Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2019, 12:23 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,185,760 times

Advertisements

Not sure of how to put this but just wondering how others really view those of us who have never been outgoing and intellectual nor in heavy pursuit of what is considered the American Dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 12:43 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Does it matter how others view you? Is that information going to change you?

Honestly, too many people spend way too much time focused on themselves. The whole world is their mirror.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:52 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,185,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Does it matter how others view you? Is that information going to change you?

Honestly, too many people spend way too much time focused on themselves. The whole world is their mirror.

What I'm asking here - and I guess this might not be putting it the right way - I just wonder how others see those who do focus a lot on themselves and as well have other personality and intellectual disorders? Where do you see them belonging if they don't have the ability to change?

Old 09-27-2019, 12:59 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,969,854 times
politics?

Old 09-27-2019, 01:17 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
What I'm asking here - and I guess this might not be putting it the right way - I just wonder how others see those who do focus a lot on themselves and as well have other personality and intellectual disorders? Where do you see them belonging if they don't have the ability to change?
Still don't quite understand your question. There is a huge spectrum of personality types and degrees of self focus, intellectualism. Most find their niche in society, they are not assigned or relegated to one. The people they do know well accept them for who they are. Are you trying to ask whether the people you describe are expected to live their lives camping under bridges? Buried in library or museum archives? Working as graveyard shift warehouse shelf stockers? Manning a call center desk from midnight to 6?

I don't think people like this have any less complex lives than more socially oriented people do. That is a misunderstanding of "complex" and "simple" IMHO. I also don't see how this relates to the "American Dream". A decent definition of this is actually "the ideal by which equal opportunity is available to any American, allowing the highest aspirations and goals to be achieved."

Every person has an individual aspiration. Doesn't matter whether it is to be a brain surgeon or a ditch digger. The point is, if they live in the USA they have the same chance to achieve that as the next person.

FWIW, when I hear someone state they are incapable of change, what I really hear is that they don't want to.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-27-2019 at 01:25 PM..

Old 09-27-2019, 02:02 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
I just wonder how others see those who do focus a lot on themselves and as well have other personality and intellectual disorders? Where do you see them belonging if they don't have the ability to change?
Well, the "others" you speak of are not a hive mind. Each "other" individual will have his/her own perspective based on personal history, personal experiences, personal beliefs, personal relationships, etc.

Which is why it is useless to determine how you should live your life based on what "others" think and believe.

Your question is impossible to answer.

May I ask what you are really looking for? Permission for something?

Old 09-28-2019, 12:55 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:

Are you on the spectrum? Is that it?

Old 09-28-2019, 01:51 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Where in society would you say a non-complex, simple lifestyle, more inward-type person belongs?

Quote:

I worked for several decades as a life skills instructor to young people and adults who were such as the people you are describing. I found that one of several particular environments most of them thrived in, either singly or with groups of like-minded people, was working and doing recreational/creative things outdoors connecting and communicating with Mother Nature and creating beauty with natural things of the earth. Being in gardens, parks, wildlife sanctuaries, wilderness places, etc. working hands-on with the earth, water, rocks, plants, wildlife. Natural things in outdoors environments will draw self-focused people out of themselves and help them to open up to everything and everybody else around them. Not always cooped up in indoors environments which encourages more inwardness, and not being forced to associate with other people who are unable to relate to them and shut them out.

Old 09-28-2019, 02:09 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,535,359 times
A pretty ambiguous question. Where do you see them belonging? What does that even mean? People don't fit into neat little boxes for their whole lives. Life isn't a club where you need to gain acceptance in order to participate. Maybe you're asking how do you socially fit in with others so you at least have some social relationships. Try to find others in your situation so you can relate, just like most other people who look for those similar to them when forming social relationships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships