Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 11:21 AM

21,944 posts, read 9,513,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It’s easy to laugh when it hasn’t been a repeated experience through your life time, but for Black people it very often is. I’m more famous example is with Oprah Winfrey years ago where they would not buzz her into a store (they didn’t know who she was, only saw a black face).
That's total crap. The store was CLOSED. Would you expect them to let me, a white person in, after store hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 11:27 AM

21,944 posts, read 9,513,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Wow.

If it is a store that experiences a lot of thefts, they may put policies in place to minimize losses. If the store is in a minority neighborhood, it is not the store's fault if they have a high rate of thefts.
It doesn't even have to be in a minority neighborhood. They don't talk much about them because it's not PC but gangs of thieves are doing 'smash n grabs' in high end shopping districts across the country. They ram a car in the window are crash the window and grab as much as they can. Sometimes they post photos and most of the time they don't. But in every single case when they have, they have been black.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/05...louis-vuitton/

They have done this on the Magnificent Mile in many stores and also in Northbrook. I have read they are doing it in San Francisco but to find out about them, you have to dig. They go against the leftist narrative so they rarely report much on them.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:28 AM

587 posts, read 424,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
That's total crap. The store was CLOSED. Would you expect them to let me, a white person in, after store hours?
Well, it was opened on this day, on another occasion. Though outside the US, but still.

https://www.cnn.com/2013/08/09/world...and/index.html

Old 10-07-2019, 11:30 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I just looked to see if that was accurate. Actually the store was not closed. She asked to see a $38,000 handbag and the clerk refused to give it to her, told her it was too expensive for her.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:45 AM

24,589 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
I just looked to see if that was accurate. Actually the store was not closed. She asked to see a $38,000 handbag and the clerk refused to give it to her, told her it was too expensive for her.
Anything to get her into the news:>) Next time - put your face on before you go shopping or send your personal assistant. I had a summer job at a boutique where Burberry was at the low end. Do you have an idea what kind of people try to get in, handle merchandise and leave with all or part of it?

Krosser has a laundry list of issues with people and when he does not have an issue he will look until he finds one.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:46 AM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Different story.

"Still, this isn't Oprah's first high-end shopping drama. Back in 2005 employees at the Hermes shop in Paris wouldn't let her enter their store to make a quick purchase. That actually blew up into Hermes-gate, with some folks yelling, "They were racist!" and Hermes and others saying, "No, there was a party to set up for and the shop was closed!"- https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...38-000-handbag

Old 10-07-2019, 11:51 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Anything to get her into the news:>) Next time - put your face on before you go shopping or send your personal assistant. I had a summer job at a boutique where Burberry was at the low end. Do you have an idea what kind of people try to get in, handle merchandise and leave with all or part of it?

Krosser has a laundry list of issues with people and when he does not have an issue he will look until he finds one.
Well again, I have witnessed profiling on more than one occasion with my own eyes when out with my friend, so I know it happens.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:55 AM

586 posts, read 314,748 times
It appears your friend was anxious to be offended. I have a bi-racial homosexual couple next door and they seem to have a problem with everything.

Old 10-07-2019, 12:13 PM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongobongo View Post
It appears your friend was anxious to be offended. I have a bi-racial homosexual couple next door and they seem to have a problem with everything.
That is part of the offense culture and result of the divide and conquer strategy. It isn't good for us as a society to make these negative broad assumptions about our neighbors, and be out there sniffing for offenses to the point that most people are expected to be the enemy. That is paranoia and you become the wolf cryer at some point.

Old 10-07-2019, 12:14 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,157,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
Oh, I know that.

It was more about the race than his dressing, I brought that up because there are others who may think how he dressed was a factor (in how he may or may not be treated).
Also the store is 40 mins from where I am at so I can't just ask a white friend to go in to see how they were treated.

With regards to the article that redplum linked, those stores are in parts of Brooklyn with majority people-of-color. Implying racial profiling.

A few have mentioned this is "common practice"
Is it really in areas where the customers are mainly white?

Somehow I doubt he would've been treated the same as a white customer in Beverly Hills.
In other words, you missed the chance to observe how other shoppers were treated and you're willing to put zero effort into finding out if this was company policy or not. But you want us to accept at face value, given no conclusive evidence, that your friend was racially profiled. Got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships