Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 08:52 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
True. However, if there is a new trend in society where people are offended for questioning their veracity, then a buyer like me might miss out on a good deal.
No, you won't.

You'll just move on to another seller because buying from someone who cheats is not a deal at all.

It's not a new trend. It's just easier to fake stuff and get away with it, but it's also easier for both parties to move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 09:02 PM

17,759 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
No, you won't.

You'll just move on to another seller because buying from someone who cheats is not a deal at all.

It's not a new trend. It's just easier to fake stuff and get away with it, but it's also easier for both parties to move on.
There's no evidence that the seller was cheating. There is, however, evidence of a difficult buyer who very well may have been kicking tires. And, even if he wasn't, his bid likely wouldn't have increased the price by much.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:08 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,229,810 times
Quote:
No, you won't.

Normally, if a seller doesn't have very many reviews or mixed positive and negative reviews, I would move on to another listing. I did in this case too, but what left me perplexed is this seller had hundreds of positive reviews as a seller going back over ten years, so I'm thinking I may have offended them because they have never been questioned before because their positive reviews speak for themselves.

I will never know if the all 12 comic books in the listing were sealed or not, but the ending selling price was a very good deal for the lucky buyer and is what I would have bid as well.

I think in general people in the United States are more offended and sensitive to the words of others than in previous decades. Do you think in the future on another listing, I should preface my question by writing "I know you have a multitude of positive seller comments, so please don't be offended by my request for photos of each comic book. I recently had a bad experience as a buyer without asking enough questions. You have a very interesting lot of comic books."

Old 09-21-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
They are worth total about $100.
What amount did the auction end at? And, out of curiosity, what would you have bid if the seller had sent you the 9 pictures and you were able to confirm they were factory sealed?

Old 09-21-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
There's no evidence that the seller was cheating. There is, however, evidence of a difficult buyer who very well may have been kicking tires. And, even if he wasn't, his bid likely wouldn't have increased the price by much.

Interesting you mention difficult buyer, because in my request for photos, I mention that I have 100% positive feedback as a buyer going back 17 years. I have hundreds of positive comments about me as a buyer from sellers.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:13 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Normally, if a seller doesn't have very many reviews or mixed positive and negative reviews, I would move on to another listing. I did in this case too, but what left me perplexed is this seller had hundreds of positive reviews as a seller going back over ten years, so I'm thinking I may have offended them because they have never been questioned before because their positive reviews speak for themselves.

I will never know if the all 12 comic books in the listing were sealed or not, but the ending selling price was a very good deal for the lucky buyer and is what I would have bid as well.

I think in general people in the United States are more offended and sensitive to the words of others than in previous decades. Do you think in the future on another listing, I should preface my question by writing "I know you have a multitude of positive seller comments, so please don't be offended by my request for photos of each comic book. I recently had a bad experience as a buyer without asking enough questions. You have a very interesting lot of comic books."
You can ask what you want, and a seller is free to reply as they want. The items are worth what the market says they are worth, but the ease of the transaction also figures into your cost. So if you don't think it's worth it to buy from someone who won't answer all your questions, all you can do is move on. Unless you have a high tolerance for risk.

In any case, in the future you can ask what you want, but regardless of how you word it you won't be able to guarantee that someone will comply.

As far as society being more sensitive, that isn't really relevant to your situation. I would venture that people have always been sensitive about being insulted, but some groups are more able to express that nowadays.

I think it's more likely that there are so many more online transactions these days that sellers won't waste time on a more demanding buyer if they don't have to.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
What amount did the auction end at? And, out of curiosity, what would you have bid if the seller had sent you the 9 pictures and you were able to confirm they were factory sealed?

The auction ended at around $50, which is the amount I would have bid if the seller sent me the 9 photos, confirming they were factory sealed.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
The auction ended at around $50, which is the amount I would have bid if the seller sent me the 9 photos, confirming they were factory sealed.
I rest my case.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
You can ask what you want, and a seller is free to reply as they want. The items are worth what the market says they are worth, but the ease of the transaction also figures into your cost. So if you don't think it's worth it to buy from someone who won't answer all your questions, all you can do is move on. Unless you have a high tolerance for risk.

In any case, in the future you can ask what you want, but regardless of how you word it you won't be able to guarantee that someone will comply.

As far as society being more sensitive, that isn't really relevant to your situation. I would venture that people have always been sensitive about being insulted, but some groups are more able to express that nowadays.

I think it's more likely that there are so many more online transactions these days that sellers won't waste time on a more demanding buyer if they don't have to.

This situation reminds me of my friend who purchased a used car from a private party, but before he handed over the bank cashier's check issued in the presence of the seller to the seller, my friend requested that the seller accompany him to the Department of Motor Vehicles with the title in hand so the clerk could verify on the agency's computer that the title to the car had no hidden liens, such as title loans lien or a child support lien that weren't printed on the title. The seller was accommodating to wait over an hour to see a clerk and once it was verified there were no liens, the check was handed over to the seller.

I can imagine that a lot of people selling a car would grumble and not want to do this. They might be insulted and retort by telling you what an upstanding citizen they are and about their noble profession, civic activities, club memberships etc.. No amount of telling a seller that if a buyer is sold a car with a title loan lien or child support lien, then it cannot be titled in the new buyer's name, until those liens are released. Basically, as a buyer you could pay thousands of dollars for a car you cannot register because of hidden liens.

I have a feeling that there are many of these potential private vehicle sales in the United States daily that do not come to fruition because a seller is unwilling to accommodate a buyer because of seller hubris or a seller feeling insulted.

Perhaps this happened to me with the comic books.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:34 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,550,944 times
Quote:

I think the “I recently had a bad experience” line is good for softening your request (even if you did not really have one). Maybe add “because the description wasn’t entirely clear to me.” (Take the blame.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships