Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 12:17 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,248,643 times

Advertisements

I dont agree that this is inappropriate. It takes a lot to reveal abuse to someone and it takes a lot for a victim to trust someone with their secret. If the roles were reversed people tend to be more sympathetic toward a woman who is being abused. But an abusive wife and mother are equally as dangerous. Saying him confiding in her is taking time from his wife or betraying his wife is tantamount to victim blaming in this case. If everything he is saying is true, he may just be getting to the point of realizing this is abuse and trying to change it. He needs support more than ever.

Support your friend. Encourage him to document document document. There are recording devices that can be hidden in everyday objects, such as pens and watches. Recording a few different encounters of abuse, particularly of the children and he needs to go to the police station and file a restraining order. And get CPS involved. It is an uphill battle for men who are abused which isnt fair but its the way it is. He needs proof/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 12:39 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,141,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
First of all, Bob is engaging in an inappropriate relationship with you. He's sharing intimate feelings and confiding with you, bonding with you over intimate details of both your lives, hiding the relationship with you from his wife...all of that is wrong. There's a really simple test: if you wouldn't do what you're doing in front of your spouse (because she would disapprove) then it's wrong. Bob's wife would have a problem with his relationship with you. It doesn't matter what you or your wife think.
Everything in your first paragraph is true....until abuse is involved. All those emotional rules about marriage get thrown out the window when there is abuse.

Old 10-11-2019, 01:06 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,941,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Everything in your first paragraph is true....until abuse is involved. All those emotional rules about marriage get thrown out the window when there is abuse.
Nope. People who are in abusive relationships need very specific help. These victims need specialized, highly trained people to help them. Unless the OP is specifically trained, she should direct her friend to someone who is.

Again, OP keeping secrets from her wife is a problem, no matter her reasoning.

I repeat, if OP is aware of children being abused, her first responsibility is to them.

By virtue of staring this thread, the OP knows she is in over head. Call the national domestic violence hotline 1-800-799-7233. Urge your friend to do so, too.

I think it's wonderful she's trying to help. I do believe her intentions are good, but intentions aren't enough.

Old 10-11-2019, 01:11 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Quote:
Nope. People who are in abusive relationships need very specific help. These victims need specialized, highly trained people to help them. Unless the OP is specifically trained, she should direct her friend to someone who is.

I repeat, if OP is aware of children being abused, her first responsibility is to them.

By virtue of staring this thread, the OP knows she is in over head. Call the national domestic violence hotline 1-800-799-7233. Urge your friend to do so, too.

I think it's wonderful she's trying to help. I do believe her intentions are good, but intentions aren't enough.
Bob does need therapy, however he needs to get to that step. Until then, the OP being a friend is invaluable in this situation. Bob’s wife is isolating him, having a bit of support is a good thing.

Old 10-11-2019, 01:30 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,071,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
He needs to have his wife arrested for domestic violence. Then he needs to file for a restraining order, followed by filing for a divorce.
My thoughts exactly. If I were Bob, I'd set up some cameras in the common areas of my own home (after getting legal advice, of course) to document the abuse. Maybe he'll get lucky enough that she uses a weapon to hurt him. Hopefully by the time she gets out of jail, the kids will be out of high school.

Old 10-11-2019, 01:48 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
My thoughts exactly. If I were Bob, I'd set up some cameras in the common areas of my own home (after getting legal advice, of course) to document the abuse. Maybe he'll get lucky enough that she uses a weapon to hurt him. Hopefully by the time she gets out of jail, the kids will be out of high school.
That's a good idea. He can set up the cameras when she's not home. He actually does that as a side job, so he's very good at it. He should be able to personally install cameras that are undetectable.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:46 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
That's a good idea. He can set up the cameras when she's not home. He actually does that as a side job, so he's very good at it. He should be able to personally install cameras that are undetectable.
Also tell him to get a digital recorder and keep it in his pocket. They are very good at picking up sounds. He can record their conversations.

How old are the kids? How often are they alone with her? You say very young, so if she's actually hitting out of anger, they might be in actual physical danger.

He needs to see a therapist. He needs to leave this woman, and a therapist can turn him to that viewpoint and help him develop a plan to get out, because neither he nor the kids should live like this.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:52 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Bob does need therapy, however he needs to get to that step. Until then, the OP being a friend is invaluable in this situation. Bob’s wife is isolating him, having a bit of support is a good thing.
Yes. So what if he's keeping secrets from her? She has violated the sanctity of the marriage by abusing her family. She is a violent bully. NO ONE is obligated to any vows in an abusive situation. Moreover, isolated victims begin to see their situation as normal. External support is crucial. And can spur people to take action.

I do not meddle in my friend's marriages, but after a friend vented to me about longstanding problems in her decade-long marriage and her controlling and jealous husband, I asked her very carefully "If you are in this exact same situation a year from now and nothing has changed, will you be content to live your life like this?" There was a long silence, and she finally just said "no." She filed for divorce a couple weeks later. A therapist is great, but FRIENDS are important too.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:34 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Quote:

There's not MUCH she can do, EXCEPT give him the violence hotline. She's got NO contact info for him at all.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:08 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:

I think you're a little confused. Or maybe I'm confused by your post. My wife knows of my friendship with Bob because we have a good relationship. Bob's wife is the only one who doesn't know about it. Also, I'm no domestic violence expert, but I have do have several years of undergraduate and graduate school in Clinical Psychology and I did study the subject in school. It's not so much that I don't know intellectually what should be done as much as how I should be supportive and do the right thing as a friend. It's a balancing act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships