Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 08:58 AM

80 posts, read 33,089 times

Advertisements

I don't think so. Women can be happy for their friends who are also women, but in pop culture, we've seen them always being pitted against each other. Might be one reason for suspecting if female friendships are really genuine, but they're just that, suspicions. Just less competition among men also doesn't mean better friendships. You don't know if these people struggle to forge a deep friendship because they're used to shutting down when there are problems -- I know a lot of men like this.

Don't generalize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 10:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You don't understand friendships among men, which are indeed very different. Women define friendships by their needs, while men define friendships by shared experience and loyalty.
Who “defines” friendships? I don’t. Women do have friendships that are marked by shared experiences. You think women don’t talk about childbirth? You think we don’t understand when another woman has marital or job troubles?

I spent every Saturday for a year and a half visiting with my friend who was dying. You think we did not share with each other? Do you imagine our “shared experience” as she gradually weakened was not intense and loving?

Honestly, who comes up this sort of stuff?

I simply don’t care to “define” or categorize friendships. If you want to think that men’s way of friendship is innately different and superior, go ahead and think it. But you do not get to categorize how I, or any other woman does friendship.

Old 10-02-2019, 02:16 AM

1,892 posts, read 2,534,821 times
Very hard to even say generally speaking if men or women are better friends. First off what defines "better"? Secondly, not a single person on earth can have first hand experience of same sex friendships between both men and women. So everything will be based on what you hear. IMO the nature of friendships of men with other men and women with other women are different, but neither one is better than the other. Then again, since I'm a man I can't possibly know first hand how friendships are between women and vice versa for any woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships