Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 03:45 PM

92 posts, read 42,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Very common for a lot of the women I’ve known to blindly obey whatever stuff their husbands come up with. Some examples I’ve dealt with:

One lady had to finish all her assigned chores before we could go out to lunch. Her husband, my boss, was out of town for the week and the list included washing and polishing the 3 car garage floor. Other chores listed which day to buy groceries, which day to do laundry, etc. This woman had 3 kids and took care of the house. She ended up going to lunch but he tracked her down at the restaurant from out of town to tell her to get home!

One women called me at work to inform me that her husband had decided most of her friends weren’t spiritual enough for her and that included me.

One woman said that her husband had prayed about us going out for 20 minute walk after the kids were in bed a couple times a week. He said we shouldn’t be doing that, it wasn’t “right”.

Another one stayed married to her husband through his drugs and womanizing because it was her duty to. It was her job.

One friend hands over all her money to her husband, doesn’t know what’s paid and what isn’t until she gets the late payment calls. Doesn’t know anything about her their bills. She has 2 degrees and a professional career and he is a truck driver.

Another one makes all the house payments with her money but only the husband’s name is on the mortgage.

Sometimes I think these women like having their husbands tell them what to do. I don’t get it, it certainly isn’t what I prefer. But these women won’t make any plans even for coffe or shopping without asking permission, which they rarely get.
Are these women from older generations, or do you have an unusually old-fashioned group of friends? I just don’t hear anything like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 07:58 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marissamay View Post
Are these women from older generations, or do you have an unusually old-fashioned group of friends? I just don’t hear anything like this.
You'd be surprised. I know a woman who votes how her husband tells her to, doesn't have her own opinions, just states what his opinions are on various subjects. She's like an old-fashioned 1950s wife, she even hates driving and doesn't do it very often. There were a few women in my mother's generation who never drove cars but by the 1970s, it wasn't as common for women to not drive cars. Anyway, it's hard to have an intelligent conversation with this woman.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
You'd be surprised. I know a woman who votes how her husband tells her to, doesn't have her own opinions, just states what his opinions are on various subjects. She's like an old-fashioned 1950s wife, she even hates driving and doesn't do it very often. There were a few women in my mother's generation who never drove cars but by the 1970s, it wasn't as common for women to not drive cars. Anyway, it's hard to have an intelligent conversation with this woman.
I would find it difficult to be friends with someone like that but several? It’s just not relatable views.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:00 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Yeah, it just completely grates me to hear a woman nowadays say her husband won't let her do such and such. Oh, I can't see you this weekend because my husband wants me to clean the house. Oh, my husband won't let me do such and such. And this from highly educated women in their early 50's.

Old 10-18-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I would find it difficult to be friends with someone like that but several? It’s just not relatable views.
I never said she was a friend.

Old 10-18-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I never said she was a friend.
Kayekaye said they were her friends.

Old 10-18-2019, 12:57 PM

Anywayy, if I rejected all my friends over different viewpoints, I probably wouldn't have any friends left.

Old 10-18-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Anywayy, if I rejected all my friends over different viewpoints, I probably wouldn't have any friends left.
I wouldn’t recommend that, but friendships are usually born or nurtured when we have things in common or grew up in the same generation or find someone who is relatable.

I don’t know if I don’t have any friends with those kind of viewpoints about their husbands because of age, or if it’s regional or what it is. I know that if a friend of mine couldn’t meet up with me because her husband wouldn’t allow it or he told her what to do on her job and got her fired, and she didn’t see that as a problem, it’s more than different viewpoints. It’s a very different lifestyle or way of life.

Old 10-18-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I don’t know if I don’t have any friends with those kind of viewpoints about their husbands because of age, or if it’s regional or what it is. I know that if a friend of mine couldn’t meet up with me because her husband wouldn’t allow it or he told her what to do on her job and got her fired, and she didn’t see that as a problem, it’s more than different viewpoints. It’s a very different lifestyle or way of life.
Well, maybe she's in an abusive relationship. It's just something to consider. That sounds like very controlling behavior on the part of the husband, and abusers operate by isolating their victims.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:39 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Well, maybe she's in an abusive relationship. It's just something to consider. That sounds like very controlling behavior on the part of the husband, and abusers operate by isolating their victims.
Yes, they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships