Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 12:25 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
There were other customers "around" but they were not trying anything on, he was the only one trying on shoes.
You are making an assumption based on nothing. You know what they say about assumptions...

If you go through your days with your prejudice radar at full power, the pump is already primed. You are more likely to find something to get indignant about.

BTW, I've been offered only one shoe for the initial test fit a very few times. Once I'd narrowed the options down I asked for the other shoe to make a final decision. No problem. I am plain ol' white. The shoes happened to be expensive and the mall store was busy. Lots of people in and out. Tough for the staff to keep track of. All it suggested to me was a theft deterrent. Hard to do much with one shoe.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-06-2019 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 12:32 PM

7,139 posts, read 4,552,321 times
I would never buy a pair of shoes that I couldn’t walk around in with both on at the same time. That’s the best way to make sure that they fit correctly.

Old 10-06-2019, 01:30 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,158,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Go back again by yourself, you'll probably be given both pair.
Good idea. Go back by yourself or, better yet, send in a friend who is white. Find out how he was treated and report back. Without knowing if that was store policy or not, I can't draw the same conclusion as you. It's possible the clerk was just busy and overwhelmed by herself and didn't have time for multiple trips to the back. But I also believe that racial profiling is a thing, so...who knows.

Old 10-06-2019, 01:46 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
I don't know if you were profiled or not, but I would never buy a pair of shoes after trying on only one shoe. The clerk was certainly losing lots of sales or causing lots of returns by doing this. I'd wonder what the official store policy was - you could go back and ask the manager or another clerk.

Old 10-06-2019, 01:58 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
krosser, it was probably company policy.

Trying On, Selling and Stealing Sneakers, One Shoe at a Time
I would never buy a pair of shoes from a store with that policy. NEVER.

How can you possibly know how the shoes will look and feel unless you try them both on at the same time and walk in them?

Old 10-06-2019, 02:18 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,956,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I would never buy a pair of shoes that I couldn’t walk around in with both on at the same time. That’s the best way to make sure that they fit correctly.
This. I need a wide width and one of my feet is slightly bigger than the other one, so I need to try on both, not to mention you need to walk around in them to see how they feel.

Old 10-06-2019, 02:53 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Wow. I've never heard of this policy.

I need both shoes at the same time.

Sorry this happened to your friend.

Old 10-06-2019, 04:22 PM

672 posts, read 699,793 times
I think the one shoe thing is something relatively new, like the last couple of years new. I buy most of my shoes offline, so when I did go to buy some shoes at the store they only brought one shoe out. I asked 'when did they start doing that?'. I was told that some of the popular shoes, people would try them on and run out the store. So they give you one shoe and you get the other shoe at the cashiers counter once you pay for it. So, unless you tried some shoes on at the same time and the gave you both pairs you have no real way of knowing whether it was a case of discrimination or store policy. Don't read to much into it, there are bigger fish to fry when it comes to discrimination.

Old 10-06-2019, 04:24 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
This is another reason people are shopping online now and retail stores are dying.

If you shop online, you don't have to deal with ignorance, attitude or biases of minimum wage sales clerks.

Old 10-06-2019, 04:32 PM

7,596 posts, read 4,166,702 times
If it bothered you so much, you really should have observed how other customers were treated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships