Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 06:53 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,229,353 times

Advertisements

I emailed a seller on an auction site who advertised a lot of 12 sealed comic books, but the photos only showed three of the sealed comic books and not the rest, which were in different protective jackets and spread out in the form of a fan in a photo to where you could not tell if the comic books behind the protective jackets were factory sealed or not. I message seller asking if all the comic books are sealed, to which the seller responds in a matter of a few minutes, as far I can tell, yes. I then message seller asking if seller could provide a photo(s) showing all the sealed comic books, obviously so I would have proof that indeed all of them are sealed and for transparency, so there is no misunderstanding. I receive no response, so I obviously do not bid on item.

In other listings of large lots of comic books, sellers show photo of each item and sometimes are willing to provide more photos of item on request. The item happened to be comic books, but I've seen it for various other items as well.

If a seller is listing a lot of 12 sealed comic books, a buyer would reasonably expect all 12 comic books to be sealed, so good thing I asked the question. If the other 9 comic books were not sealed, then who knows what markings, etc., they could have, and then I would have had to file a case, etc, which is a hassle.

The seller has listed hundreds of items in the past, so it's not as if she/he is unfamiliar with digital cameras and uploading. It might have taken an extra 5-7 minutes of their time sending me photos of the other 9 comic books, to where I could see they are factory sealed.

What is the likelihood that my question challenged the veracity and honesty of the seller and the seller was offended by my request, vs the seller had something to hide (i.e. other comic books were not sealed)?

If I would have received photos of the other 9 comic books showing they are sealed, i would have placed a bid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 07:17 PM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times
What was the total approximate value? I'm guessing not much since the seller fanned 9 of the 12.

I'd say the seller didn't feel your request was reasonable for a low valued item. Or just not worth his/her time. And the seller already had answered your question. "as far I can tell, yes"

Old 09-21-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
What was the total approximate value? I'm guessing not much since the seller fanned 9 of the 12.

I'd say the seller didn't feel your request was reasonable for a low valued item. Or just not worth his/her time. And the seller already had answered your question. "as far I can tell, yes"

They are worth total about $100. "As far as I can tell, isn't definitive, and not a straightforward answer. It gives the seller an out.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:11 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
There's no sense in trying to figure out his behavior. It's just a sign for you to do business with someone else who operates in a way that makes you feel comfortable.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
They are worth total about $100. "As far as I can tell, isn't definitive, and not a straightforward answer. It gives the seller an out.
You said it was also advertised as "a lot of 12 sealed comic books". There's no out.

All things considered, I feel your request was unreasonable. If I were the seller, I wouldn't have taken and uploaded 9 additional images.

The seller was satisfied with the way he/she listed it.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
You said it was also advertised as "a lot of 12 sealed comic books". There's no out.

All things considered, I feel your request was unreasonable. If I were the seller, I wouldn't have taken and uploaded 9 additional images.

The seller was satisfied with the way he/she listed it.
Then I wonder why the seller had an uncertain response to my question if all 12 were sealed or not? A seller who has nothing to hide would be happy to show more photos. Now, if society and the country's culture has changed to where a seller is offended if you ask for proof or evidence when buying something for $100 sight unseen, then that's a new concept for me and probably for many others.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:30 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Then I wonder why the seller had an uncertain response to my question if all 12 were sealed or not? A seller who has nothing to hide would be happy to show more photos. Now, if society and the country's culture has changed to where a seller is offended if you ask for proof or evidence when buying something for $100 sight unseen, then that's a new concept for me and probably for many others.
Unscrupulous sellers certainly are not a new concept.

He may be one, or he may just be lazy. Or HE may have been offended that you didn't trust him. Whatever the reason, he's not the one you want to deal with so ...

Old 09-21-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Dude, I really doubt the seller was offended or had anything to hide.

The message the seller was sending you is that he/she doesn't care if you bid. Accommodating you wasn't worth his/her time.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Unscrupulous sellers certainly are not a new concept.

He may be one, or he may just be lazy. Or HE may have been offended that you didn't trust him. Whatever the reason, he's not the one you want to deal with so ...

True. However, if there is a new trend in society where people are offended for questioning their veracity, then a buyer like me might miss out on a good deal.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Dude, I really doubt the seller was offended or had anything to hide.

The message the seller was sending you is that he/she doesn't care if you bid. Accommodating you wasn't worth his/her time.

I disagree. I believe it's either because the seller had something to hide or was offended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships