Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 08:17 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times

Advertisements

I'm funny, kind-hearted, nice, and treat people with respect and dignity. Some people like me for my titles/job/rank, but I avoid those people like the plague.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 08:51 PM

1,299 posts, read 823,383 times
Some people like me for the same reasons that other people can't stand me.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:11 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
People appreciate my analytical nature and that I usually try to get all the sides before forming an opinion. People even appreciate my no-nonsense honesty at times.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:18 AM

5,194 posts, read 1,872,370 times
They don't.

Old 04-21-2019, 02:12 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermaggie View Post
I’m funny as hell. Probably the funniest and most uninhibited person in the room at any given time.
I'm not funny. Maybe once in a while. I have a very healthy sense of humor, but can count one hand how many times I've caused people to laugh.

We all have our burdens.

Old 04-21-2019, 03:20 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
People don’t like me.. they respect me but don’t like me. I’m not a likeable person and totes fine with that. I can say that my family does love, respect, and trust me.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:29 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
why??

I cant answer for them....but I am respectful and courteous.....also learned to be humble and not arrogant.

follow the golden rule

Old 04-21-2019, 04:39 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,558 times
good question, not sure.

Overall, I am a nice and compassionate person. I enjoy really getting to know people and their stories. I also go with the flow and love doing spontaneous and fun things.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:19 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
I'm going to turn this question around to the more generic, because honestly, I'm not sure why people like me. I do know they do.

I like other people who:

1. Are socially graceful. You know they're not going to embarrass you or others by acting inappropriately or saying unacceptable things.

2. Are smart and excellent conversationalists. (This is a big one for me, actually. When I think of people who might have very different viewpoints from mine, or have characteristics that I don't care for, but are easy to engage in a lively interesting and respectful conversation, that goes a very long way to making them enjoyable companions). This trait used to be called "good company".

3. Are attentive, caring listeners of others. If a conversation is disrupted, they'll return to it and say "well anyway, you were telling us about your mom's illness?"

4. Are funny.

5. Are reliable and not flighty.

6. Aren't high maintenance and self-centered. Appear to be very very interested in others.

7. Don't gossip. Someone who will gossip with you will gossip about you.

8. Are fun and adventuresome - very willing to do exciting activities.

9. Have a lot of interests, however quirky those interests are. InterestED people are interestING.

10. Are humble.

11. People who don't trap or trick you.

This is a big one, and I've had too much experience with it. "Hey, my 4 year old has been talking about how much he really likes your son in their preschool class, and he'd like to get together. Does that sound good? Great. I'd like to bring him by this afternoon" and then arrives at the door with the 3 year old brother. "Hey, are you busy Saturday night? No? Great. Can you babysit my kids?" "Are you planning to drive from home to the party downtown? Oh good, can you pick me up on the way?" (and then they want to leave the party really early, or want to stay really late). I can't stand those people, and all those things have actually happened to me. Here's how you ask those things: "We're looking for a babysitter Saturday night (or a ride both ways to the party), does that work out for you?" I've learned to be protective - no, I think I might be busy Saturday - what did you have in mind? Actually, I don't think I'm leaving from home - what did you have in mind?

I know there are those who say you have allowed yourself to be taken advantage of, but what I'm saying is I can't stand those people who make you act defensively so you won't be taken advantage of, in a thread about what's likable in people.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:38 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Because of my personality.

It's both a blessing and a curse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships