift scam, my friends are better than that. Yet I'm uncomfortable that I have no good outfits to wear (my little black dress ate it a dozen years ago) and I feel that I would like to get out of this without losing friends. I'm sure they will be friends again after the ceremony...

... but how do I get out of attending now that I sent my RSVP? Without losing them as dear friends?
Well ... uh ... you haven't even seen them since last year, and they are basically not responding to your messages.

When is the wedding? If you sent another RSVP message saying that something has come up and you can't attend, they will get over it.

But ... how hard is it to buy a new dress for the wedding of your (supposed) BFFs??? Is there something else going on?

Old 09-20-2018, 04:34 AM

16,428 posts, read 12,552,215 times
You’ve had no contact with your “BFF” all year?? You might want to raise the bar for best friend a bit.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:30 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,929,742 times
How are they "Dear Friends" when they blow off your calls, and you haven't seen them since 2017? They same more like casual friends to me.....

Old 09-20-2018, 07:33 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,406,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by per se View Post

You call them dear friends but say they didn't return phone calls or texts. What I'm thinking is, they invited many people, some whom they haven't seen in a while (which is totally normal, btw) and they wouldn't care that much if you did not go. Since you said you haven't seen them since 2017.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:44 AM

14,551 posts, read 12,197,918 times
People get busy... I have many people I care about that we hardly get together with any more... it happens. Doesn't mean they aren't still important to us.

I am an introvert who hates to shop and doesn't love big gatherings... but even I could figure out how to get a new dress to wear if one of them was getting married.

This is how it goes sometimes... when we were young, we had time to just hang out and socialize... when we get older, we end up seeing each other every few years at occasional parties... weddings, graduations, showers, and eventually, funerals. That's life.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:49 AM

6,569 posts, read 8,418,819 times
How far out is the wedding date? It may not be too late to change your RSVP to a "No".

Old 09-20-2018, 08:01 AM

28,970 posts, read 30,328,577 times
The way you described him, I'm wondering if there was an attraction for him when you were with both of them and it showed, and they both may have felt uncomfortable with that?

Old 09-20-2018, 08:02 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
The way you described him, I'm wondering if there was an attraction for him when you were with both of them and it showed, and they both may have felt uncomfortable with that?
That's what I was wondering as well.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:50 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,471,808 times
Just tell them that you can’t emotionally handle being there & you do not want your fragile emotional state to detract from their special day. Cover any costs that might have occurred from you breaking the RSVP. Next time, RSVP no indicating your intention not to attend if you go too long without regular contact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships