Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 08:22 AM

115 posts, read 61,702 times

Advertisements

I have always felt that the kind of friendship men have with their buddies is way more genuine than what women have with other women. Even when I was growing up, I could sense that girls always tried to compete, were less willing to help out a friend (homework etc), picked friends based on superficialities (beauty, grades, how rich your parents were).

Now as an adult, my perception hasn't changed much. I don't think women are genuinely happy for their female friends and want the best for them. When they feel threatened in anyway, they don't hesitate to throw you under the bus. If nothing else, there is this subconscious competition they have going on with you, from how pretty you might be compared to them to who gets wife-ed up first and by who etc.

I am sure there might be jealousies and egos with male friendship too, but despite that I still think men are willing to go to the lengths for their male friends that they wouldn't even for their women.

I guess I want to know what do men compete on with their 'friends'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 08:34 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnuluck View Post
I have always felt that the kind of friendship men have with their buddies is way more genuine than what women have with other women. Even when I was growing up, I could sense that girls always tried to compete, were less willing to help out a friend (homework etc), picked friends based on superficialities (beauty, grades, how rich your parents were).

Now as an adult, my perception hasn't changed much. I don't think women are genuinely happy for their female friends and want the best for them. When they feel threatened in anyway, they don't hesitate to throw you under the bus. If nothing else, there is this subconscious competition they have going on with you, from how pretty you might be compared to them to who gets wife-ed up first and by who etc.

I am sure there might be jealousies and egos with male friendship too, but despite that I still think men are willing to go to the lengths for their male friends that they wouldn't even for their women.

This is all poppycock. Completely ridiculous, and down right wrong.

Next??

Old 09-24-2019, 09:01 AM

115 posts, read 61,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
This is all poppycock. Completely ridiculous, and down right wrong.

Next??
This is all poppycock. Downright ridiculous and does not add any value. If you have better argument then present it.

Next??

Old 09-24-2019, 09:23 AM

Good luck. Look at all the people rushing to give their opinions on a tired subject.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:33 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
Quote:

As a woman, I disagree with all of this.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:37 AM

171 posts, read 79,579 times
I will just speak for myself:

If my (very good) friend from US texted me and told me he is not OK (he has been struggling with some life, mental issues) I am opening google, booking ticket, telling my manager I am off for holiday and I am off to CA....

But this goes for best friends.

As for "average" friends, I don't know: I always show respect to people, loyalty to friends, but O choose who I talk to and don't care about the rest. From my experience, women are more prone to have wider social cycles, but are less firm in structure.

So my answer would be: Yes and No. Men and woman might see friendship tiny bit differently.

From my experience.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:50 AM

And here's my experience.

I've known my best friend for close to 30 years.

A few years ago, when she and her husband were having problems, and it looked like they were going to divorce, she moved in with me and my family, until she could get on her feet, for about 4 months, until she could get a job and find an apartment. I went to the "nth" for her (with my husband's support). And I would do it all again. And I have no doubt she'd do the same for me if needed.

I resent being told that I'm shallow, competitive, and want to throw the other females in my life under the bus.

This sounds like, to ME, another attempt to trash women, and it's a tiresome topic.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:51 AM

1,456 posts, read 516,109 times
Quote:

Male and female friendships do have a different dynamic but this can only be considered as a difference in averages for no same rule applies to every single friendship or even person.

The research suggests that male type brains are more geared toward systemizing ("drive to analyze or build a rule-based system") and female brains toward empathizing. This translates into the kind of relationships individuals pursue, so those with male type brains (including women) will seek associations that focus on hobbies, sports, and other structured activities where one can pursue individual success whilst still bonding over the loyalties implied within the rule structure of the joint activity etc.

Those with female type brains (including men) on average are more focused on relationships that bring out their empathizing side, those that engage social pretence and where higher standing is usually a sign of relatability, reciprocity, and collaboration. As female type brains are more geared toward communication this too affects the way in which these friendships are sustained through socially enabling language.

Because their approach to relationships differ, I think it's misleading to compare women's degree of happiness to that of men for these relationships simply meet different needs.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
Male and female friendships do have a different dynamic but this can only be considered as a difference in averages for no same rule applies to every single friendship or even person.

The research suggests that male type brains are more geared toward systemizing ("drive to analyze or build a rule-based system") and female brains toward empathizing. This translates into the kind of relationships individuals pursue, so those with male type brains (including women) will seek associations that focus on hobbies, sports, and other structured activities where one can pursue individual success whilst still bonding over the loyalties implied within the rule structure of the joint activity etc.

Those with female type brains (including men) on average are more focused on relationships that bring out their empathizing side, those that engage social pretence and where higher standing is usually a sign of relatability, reciprocity, and collaboration. As female type brains are more geared toward communication this too affects the way in which these friendships are sustained through socially enabling language.

Because their approach to relationships differ, I think it's misleading to compare women's degree of happiness to that of men for these relationships simply meet different needs.

Good post! Sounds fair.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:08 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
To the OP: sweeping generalizations are never accurate. And, you don’t understand friendships among women, either.

So yeah, poppycock!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships