Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 07:49 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,773,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
By the way, I may have some aspects of Asperger's.
Is this your diagnosis? You seem unclear. Are you sure you have received coaching? Did it cover techniques for making and keeping friends? Did you learn anything from it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 09:03 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,411,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Is this your diagnosis? You seem unclear. Are you sure you have received coaching? Did it cover techniques for making and keeping friends? Did you learn anything from it?
Many neuro-typical people also aren't good at making friends. Just something I've noticed.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:08 AM

8,280 posts, read 8,684,867 times
Thinking you are part of a group (social circle) when you are not probably doesn't help. People in said group not accepting your invitations should have shown you that. Start your own group. You only need 1 to start.

You seem to post quite a bit about politics. I hope you never bring that up in a group unless it's a political group.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:21 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,612,140 times
Quote:
I know they do things with each other, but never with me. It can't just me a certain social circle being mean because all my social circles do this.
I don't get asked to many events. This sometimes hurts my feelings, but I know why I don't get asked. It's because I'm not a reliable attendee at events. I'm not fond of parties & such, esp if there are a lot of couples (I'm single). I'm somewhat of a hermit, and shy in crowds, although I like people a lot and people find me funny & likable. I have a good time after I get there, usually, but it's hard to make myself go. So I understand why I don't get a second invite. As confidant as other people feel, I'm sure it hurts their feelings when someone turns them down.

I do better with a small lunch crowd. Or going to the movies with a couple of friends. I'm much more comfortable with that.

Do you ever turn down an invite? It only takes once. Or have you gone before, but turned up way late, or got into an argument? Anything that they would not want to experience again?

Another reason might be if it's all couples, and you are not a couple. Or vice versa.

But I think you should just ask someone quietly...someone you know very well, who you think has the guts to hurt your feelings. Not many people can do that. Yu can only ask one; otherwise, word will get around that you're begging to get an invite.

Finally, if there's not a good reason not to include you in their gatherings, you have to face the fact that they are not your friends. They are more like casual acquaintances.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:27 PM

6,349 posts, read 4,939,486 times
Quote:
I know they do things with each other, but never with me. It can't just me a certain social circle being mean because all my social circles do this.
They don't like you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships