Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:48 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,208,745 times

Advertisements

Lately, it seems, I have run into more than my fair share of people who are determined to tell me their life story. It seems that I cannot say "good morning" to a living, breathing soul without being subjected to a seemingly endless account of their life, in painful detail.

My husband says I am too polite, because I listen, smile and make the appropriate "uh huh" noises. He says that he just "walks away" when this happens to him. Maybe he is right and I am too polite.

The problem is that lately it seems like listening to other people blab on and on, is really eating into my productive time.

how do you guys handle this kind of issue?

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 10:51 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,067,055 times
I fall into the same trap!!! Maybe it's our location Branson! lol!
Recently, I have gotten so impatient with people, I just cut them off and go about my business! I don't have time to listen to everyone's life story, so I will kind of say something along the lines of "Wow, that's great! I have to go now!" or "Wow, that really sucks! I have to go now!" Those two lines seem to work well for me!

Old 11-18-2009, 01:39 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,106,815 times
Here's what you do .....

You get their email address and send them this:

YouTube - run dmc - you talk too much

Old 11-18-2009, 01:41 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,617,119 times
its bek you are nice. kind people make others open up.
not like me.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:02 AM

16,076 posts, read 28,627,614 times
Sorry, but I giggled, I was out for a walk, ran into a neighbor I couldn't getaway from,
tried to break the conversation several times, I was finally honest, I'd love to talk, I can't, nice to see you........

From now on don't make eye contact, thats the key.
I wonder if the universe is trying to tell you something, career change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Lately, it seems, I have run into more than my fair share of people who are determined to tell me their life story. It seems that I cannot say "good morning" to a living, breathing soul without being subjected to a seemingly endless account of their life, in painful detail.

My husband says I am too polite, because I listen, smile and make the appropriate "uh huh" noises. He says that he just "walks away" when this happens to him. Maybe he is right and I am too polite.

The problem is that lately it seems like listening to other people blab on and on, is really eating into my productive time.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-18-2009, 02:06 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,608,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
What really sucks is when you are polite like that, while planning your grocery list in your head, and they don't even return the favor of listening in turn Blood sucking vultures!!

Old 11-18-2009, 03:23 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,360,158 times
Just keep looking forward with a serious , stern expression and the conversations will cease.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:54 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,593,490 times
My SIL and FIL are like this. They go on and on about something, like their life is more important than anyone elses. And when you finally get a few words in edgewise, they are totally off in space.

They now know that conversing with me in not going to happen much. I'll say hi, but that's about it. I'd never ask how they are. They just love hearing their own voice.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:26 AM

612 posts, read 1,846,880 times
If you seem like an open, nice or positive person then people are going to think you are a good person to talk to. Whether it would be a simple thing like how their day is going or Jimmy's first day of school.

I know exactly when you're coming from 20yrs. I am a nice guy... too nice. I am also a very good-listener and people know that so they tend to share everything with me. This is also probably why ladies think of me as only a good-guy friend.

It's even worse at work. My fellow co-workers always tend to start a convo about every little thing and I stand there and listen no matter how boring it is. If I really need to cut it short, I try to do it as politely as I can but sometimes they just go on and on.

If you want to avoid being confronted by people then walk around like you have a chip on your shoulder at all times. That'll do the trick !

Old 11-18-2009, 06:42 AM

4,537 posts, read 8,361,602 times
What do you do if it is your spouse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships