Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 02:58 PM

22 posts, read 21,094 times

Advertisements

I have been diagnosed with kidney cancer and my family does not accept that I'm refusing treatment. I can perfectly understand trying to change to my mind at first, since it's a shock and I would surely do the same in their place.

However, it comes to a point when you have to accept the decision. My mother and my brothers keep coming at me to try to change my mind at every opportunity. I've tried to explain that as if this isn't hard enough already, they are just making it harder. Instead of counting on their support, I'm usually angry at them.

Has anyone ever dealt with a similar situation in their family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 03:10 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,386,823 times
Just curious, why are you refusing treatment?

Old 09-23-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Just curious, why are you refusing treatment?
Having had 5 close family members who died from cancer after going through treatments, I believe the burdens and pain of the treatment far outweight the benefits. I'll not put myself through the rollescoaster of building expectations and having them crushed all the time. I'll not go through the uncertain and the unexpected. I prefer certainty.

I also do not believe life is somewhat precious. Mine certainly isn't. We interfere too much with our own health. The amount of suffering people go through because "life must be kept at all costs" is beyong insanity.

Mind you, not going ahead with treatment also means suffering. But at least in this case you know what's expecting you. And that somewhat gives you a certain comfort.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:23 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,011,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundedjames View Post
Having had 5 close family members who died from cancer after going through treatments, I believe the burdens and pain of the treatment far outweight the benefits. I'll not put myself through the rollescoaster of building expectations and having them crushed all the time. I'll not go through the uncertain and the unexpected. I prefer certainty.

I also do not believe life is somewhat precious. Mine certainly isn't. We interfere too much with our own health. The amount of suffering people go through because "life must be kept at all costs" is beyong insanity.

Mind you, not going ahead with treatment also means suffering. But at least in this case you know what's expecting you. And that somewhat gives you a certain comfort.
Wouldn't you still want pain management and hospice care when the time gets there?

Old 09-23-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:

I mean I suppose but if the treatment can cure you, I think it's worth it.

And your life is a lot more precious than you think! You matter to your family, that's why they are so concerned about you.

Well whatever you choose, I wish you well.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
Wouldn't you still want pain management and hospice care when the time gets there?
Of course I'll go through pain management when the time gets there. Naturally, I would prefer if we treated humans as well as we treat pets and euthanasia and/or assisted-suicide were available.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I mean I suppose but if the treatment can cure you, I think it's worth it.

And your life is a lot more precious than you think! You matter to your family, that's why they are so concerned about you.

Well whatever you choose, I wish you well.
Thank you. I'm sure my family means well and they're only worried. However, they should have accepted that I'm not going back in my decision now.

Having to break up with my girlfriend was the worst, though.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Thank you. I'm sure my family means well and they're only worried. However, they should have accepted that I'm not going back in my decision now.

Having to break up with my girlfriend was the worst, though.
My heart just hurts for you.

If there’s an option to potentially be cured, I do think you should take it.

Sure it’s your decision but ppl who love you probably feel the same way I do. I would absolutely feel the same way about my own family ... like if there is a treatment out there, do it

I mean my 2 cent.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:55 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
foundedjames, I am so sorry for everything you are going through, but I would support you 100%. I have known too many people with cancer who went through months of "torment" with chemo and radiation, only to die anyway. I would rather have six GOOD months instead of a year of mostly agony (not to mention the expense).

Of course, people must decide for themselves what is best for them, and I wish that your family could understand that.

Also, please be selfish and do whatever YOU want. (I know that if I were in your situation, not much would change for me as long as I was able, and that means that I would still be doing a lot of posting! However, I would stop dieting, lol, and eat all the desserts and junk food I wanted!)

Old 09-23-2019, 04:09 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Kidney cancer has a very high survival rate. If it has not spread, more than 90% of people live 5 years (at which point it's considered cured if you've had 5 years of no evidence of disease). Overall, it has a 5 year survival rate of 75%. I guess I'm confused as to why you wouldn't think it was worth it.

If you were my family or a friend, I'd be giving you a hard time too. And if your choice was to refuse treatment, my choice would be to remove myself from the situation. It would be like witnessing a suicide but not trying to intervene.

For the record, I'm an 8 year survivor of stage IV cancer and have been considered cured for the past 3 years. Many of my friends are also cancer survivors, including people who have survived kidney cancer. Even since my diagnosis, there are new drugs, techniques, and therapies that not only cure more people, but make people live with better quality of life. I completely understand those who choose not to pursue treatment due to the frailty of age or really poor prognosticated outcomes. It doesn't seem like either is the case here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships