Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 07:26 AM

3 posts, read 3,154 times

Advertisements

My parents have been married for 40 years. My brothers and I have always known their marriage was a sham even though from the outside it all looked good. They never really argued (at least in front of us) and we've never witness them being openly disrespectful towards each other.

We are much closer to our mother, who basically took care of everything when we were young. My father was always the distant type, only asking on occasion if we needed something and sort of leading in his own life. They are too completely different people and have always looked more like business partners than a couple. They have totally different interests and spend loads of time apart.

Even though I was not aware of that when I was a child, I've always suspected my father had other relationships since my teens. For a period I would randomly see him exchanging messages with other women (but he didn't notice I saw it).

Well, last Friday I happened to find him in a restaurant having dinner with another woman. Even though I already knew it, it came as sort of a shock. They were just talking but I'm sure she wasn't a "friend".

Of course it''s not my place to meddle into their marriage but when I first saw him after that event, I just couldn't look at him the same way anymore. We don't have much of a close relationship but still, he's my father.

Not really asking a question here, just trying to vent a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 07:50 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
If your parents made the decision to stay together for their children, they may have an "understanding."

Old 09-25-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If your parents made the decision to stay together for their children, they may have an "understanding."
Perhaps that's the case. It's still strange to know for a fact that it's all a sham.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:14 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Well, that must've been difficult to see.

My DIL found out that her father has another family in a different state, while still married to her mother. It is what it is. In that case, we think her mom stays married for financial reasons.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:22 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
I wouldn't necessarily consider it a "sham." It's an arrangement that appears to be working for them or they would have changed it. Your mom could have outside interests, too.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:27 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KipperGravel View Post
My parents have been married for 40 years. My brothers and I have always known their marriage was a sham even though from the outside it all looked good. They never really argued (at least in front of us) and we've never witness them being openly disrespectful towards each other.

We are much closer to our mother, who basically took care of everything when we were young. My father was always the distant type, only asking on occasion if we needed something and sort of leading in his own life. They are too completely different people and have always looked more like business partners than a couple. They have totally different interests and spend loads of time apart.

Even though I was not aware of that when I was a child, I've always suspected my father had other relationships since my teens. For a period I would randomly see him exchanging messages with other women (but he didn't notice I saw it).

Well, last Friday I happened to find him in a restaurant having dinner with another woman. Even though I already knew it, it came as sort of a shock. They were just talking but I'm sure she wasn't a "friend".

Of course it''s not my place to meddle into their marriage but when I first saw him after that event, I just couldn't look at him the same way anymore. We don't have much of a close relationship but still, he's my father.

Not really asking a question here, just trying to vent a little.
You do a lot of assuming, knowing and snooping.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
I wouldn't necessarily consider it a "sham." It's an arrangement that appears to be working for them or they would have changed it. Your mom could have outside interests, too.
Yes, I also believe that's probably the case.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:32 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KipperGravel View Post
Yes, I also believe that's probably the case.
There were a number of parallel thought trains presented by the other poster. Which one(s) are you responding to?

Old 09-25-2019, 10:23 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You do a lot of assuming, knowing and snooping.

Where was he snooping? He said he would randomly see his father exchanging messages with various women. That's not snooping.

He walked into a restaurant and saw his father dining with a woman. That's not snooping.

The son (OP) IS making some assumptions, which MIGHT be wrong...but he's not snooping.

Old 09-25-2019, 11:02 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Where was he snooping? He said he would randomly see his father exchanging messages with various women. That's not snooping.

He walked into a restaurant and saw his father dining with a woman. That's not snooping.

The son (OP) IS making some assumptions, which MIGHT be wrong...but he's not snooping.
"I randomly see him exchanging messages" - hello Junior who I do not have interaction with - here is my text/email traffic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships