Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2019, 05:23 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
This was pretty much my moms attitude. She found out she had multiple mets at age 75. Having lived with lifelong anxiety and depression, and fearful of eventual dementia, she chose no treatment. Didn’t even biopsy to determine origin.

Many in the family considered this suicide, but I understood where she was coming from. She went into hospice and died 3weeks later.
This has zero to do with the OP's situation. He's 30, no mets, and an early stage highly curable cancer. But he's not doing any treatment at all because a) it is possible it might not work and b) it might be unpleasant to go through.

He's choosing death, it's not choosing him. Slow motion suicide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 05:42 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,367,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundedjames View Post
I have been diagnosed with kidney cancer and my family does not accept that I'm refusing treatment. I can perfectly understand trying to change to my mind at first, since it's a shock and I would surely do the same in their place.

However, it comes to a point when you have to accept the decision. My mother and my brothers keep coming at me to try to change my mind at every opportunity. I've tried to explain that as if this isn't hard enough already, they are just making it harder. Instead of counting on their support, I'm usually angry at them.

Has anyone ever dealt with a similar situation in their family?

How old are you and what stage is your cancer?

Old 09-24-2019, 05:58 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,367,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
If you were my son, I wouldn't support you either. It's one thing to be at an end stage and decide that whatever limited benefit there was from further treatment wouldn't be worth it. Families often still have a tough time accepting that, but I think it's a reasonable decision. That is completely different from having Stage 2 (and seems like only marginally into Stage 2 because of tumor size) with an extremely good prognosis from surgery alone and even better with some adjuvant therapy and instead, refusing all treatment because you choose to not believe doctors and statistics. You are committing suicide in reality and of course your family isn't going to support that.

Amen!

It's your life to end

But, removal of kidney at this point would be no worse than a kidney donor's removal. You could then elect to have chemo, or not.

But minimal treatment with maximum gain for you

Again, your body, your life, your choice.....Even if it's the wrong choice

Old 09-24-2019, 06:02 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times
How do you feel about holistic treatment? While sitting in the IV lounge at my doc’s, I heard many stories from people who had gotten some extra years from taking vitamin C IVs and other treatments. Most people don’t believe it’s possible but it is. I will be honest though and say that it’s easier to stop the growth of a tumor than it is to actually get rid of it.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:07 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,241,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
This has zero to do with the OP's situation. He's 30, no mets, and an early stage highly curable cancer. But he's not doing any treatment at all because a) it is possible it might not work and b) it might be unpleasant to go through.

He's choosing death, it's not choosing him. Slow motion suicide.
I wasn’t referring to OP, I quoted the post by cis_love.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:08 PM

22 posts, read 21,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
How do you feel about holistic treatment? While sitting in the IV lounge at my doc’s, I heard many stories from people who had gotten some extra years from taking vitamin C IVs and other treatments. Most people don’t believe it’s possible but it is. I will be honest though and say that it’s easier to stop the growth of a tumor than it is to actually get rid of it.
Useless. I'm always surprised how even well-educated people fall for that holistic trap and believe all that cr*p.

The fact that I think traditional treatments are not good doesn't mean that doing a "lemon diet", cleasing auras or arranging crystals will cure cancer.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:09 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
Quote:
Obviously, I did not tell her the real reason I was breaking up with her. Had to make up some stupid reason that unfortunately left her in tears.

I forbade my family of telling her the truth and believe they have respected that wish. Had they informed her, she would have contacted me by now.
This is really twisted.

You have issues, OP.

Very passive-aggressive.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:10 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
Quote:
Useless. I'm always surprised how even well-educated people fall for that holistic trap and believe all that cr*p.

The fact that I think traditional treatments are not good doesn't mean that doing a "lemon diet", cleasing auras or arranging crystals will cure cancer.
I'm always surprised that people who have some disease can be so hard-headed.

You don't know what works or what doesn't work.

And you have a terrible attitude.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:13 PM

18,103 posts, read 15,683,109 times
OK I think I'm convinced.

OP is suicidal (maybe he's been depressed for a long time) and this is a passive way to end it all, letting nature takes its course.

I'm not sure why he posted in the first place since he's not looking for advice, assistance, or information.

Good luck, OP. As long as you're at peace with your decision, you don't need anyone's approval.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:13 PM

22 posts, read 21,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
This is really twisted.

You have issues, OP.

Very passive-aggressive.
I would really like if you could explain since I did that with my best intentions. I really wanted to protect her from all the gloom that's heading my way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships