Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2019, 03:58 PM

586 posts, read 314,108 times

Advertisements

OP,
I think you are giving up too quicky. Two years ago, a 56mm renal cell carcinoma was incidentally found on my right kidney during an MRI for a back injury. After a CT scan to confirm, the surgeon removed 25% of my right kidney robotically. Two days in the hospital. No chemo. No after affects. All follow-up testing has been negative. Cancer is a disease, not an automatic death sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 04:12 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,513,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Ever hear of palliative care?

Some of the posters who work in health care have said they would decline treatment, that is saying something.

It is not that infrequent that people die from the treatment itself, medical errors, hospital pathogens when their immune system is killed off.

When medicine can cure or treat cancer without slicing and dicing people up, burning them with radiation, poisoning and attacking their entire immune system, then we have a win. Until then we are in barbaric territory. We should be ashamed we haven't been able to move beyond these approaches when we have such fast progress with technology and have almost cured HIV.
People were siding with him when they thought it was advanced stage 4 and almost certainly terminal. Then he said he was 30 and it’s only stage 2 and only mildly aggressive. That’s a whole different kettle of fish.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:22 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Declining treatment is a perfectly valid choice. It is shameful of any doctor who drops a patient over it. If a patient puts a limit on the treatment they will accept, the doctors take it personally, or something.

One might decide they will accept surgery and radiation but not chemo. That is not good enough because medicine decides the poison is part of the standard recommended treatment plan and who are you as patient to choose something else for yourself. So why bother.
Not when the OP is 30 years old with a highly treatable stage 2 cancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Well, as someone who agrees with you, I wish you the best. I too would refuse treatment. I care not for this life, have been abused by the very family that supposedly loves me and would rather cut them off from my life and hope to one day.
See above. The OP is only 30 with highly treatable cancer.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:53 PM

11,788 posts, read 12,024,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Not when the OP is 30 years old with a highly treatable stage 2 cancer.

See above. The OP is only 30 with highly treatable cancer.
Or maybe not.

He is also not a member.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:59 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,603,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Not interested in “when reality is no longer what it is”. You live one life. There is no other. There is no afterlife. You were born when medical technology is what it is, and there is no choice at any other. So you make the best of it.

Palliative care is for 80 year olds or stage 4.9 hospice. Not for a 30 year old with a mental illness that obscures his comprehension of reality, and causes him to choose death over life. If I’m a doctor, I’m not giving this patient palliative care. It is a violation of the Hippocratic Oath (Do no harm). Palliative care given to someone with a mental condition who is utilizing his disease as a means of suicide is doing great harm.
A person does not have a “mental illness” just because they refuse cancer treatment at age 30. It’s not up to us to decide that it’s OK for an older adult to refuse treatment, but a younger adult MUST do everything they can to keep on living. The OP never asked to be born, so why MUST he fight for his life just because you all think that he should if he doesn’t really want to? Deciding that the life you’ve lived up until age 30 has been enough and accepting that you’re ok with not living long enough to grow old is NOT a mental illness.

Old 09-25-2019, 05:22 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundedjames View Post
Obviously, I did not tell her the real reason I was breaking up with her. Had to make up some stupid reason that unfortunately left her in tears.

I forbade my family of telling her the truth and believe they have respected that wish. Had they informed her, she would have contacted me by now.
Well aren't you a sweetheart.

If I was your mom, I would feel that I was a failure, having raised such a miserably unhappy child. I feel very sorry for your parents. My sympathies are with them.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:16 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
Or maybe not.

He is also not a member.
He explained this several times through the thread that he is 30 years old and the cancer is stage two.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:17 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundedjames View Post
Useless. I'm always surprised how even well-educated people fall for that holistic trap and believe all that cr*p.

The fact that I think traditional treatments are not good doesn't mean that doing a "lemon diet", cleasing auras or arranging crystals will cure cancer.
Suit yourself. But you should know that I’m still alive and thriving six years past dx with stage III breast cancer—all holistic— and it didn’t involve any of the modalities that you mentioned. From what you said there, you pretty much proved that you know very little about what is involved in holistic treatment.

Also, I didn’t say it would cure it but I did say it could buy you time and then if you decided a year later you want to check out you can, or go ahead and get conventional treatment. What I discovered was that the quality of my life improved so much that I decided that I want to live, whereas that was questionable before.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:57 PM

91 posts, read 59,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
A person does not have a “mental illness” just because they refuse cancer treatment at age 30. It’s not up to us to decide that it’s OK for an older adult to refuse treatment, but a younger adult MUST do everything they can to keep on living. The OP never asked to be born, so why MUST he fight for his life just because you all think that he should if he doesn’t really want to? Deciding that the life you’ve lived up until age 30 has been enough and accepting that you’re ok with not living long enough to grow old is NOT a mental illness.
This. It's been mentioned a few times that the OP is no longer a member of this forum. I suspect he left because he got fed up with being berated by people who think it's their place to tell him how he should act, how he should think, how he should feel, & what he should allow other people to do to HIS body.

If he got anything out of this thread it's probably just a feeling of gratitude that these control freaks are only squawking at him on a forum, they're not people he has to deal with in real life.

Old 09-25-2019, 11:45 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,664,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Hill View Post
This. It's been mentioned a few times that the OP is no longer a member of this forum. I suspect he left because he got fed up with being berated by people who think it's their place to tell him how he should act, how he should think, how he should feel, & what he should allow other people to do to HIS body.

If he got anything out of this thread it's probably just a feeling of gratitude that these control freaks are only squawking at him on a forum, they're not people he has to deal with in real life.
I agree. My first thought was that he reminds me of my husband. From the time we got married (mid 20's) he has always upheld his position that he wouldn't fight against all but the most treatable cancers (skin). He had all grandparents and a mother die of it. His first cousin fought it a few years ago. Genetics aren't on his side.

I have always respected his decision and his mindfulness and especially of his acceptance about the inevitable. We are lucky that we've not had to deal with this yet. But if you follow me in the personal finance forum you know that over the last ten years we have pretty much directed all our finances to set me up for his early passing.

I wish this forum had given OP a little more grace. He deserves nothing else...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships